THE Music Thread

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#61 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

well that's just find, but I'd rather you didn't gimme all your lovin and all your kisses too.

well don't wear that pearl necklace then
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#62 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

listening to a lot of this guy at the minute
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#63 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

It's 60's R&B for me, ever since I went to see the Stones at Leeds Odeon in 1965, although my favourite album is by the Animals, one of those cheapo LP's they turned out in the 60's called "The Most of the Animals" (I think it was because they were produced by Micky Most). It contains all their classics plus some cover versions of standard blues songs, their rendition of Ray Charles' "Bring it on home" is simply superb.
I also liked The Spencer Davis Group, Yardbirds, Jeff Beck, and Fleetwood Mac before Peter Green left to go off the rails.
Twenty five years later, in the late 80's and early 90's I used to go along to the Blues Nights at the Greyhound Inn at Ponty, where you'd see great local bands such as The Four Horsemen, Bolt From The Blue, and The Squarefoot Brothers. I have fond memories of Dusty, the Squarefoot's lead guitarist and vocalist, squeezing his lighted cigarette in between the guitar strings on his machine head of what I think was a Fender Strat?, before performing a superb rendition of Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well!" Who else can remember this?
But the Stones were, and still are, my ultimate favourites. For me their songs from the 60's are just like Hovis - As good today as they've always been!

#64 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

just listened to "hymns of the 49th parallel" by KD Lang. what a singer.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#65 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

Just listening to 'Trailer Trash Tracys", if you've seen the Renault advert with the song that has a sample from the Who's " Baba O'Reilly"' you'll know what I mean.

#66 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

It's 60's R&B for me, ever since I went to see the Stones at Leeds Odeon in 1965, although my favourite album is by the Animals, one of those cheapo LP's they turned out in the 60's called "The Most of the Animals" (I think it was because they were produced by Micky Most). It contains all their classics plus some cover versions of standard blues songs, their rendition of Ray Charles' "Bring it on home" is simply superb.
I also liked The Spencer Davis Group, Yardbirds, Jeff Beck, and Fleetwood Mac before Peter Green left to go off the rails.
Twenty five years later, in the late 80's and early 90's I used to go along to the Blues Nights at the Greyhound Inn at Ponty, where you'd see great local bands such as The Four Horsemen, Bolt From The Blue, and The Squarefoot Brothers. I have fond memories of Dusty, the Squarefoot's lead guitarist and vocalist, squeezing his lighted cigarette in between the guitar strings on his machine head of what I think was a Fender Strat?, before performing a superb rendition of Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well!" Who else can remember this?
But the Stones were, and still are, my ultimate favourites. For me their songs from the 60's are just like Hovis - As good today as they've always been!

Bring it on home was a Sam cook number

I liked those very same bands and that kind of music back then. I still do along with cliff bennett the who the kinks the small faces and all the rest
Keeping it local

#67 1945etseq

1945etseq
  • Players
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

Although my record collection spans 1902 to 2010 I have hardly any idea what this thread is about.
I will just add didn't Ol' Blue Eyes sing "I have been a Rover"?

#68 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

Bring it on home was a Sam cook number

I liked those very same bands and that kind of music back then. I still do along with cliff bennett the who the kinks the small faces and all the rest

You're right, written & recorded by Sam Cooke, but it's "Bring it on Home to me", and I can't find any reference to Ray Charles covering it on Wikki, but I'm sure he did a pure blues version rather than soul. and that's what the Animals' arrangement is more similar to. Van Morrison also did a very good cover.
Not to be confused with Sonny Boy Williamson 2nd's song "Bring it on home" that was covered by Bob Dylan & Led Zeppelin

#69 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,920 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

John lee hooker, Amy mcdonald and deep purple's machine head have been the vogue this aft.
Machine head remains one of rock's classic albums. even tho gillan and blackmore couldn't stand each other and found touring almost impossible because of their volatile relationship, machine head and the resultant live slum are in my opinion at least.... the poodles swingers.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#70 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

John lee hooker, Amy mcdonald and deep purple's machine head have been the vogue this aft.
Machine head remains one of rock's classic albums. even tho gillan and blackmore couldn't stand each other and found touring almost impossible because of their volatile relationship, machine head and the resultant live slum are in my opinion at least.... the poodles swingers.

Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me too. LOL.
Oh Well,Robin, did you never get to the Blues Nights at the Greyhound, Ponty, in the early 90's?

Edited by Steve Slater, 09 September 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#71 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,920 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

I didn't Steve. used to do the hallcross in donny now and then.

#72 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

I didn't Steve. used to do the hallcross in donny now and then.

It was a good local venue Robin, only a small room, but intimate. Never had big recording artists on, but some of the best small pub bands in Yorkshire, plus one or two slightly bigger names such as The Mac Lads & The Bobby Charltons.

On another note, I have written my love of The Rolling Stones into a novel I am on with, I wonder whether you'd like to read one of the chapters and see what you think? The book is called "Faces on a Dartboard", and the chapter is called "Paint it Black". In a nutshell, a bloke walks into a pub and notices that the locals are playing darts with a board that has faces ingrained behind the spider, one side has Maggie Thatcher, and the other Maurice Lindsay (or Rupert Murdoch, I haven't made my mind up yet). He asks why, and the locals sit him down to tell him a story, about the Miners Strike, Pit Closures, Prospective mergers for Super League, and the end of promotion and relegation.Attached File  SAMPLE_CH5_Paint it Black.doc   45KB   33 downloads

I could do with some feedback and encouragement at this moment in time. Due to family illness I haven't made much progress over the last year or two, and need to get back into it.

If anyone else would like to read it and ad comment please feel free.

Steve.

#73 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

Keeping it local

#74 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

from blood on the tracks: one of thje master's top five albums
Keeping it local

#75 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,920 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

He went to fetch the handing judge but the hanging judge was drunk. as a leading actor passes by in the costume of a monk...

#76 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,920 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

Im in classic rock mood today. just given machine head a blast. G&R appetite for destruction now. rock on man!!!

#77 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,920 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

Lady gaga just ain't bustin this sh it!!!!!

#78 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

just downloaded the latest richard hawley onto my Iphone.
bliss
Keeping it local

#79 exiled rover

exiled rover
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...bed/KLnrOiWoPuk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Does it for me every time!

Wakefield's finest, Mr Bill Nelson

Edited by exiled rover, 15 September 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#80 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,920 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

Sunburst finish. one of the greatest albums ever recorded. always gets in my top ten of all time. fabulous guitarist and songwriter.
again, sheffield city hall, 1976 be-bop deluxe was one of the best ever gigs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users