TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Stobart sponsorship deal & truck spotting

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#241 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

But that was the deal the RFL agreed to. Why should Stobart do any more? And it's questionable as to what the deal with the branded trucks is actually worth anyway. Outdoor media campaigns don't usually involve ads on the sides of lorries.

You can buy truck-side ads, but it is probably fair to compare to billboards as the closest comparison.

These can cost up to £1k each for a fortnight.

#242 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

You can buy truck-side ads, but it is probably fair to compare to billboards as the closest comparison.

These can cost up to £1k each for a fortnight.

Not many companies would go for the truck-side ads though (or don't appear to). I'm not convinced you can compare this with billboards either, as they can be highly targeted sites, something the Stobart lorries clearly aren't. I wouldn't say this is a great example of brand awareness either - it might be a good ad for Sky, but not for Super League.

#243 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

The money wasn't great and worth turning down for a gamble. If you accept a low figure, you set a precident for future offers. We've accepted something in kind worth a higher figure. Whether we get that worth I aren't sure, but we need to be pushing for more than 100 trucks IMO.

Isn't it 100 this year another 100 next year and again the next so there should be 300 SL trucks knocking about in the third year

#244 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

Not many companies would go for the truck-side ads though (or don't appear to). I'm not convinced you can compare this with billboards either, as they can be highly targeted sites, something the Stobart lorries clearly aren't. I wouldn't say this is a great example of brand awareness either - it might be a good ad for Sky, but not for Super League.

That's a fair point, although I certainly wouldn't call billboards highly targeted, they themselves have their own issues.

We know the routes that these truck ads will be following, so certain assumptions can be made about the demographic that can be targeted.

The big difference between things like this and billboards is that billboards are often used for a couple of weeks as part of a concentrated campaign, whereas these trucks are being used throughout a three year campaign. I sign off marketing budget at my place of work and would never go for truck advertising as the turnaround will be slow, and a short term focus probably wouldn't work as there is no guaranteed levels of traffic in a very short time period.

To say that truck ads are not commonplace though is not accurate, look at every supermarket truck out there. They are all advertisement boardings.

I suspect that the costs of creating the ads on trucks is massive compared to billboards.

In terms of the creative actually used, I don't disagree and it does look a touch rushed - let's see how the next batch look. That said there are two calls to action, the superleague website and sky sports coverage. It is in RL's interest for 'viewers' of both of these to increase.

#245 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

Wigan again, top of Windy Hill.

I might call it a day when I get to 25, just keep an eye out for the one's I'm missing.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#246 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

Wigan again, top of Windy Hill.

I might call it a day when I get to 25, just keep an eye out for the one's I'm missing.

Do you live on the motorway, as you don't appear to be having the same trouble spotting these as many others are?!?!

I make my first journey from Edinburgh to Warrington next weekend by road, so hopefully will see my first ones.

#247 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Do you live on the motorway, as you don't appear to be having the same trouble spotting these as many others are?!?!

I make my first journey from Edinburgh to Warrington next weekend by road, so hopefully will see my first ones.

Bradford to Westhoughton each weekday, an hour or so there and the same back. I'm usually a passenger. A passenger with a keen eye.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#248 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Still haven't seen one. Bradford to Hull and back last Saturday and I saw 17 Stobbies but not one with any RL markings. Added in with no branding in the grounds it seems the most anonymous sponsorship ever.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#249 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Still haven't seen one. Bradford to Hull and back last Saturday and I saw 17 Stobbies but not one with any RL markings. Added in with no branding in the grounds it seems the most anonymous sponsorship ever.

The lack of branding at the grounds is a strange one tbh. I would have expected the SL logo to go on the shirts (maybe they are still waiting for them) and also on the pitch as a minimum.

I like the principal of what they are looking to do, look at the NRL, they have numerous sponsors on the pitch/posts/ref etc. and it looks like we now have the freedom for that, we just can't get them signed up at the moment.

#250 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

I've seen quite a few now so I've stopped counting.

In fact, I've seen one on almost every big motorway journey I've done recently.

That's me.  I'm done.

#251 Nigel Fax

Nigel Fax
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Seen my first 1, this week (Wednesday) M5 Northbound Junc 11 on my way back from working in Exeter

#252 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

I've seen quite a few now so I've stopped counting.

In fact, I've seen one on almost every big motorway journey I've done recently.

Well, it's good to know there really are some about...........

#253 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Missing Wigan, Catalan, London and the Generic One, the 6.30am M61 Stobart Express has started to deliver duplicates and even on one occasion this week a plain old Stobart branded truck, shocking!

#254 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

Actually disappointed now when I don't spot one so the last 2 weeks has been poor. Not spotted one on my daily scuttle up & down the M56 & was expecting (hoping) to see one on the way up to the lakes & back on Friday. Don't know if its in the deal or has been mentioned elswhere on here but it would be brilliant if they could be used in convoy on / before big matches (exlies, internationals, challenge cup & grand final). Pretty sure that would raise the profile.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#255 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

Actually disappointed now when I don't spot one so the last 2 weeks has been poor. Not spotted one on my daily scuttle up & down the M56 & was expecting (hoping) to see one on the way up to the lakes & back on Friday. Don't know if its in the deal or has been mentioned elswhere on here but it would be brilliant if they could be used in convoy on / before big matches (exlies, internationals, challenge cup & grand final). Pretty sure that would raise the profile.

The Bulls have put out a statement about 'a super league sponsor' putting in an appearance at today's game and I've been hoping it might be a truck - course, I could be adding one and one and getting five....... :unsure:

#256 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

The Bulls have put out a statement about 'a super league sponsor' putting in an appearance at today's game and I've been hoping it might be a truck - course, I could be adding one and one and getting five....... :unsure:

Nope. You were right.

However I'm not gonna count that one on my tally.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#257 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

Travel Leeds-Sheffield-Leeds most working days on the M1 but have yet to see an Eddie RL truck.... In fact haven't seen one anywhere yet.

#258 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

2/20/200 its does not matter this sponsorship deal for SL in real value terms is a BIG 0 and what makes it worse they are stuck with it for 3 years goodbye to a potential £ 4/5 MIllion.

Not true, clubs would have got what, 50/60k a year from the alternative deal, but then wouldn't have been able to agree deals themselves with betting partners, such as the one Wigan recently announced so its far from a "net" 50/60k a year.

#259 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

Nope. You were right.

However I'm not gonna count that one on my tally.

Well I'm counting it on mine!! To be fair, I'm not going to count seeing it again when I watched the recording on telly :cool:

#260 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

I would not have taken the betting deal, SL has been put in this terrible situation by the inability of the marketing department at the RFL to get of their backsides and find a sponsor.

The main problem being is that those that have held this position over the last few years are living in a goldfish bowl (Leeds) and have not had the courage to go out into the marketplace and follow the money which is currently out there.

Not sure thats fair, is anyone really splashing out at the moment on things like sponsorship? I'd imagine a lot of budgets have been slashed and a lot of companies not feeling the pain or still using the current economy as an excuse to cut costs.

Not something I know anything about on this sort of scale but every local team I talk to mucher further down the scale is struggling and barter type deals are becoming the norm there to, especially in the lower depths of non-league football were its a league requirement to "sell" x number of pages of programme sponsorship per season.

You say there in a goldfish bowl, do we know for sure that a 3rd party wasn't employed in the same way that the TV deal is negotiated? Presumably with the deal being struck on the eve of the season either every avenue was exhausted or some serious brinkmanship was being played.

Don't get me wrong I don't think its a deal without faults and don't think the best use is being made of the trucks, but I have yet to hear of a better alternative deal being on the table.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users