Stobart sponsorship deal & truck spotting

Driving from Leeds to Glasgow yesterday, saw no less than four on the M6 between Kendal and Beatock. Passed Huddersfield and London, and saw Warrington and Cas going the other direction all in the space of about an hour and half.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Widnes Vikings lorry heading down the A1 just outside Blythe

poor choice, Matty will have thrown him in touch.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Well then, if you haven`t seen any in a 3 hour journey away from the RFL heartlands then its obviously massively failed. Might as well paint over them all with adverts for Hula Hoops.

Never seen any rugby league trucks in five rugby league club area Devon......

Though I have seen 2 Hula Hoops trucks this week.

Imagine if in 1895 they had internet forums.............rugby league would not exist!

I refuse to believe that any of you have seen any Super League lorries without PICTURES!

Camera in one hand, drive with the other = it's that simple guys!!!*

* ShotgunGold will not be held responsible for any crashes you might sustain

my passenger took got a pic on M62 as we came back from the Widnes game yesterday. I've seen 5 now

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/burybroncos/

Drove 450 miles this weekend Bromley-Batley M11.A1,M62 and saw over 40 Stobart trucks- only one branded one going south at Grantham on Sunday. Couldn't make out any details as we crossed at 130 mph but the player looked to be wearing all red so assume it was Salford. Just about made out the Sky logos but nothing representing Rugby League.

The net value of this 'advertising' looks to me to be about £0.00 and the only way the RL could make it pay would be to require Stobarts to park up their branded trucks at the entrances to Meadowhall/Trafford Centre/Metrocentre/Lakeside etc when they are not delivering. Otherwise it seems a complete non-event to me.

Drove 450 miles this weekend Bromley-Batley M11.A1,M62 and saw over 40 Stobart trucks- only one branded one going south at Grantham on Sunday. Couldn't make out any details as we crossed at 130 mph but the player looked to be wearing all red so assume it was Salford. Just about made out the Sky logos but nothing representing Rugby League.

The net value of this 'advertising' looks to me to be about £0.00 and the only way the RL could make it pay would be to require Stobarts to park up their branded trucks at the entrances to Meadowhall/Trafford Centre/Metrocentre/Lakeside etc when they are not delivering. Otherwise it seems a complete non-event to me.

The money will be made from the co-branding e.g. Heinz

Return drive from Royston Vasey to Exeter, out Thursday back yesterday netted one SL branded vehicle out of about 35 trucks.

On the way south all the Stobarts were the green curtain siders which are not being branded. Coming back north yesterday it was mainly the white box trailers (about 8) of which one had Catalan branding.

Saw a Salford SLEddie ambling West on the M62 yesterday as we were ambling East towards Hull KR. Given that roadworks were slowing both sides down I would imagine a lot of people got a good look at the Salford player!

Someone has also tweeted today that a Saints SLEddie was seen on the M4 earlier. Oh and a mate tweeted that a Saints SLEddie was parked up at Sainsbury's distribution centre in Haydock! (That's in St Helens to the uninitiated)

They do seem to be getting out and about now, and not just in the north too, which is reassuring.

Saw my first one on Friday. It was a Catalans one, on the M4 just by J17 at Chippenham.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

The reason I consider the value to be zero is that if the 'advertising' is driving past you at 70mph and the main logo identified is that of the broadcaster and not the product, what positives is the consumer going to take out of this if he hasn't time to even recognise the product for what it is????

:mellow:

I don't suppose you've ever come across a traffic jam or red lights where you live? If not I'd like to come and live there.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

The reason I consider the value to be zero is that if the 'advertising' is driving past you at 70mph and the main logo identified is that of the broadcaster and not the product, what positives is the consumer going to take out of this if he hasn't time to even recognise the product for what it is????

Presumably though there will be other people driving in the same direction as the lorry. Maybe coming up to overtake and having the image on the back getting larger as you get closer

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

The reason I consider the value to be zero is that if the 'advertising' is driving past you at 70mph and the main logo identified is that of the broadcaster and not the product, what positives is the consumer going to take out of thiis if he hasn't time to even recognise the product for what it is????

That's like saying that tv ads on itv are worthless because people watching bbc cant see them.

tv ads on itv are worthless because people watching bbc cant see them.

Heads must roll at the RFL! :angry:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Couldn't make out any details as we crossed at 130 mph

The bit in bold is probably explained by the bit in italics.

Other encounters may happen at a more sedate pace.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'll try and get my comment outside the quotes this time:

The money will be made from the co-branding e.g. Heinz

There seems to be a complete lack of understanding on this message board as to what Stobarts core business actually is. They are unlikely ever to be involved in a town centre traffic jam whilst delivering to high street stores so that the populace at large can read the ads on the side. Their business is long distance bulk deliveries to and from out of town consolidation/distribution centres. Consequently their trucks will almost always be only seen on motorways and main trunk roads-as the current list of confirmed sightings would seem to demonstrate. How this will permeate the consciousness of RLs target audience is hard to see. Surely the RL need to targeting the young people with disposable incomes who frequent large shopping centres on weekend afternoons instead of attending sporting events. The only people who will notice the trucks at the moment are those of us who are already aware of them and able to identify them at 70mph on the M1. This isn't a game for anoraks- it's supposedly a crucial way of attracting new supporters and I for one don't think it is working.

Archived