Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Stobart sponsorship deal & truck spotting

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#161 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

As yet I haven't seen any SL liveried 'Stobbies', between that and the total lack of branding in the stadia it is, for my money, the most anonymous sponsorship I've ever come across. Is anyone benefitting from it? I can't see anything positive for either SL or Stobart to be honest.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#162 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

When it was first announced I thought OK no money but at least it will give the game a much needed higher profile. I like many others have yet to see a Stobart lorry with any SL livery on. I suppose I should increase my road mileage on our motorways. Due to pressure of work I have only seen one match, at the game I attended, I couldn't see any banner with Stobart on. I have a feeling that the new serirs of Stobart on the television is not going to give the game any coverage.
I now feel the games bosses should have used old fashioned northen common sense, and took the money what was available. Certainly my employers never refuse ready money and they are what the northeners call soft southerners. Somehow I think the north is fast losing its need for brass.

#163 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

The fact that there's no Stobart banners etc. at the games is the point of the sponsorship; the RFL have still got these sites (and the posts, and flags etc) to sell to other companies. Obviously this won't happen immediately because they didn't know until recently that the Stobart deal was going to be the one the clubs accepted. The test will be how much money they can make for these sites.

For what it's worth I've seen quite a few Stobart lorries, I think they look pretty good and do attract attention when you are coming up behind them on the road.

#164 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,847 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

For what it's worth I've seen quite a few Stobart lorries, I think they look pretty good and do attract attention when you are coming up behind them on the road.

I've seen one so far and agree they look good, there just to few and far between in my experience.

Managed to last 5 minutes into the Channel 5 programme on Stobarts, all the press releases I saw around this deal mentioned the 2000 wagons Stobarts have, the into on the TV programme also mentioned they have 3500 trailers meaning % wise we obviously got less than the 5% figure commonly quoted when the deal was announced.

#165 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

Nigel Wood stated that the deal is worth millions in advertising...but he also thought up the the club call...so i dont know if he should be trusted.

#166 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

It really is a complete joke the sponsorship deal, to be honest the fact that the Widnes Chairman was allowed to vote on the matter was unbelievable!
In a game were just about every club is struggling for money/making a lose, to turn down cash is tantamount to gross misconduct.

All the pontificating from people like Martyn Sadler about accepting money from a gambling company when we have been supported by a company that does so much damage to the envirnment through the huge use of fossil fuels is frankly morally bankrupt.

#167 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

We have to remember not every club voted for it. I think there were four who didn't want it. Rumour has it that both the Hull clubs were two of them, what advantage did the others see in the deal that the other four didn't.

#168 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,847 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

It really is a complete joke the sponsorship deal, to be honest the fact that the Widnes Chairman was allowed to vote on the matter was unbelievable!
In a game were just about every club is struggling for money/making a lose, to turn down cash is tantamount to gross misconduct.

All the pontificating from people like Martyn Sadler about accepting money from a gambling company when we have been supported by a company that does so much damage to the envirnment through the huge use of fossil fuels is frankly morally bankrupt.

Don't forget the gambling deal wasn't without problems, Wigan for example have recently announced a deal with ApolloBET I wonder if that would have been possible with a headline sponsorship deal in place with another company?

#169 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

Stobart are still preparing Superleague trailers, so the full number is not yet on the roads.

And the alternative offer wasn't for all that much cash, not when spread across the Superleague and definitely not what the game is worth. The RFL now need to prove themselves by maximising the other sponsorships available.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#170 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Stobart are still preparing Superleague trailers, so the full number is not yet on the roads.

And the alternative offer wasn't for all that much cash, not when spread across the Superleague and definitely not what the game is worth. The RFL now need to prove themselves by maximising the other sponsorships available.

Effectivley giving it away for free though wont help when it comes to negotiating with other companies - If you give something away for free it becomes worthless.

#171 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,718 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Is it not possible to merge the twice-weekly threads in which poster X hasn't seen a trailer and therefore the whole deal is a catastrophe? No, your position isn't justified if you ask the person in the desk opposite and they haven't seen one either.

Having said that, it would be interesting to see how the RFL are monitoring the success of this and any findings. Remember as well that the Betfair deal was hardly the enormous barrel of cash that is often inferred.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#172 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Having said that, it would be interesting to see how the RFL are monitoring the success of this and any findings. Remember as well that the Betfair deal was hardly the enormous barrel of cash that is often inferred.

I agree - wonder how they can measure the success of this. Nigel Wood has said he has heard estimates of between £1m to £2.5m in its worth of sponsorship. If they were investing this money in sponsorship themselves i wonder what they would want to get out of it?

#173 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

Nigel Wood stated that the deal is worth millions in advertising...but he also thought up the the club call...so i dont know if he should be trusted.

And the name Halifax Blue Sox
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#174 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

And the name Halifax Blue Sox

I had tried to erase that from my memory! He also wanted to bring in points for teams that were leading at half time.

#175 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Is it not possible to merge the twice-weekly threads in which poster X hasn't seen a trailer and therefore the whole deal is a catastrophe? No, your position isn't justified if you ask the person in the desk opposite and they haven't seen one either.

No it wasn't but in a game were everyone is just about broke then £800k is around £60k per club and I am sure that every club would welcome the money.

#176 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

No it wasn't but in a game were everyone is just about broke then £800k is around £60k per club and I am sure that every club would welcome the money.

£60k is one more random Australian per squad. Are we really that skint?

#177 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

The idea behind this sponsorship was to increase the public awareness of RL, so the best way to gage any kind of success is by finding out how many non-RL fans have seen the trucks and identified them as being associated with RL.. which is probably a very very very difficult thing to do.

interestingly the RFL have appointed a new Marketing man (with an impressive list of previous employers).. here's hoping he'll be able to maximise any exposure we get from this deal, and others.

Edited by EastLondonMike, 07 March 2012 - 04:21 PM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#178 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

£60k is one more random Australian per squad. Are we really that skint?

And that's assuming every penny goes to the clubs and the RFL don't require any of it.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#179 anteater

anteater
  • Players
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

Effectivley giving it away for free though wont help when it comes to negotiating with other companies - If you give something away for free it becomes worthless.

Are you 100% positive on that?
Being a slave to words and belief is a sad plight indeed – yet notice the resistance to letting go of words.

#180 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

Are you 100% positive on that?

So when the deal is up, what figure do you start re-negotiating at or what is the stating figure for a new company? If the RFL approached my company to be the next sponsors of the SL i would offer them nothing initally but put some advertising together. Afterall, this was accetable to them in the past.

Edited by a.n Other, 07 March 2012 - 04:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users