Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Stobart sponsorship deal & truck spotting

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#81 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

Drove 450 miles this weekend Bromley-Batley M11.A1,M62 and saw over 40 Stobart trucks- only one branded one going south at Grantham on Sunday. Couldn't make out any details as we crossed at 130 mph but the player looked to be wearing all red so assume it was Salford. Just about made out the Sky logos but nothing representing Rugby League.

The net value of this 'advertising' looks to me to be about £0.00 and the only way the RL could make it pay would be to require Stobarts to park up their branded trucks at the entrances to Meadowhall/Trafford Centre/Metrocentre/Lakeside etc when they are not delivering. Otherwise it seems a complete non-event to me.

#82 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

Drove 450 miles this weekend Bromley-Batley M11.A1,M62 and saw over 40 Stobart trucks- only one branded one going south at Grantham on Sunday. Couldn't make out any details as we crossed at 130 mph but the player looked to be wearing all red so assume it was Salford. Just about made out the Sky logos but nothing representing Rugby League.

The net value of this 'advertising' looks to me to be about £0.00 and the only way the RL could make it pay would be to require Stobarts to park up their branded trucks at the entrances to Meadowhall/Trafford Centre/Metrocentre/Lakeside etc when they are not delivering. Otherwise it seems a complete non-event to me.

The money will be made from the co-branding e.g. Heinz

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#83 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

The net value of this 'advertising' looks to me to be about £0.00

What is that based on?

Why do companies use outdoor media for advertising if it's worthless?

#84 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Return drive from Royston Vasey to Exeter, out Thursday back yesterday netted one SL branded vehicle out of about 35 trucks.
On the way south all the Stobarts were the green curtain siders which are not being branded. Coming back north yesterday it was mainly the white box trailers (about 8) of which one had Catalan branding.

#85 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

The reason I consider the value to be zero is that if the 'advertising' is driving past you at 70mph and the main logo identified is that of the broadcaster and not the product, what positives is the consumer going to take out of this if he hasn't time to even recognise the product for what it is????

#86 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Saw a Salford SLEddie ambling West on the M62 yesterday as we were ambling East towards Hull KR. Given that roadworks were slowing both sides down I would imagine a lot of people got a good look at the Salford player!

Someone has also tweeted today that a Saints SLEddie was seen on the M4 earlier. Oh and a mate tweeted that a Saints SLEddie was parked up at Sainsbury's distribution centre in Haydock! (That's in St Helens to the uninitiated)

They do seem to be getting out and about now, and not just in the north too, which is reassuring.

Edited by Saintslass, 20 February 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#87 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

Wigan ticked, M62 westbound between J20-J21, I was heading home east, 5.20pm-ish.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#88 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

Saw my first one on Friday. It was a Catalans one, on the M4 just by J17 at Chippenham.

That's me.  I'm done.

#89 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

The reason I consider the value to be zero is that if the 'advertising' is driving past you at 70mph and the main logo identified is that of the broadcaster and not the product, what positives is the consumer going to take out of this if he hasn't time to even recognise the product for what it is????

:mellow:

I don't suppose you've ever come across a traffic jam or red lights where you live? If not I'd like to come and live there.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#90 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Presumably though there will be other people driving in the same direction as the lorry. Maybe coming up to overtake and having the image on the back getting larger as you get closer

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#91 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

The reason I consider the value to be zero is that if the 'advertising' is driving past you at 70mph and the main logo identified is that of the broadcaster and not the product, what positives is the consumer going to take out of thiis if he hasn't time to even recognise the product for what it is????

That's like saying that tv ads on itv are worthless because people watching bbc cant see them.

#92 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

tv ads on itv are worthless because people watching bbc cant see them.

Heads must roll at the RFL! :angry:

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#93 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

Couldn't make out any details as we crossed at 130 mph

The bit in bold is probably explained by the bit in italics.

Other encounters may happen at a more sedate pace.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#94 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

I'll try and get my comment outside the quotes this time:

The money will be made from the co-branding e.g. Heinz

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#95 M j M

M j M
  • Coach
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

Did a round trip to Kent on Saturday/Sunday and passed three of the branded trailers - one an all white shirt (?), a Hull one and a Salford one. Not a bad return :)

Edited by M j M, 21 February 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#96 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

There seems to be a complete lack of understanding on this message board as to what Stobarts core business actually is. They are unlikely ever to be involved in a town centre traffic jam whilst delivering to high street stores so that the populace at large can read the ads on the side. Their business is long distance bulk deliveries to and from out of town consolidation/distribution centres. Consequently their trucks will almost always be only seen on motorways and main trunk roads-as the current list of confirmed sightings would seem to demonstrate. How this will permeate the consciousness of RLs target audience is hard to see. Surely the RL need to targeting the young people with disposable incomes who frequent large shopping centres on weekend afternoons instead of attending sporting events. The only people who will notice the trucks at the moment are those of us who are already aware of them and able to identify them at 70mph on the M1. This isn't a game for anoraks- it's supposedly a crucial way of attracting new supporters and I for one don't think it is working.

#97 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

The flickr group has seen one in the wild in Perth
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#98 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

Would be interesting to know what metrics the RFL will use to prove that the
sponsorship has been a success or that its been value for "money"

#99 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

Would be interesting to know what metrics the RFL will use to prove that the
sponsorship has been a success or that its been value for "money"

Me spotting them all, that's all that matters.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#100 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

Wigan ticked, M62 westbound between J20-J21, I was heading home east, 5.20pm-ish.

Wigan going southbound on the M18 12.30pm Monday, 20/2/2012 Sam Tomkins scoring a try on the side.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users