Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The history of Post Office Road

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

On twixtairecalder they have a few photos of Rovers ground.

Cummins Out.

#22 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,684 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

If memory serves, wasn't the Bullock stand named after the owner of a local bus company, who chipped in to pay for the build? If so, is this possibly another Rovers first, Naming rights in the 50s.

Abraham Bullock was the owner of Bullock and Son, who's depot was on Wilson Street. The company was bought out by the West Riding auto company, which later became part of national buses. The depot was demolished to make way for the old Kwik Save. He was a major figure in the history of Rovers. The Bullock stand blew down in bad weather during the fifties and was rebuilt in the form we remember it.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 23 March 2012 - 08:10 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#23 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

Ian Dransfield who co produces the Featherstone memories Calander with Tony Lumb as been in touch with me after reading your posts and is happy to show you some old photo,s of the ground, I will get his number and he says you can then ring him to arrange to come and see them.

That would be really good. :smile:

If you get his number & pm me, I'll give him a call.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#24 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

If memory serves, wasn't the Bullock stand named after the owner of a local bus company, who chipped in to pay for the build? If so, is this possibly another Rovers first, Naming rights in the 50s.

Abe Bullock was the chief architect in turning the club into one of the greatest in post-war history by doing the sort of job that Mark Campbell is doing today. He reversed the "Cash and Carry" trend of earlier years and stopped the best players from being transferred to the wealthy clubs for peanuts. He put up the money to build a team capable of reaching Wembley in 1952, and went on to ensure that promising youngsters like Don Fox and Joe Mullaney developed their careers with Rovers to turn them into one of the 10 best clubs in the game for the next 5 decades. My Grandad used to tell me of how Abe put the block on his dream transfer to St. Helens in the 40's with the bold statement that he wanted to build a team capable of winning things. What a legacy he left behind!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users