Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Obituary Corner

• Please log in to reply
874 replies to this topic

#181 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

RIP Sir Patrick Moore.

I'll miss him on the Sky at Night. I'm going in to the garden tonight with a deck chair and looking up at the clear sky tonight in his memory.

#182 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

wrap up warm then, sub-zero temperatures out there tonight.

My Dad had a photo of himself with Patrick Moore from time around when I was born, he did a series of lectures that my Dad (an amateur astronomer) attended at Salford University & then spent another hour or so answering questions about things Space wise, he was very entertaining, then they all went to the pub & he still sat there entertaining, and discussing things early into the morning.

Edited by Bleep1673, 09 December 2012 - 04:44 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#183 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,733 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

wrap up warm then, sub-zero temperatures out there tonight.

My Dad had a photo of himself with Patrick Moore from time around when I was born, he did a series of lectures that my Dad (an amateur astronomer) attended at Salford University & then spent another hour or so answering questions about things Space wise, he was very entertaining, then they all went to the pub & he still sat there entertaining, and discussing things early into the morning.

It's hard to imagine what people like Patrick Moore went through during the war. The following is taken from his Wikipedia entry, but I think it illustrates how wartime experiences have a profound effect throughout someone's life.

"Moore lied about his age in order to join the RAF and fight in World War II at the age of sixteen, and from 1940 until 1945 he served as a navigator in RAF Bomber Command, reaching the rank of Flight lieutenant. He first received his flying training in Canada, during which time he met Albert Einstein and Orville Wright while on leave in New York. The war had a significant influence on his life: his only romance ended when his fiancée, a nurse called Lorna, was killed by a bomb which struck her ambulance. Moore subsequently remarked that he never married because "there was no one else for me ... second best is no good for me ... I would have liked a wife and family, but it was not to be." In his autobiography he stated that after sixty years he still thought about her, and that because of her death "if I saw the entire German nation sinking into the sea, I could be relied upon to help push it down."

It's amazing that he enrolled in Bomber Command at the age of 16, and even more that he survived five years as a navigator, which was possibly the most perilous role anyone could have had. It's not surprising that he had his idiosyncrasies.

#184 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,969 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

It's hard to imagine what people like Patrick Moore went through during the war. The following is taken from his Wikipedia entry, but I think it illustrates how wartime experiences have a profound effect throughout someone's life.

"Moore lied about his age in order to join the RAF and fight in World War II at the age of sixteen, and from 1940 until 1945 he served as a navigator in RAF Bomber Command, reaching the rank of Flight lieutenant. He first received his flying training in Canada, during which time he met Albert Einstein and Orville Wright while on leave in New York. The war had a significant influence on his life: his only romance ended when his fiancée, a nurse called Lorna, was killed by a bomb which struck her ambulance. Moore subsequently remarked that he never married because "there was no one else for me ... second best is no good for me ... I would have liked a wife and family, but it was not to be." In his autobiography he stated that after sixty years he still thought about her, and that because of her death "if I saw the entire German nation sinking into the sea, I could be relied upon to help push it down."

It's amazing that he enrolled in Bomber Command at the age of 16, and even more that he survived five years as a navigator, which was possibly the most perilous role anyone could have had. It's not surprising that he had his idiosyncrasies.

Anyone who volunteered for aircrew in Bomber Command and survived deserves our admiration. The attrition was terrible. What they did has been questioned. Even Churchill ducked responsibility but this takes nothing away from their bravery. They did what they were ordered risking their lives night after night for what they thought would bring freedom for their fellow countrymen. They deserve a lot better than what they got.
As do other ignored heroes such as those who sailed in the Russian convoys. History is selective.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#185 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

I got into discussion yesterday with someone who really disliked Moore due to his political views. Although I don't agree with Moore's poistion on many things, I think the war experiences did shape those views and I have known other people of that era who really despise Germans and Japanese. You can say "forgive and forget" but it's easier to say than to do.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#186 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Bleep1673 it was flippin freezing and I didn't even get to see any early Geminids ( which should be around at the end of the week). That said the night was clear and Saturn was a bright jewel shining down.

As well as his distinguished military career, it's also good to remember that both Nasa and the Russian space agency consulted him on potential landing sites for their moon missions, which is surely high praise for an amateur astronomer.

#187 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

We booked him for my Dad's festival, back in the Eighties. He turned up at our house the evening before and got outside an impressive amount of whisky.

The next day, he volunteered to go round the town square selling tickets (we'd already sold out, however), before delivering a superb and very entertaining talk at lunchtime.

In the evening, he appeared in the evening as guest soloist with the Desford Colliery Band, playing a couple of his own compositions with immense enthusiasm and occasional accuracy. Remarkable guy.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#188 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Nicked from another forum (with a little editing).

There once was an old man called Shankar,
the world's greatest sitar plank-spanker.
His kid Norah Jones
has some fame of her own.
But her old man will always outrank her.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#189 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Bleep1673 it was flippin freezing and I didn't even get to see any early Geminids ( which should be around at the end of the week). That said the night was clear and Saturn was a bright jewel shining down.

Saturn? Just how long were you sitting out there in that deckchair?

I spared a thought for Patrick Moore when I saw Jupiter rising in the evening sky. I loved his programme when I was a kid.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#190 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-20718362

Norman Woodland, inventor of the barcode.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#191 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

My career in the NHS, R.I.P.

I walked out in the middle of a disciplinary meeting on Tuesday, throwing my ID at the manager & telling her to stick her 4 kin job.

01.07.84 - 11.12.12

& I'm glad xx
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#192 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,631 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

I walked out in the middle of a disciplinary meeting on Tuesday, throwing my ID at the manager & telling her to stick her 4 kin job.

01.07.84 - 11.12.12

Best of luck Bleep, but you've got to confront your demons and think of your family.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#193 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

01.07.84 - 11.12.12

& I'm glad xx

why did you walk out?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#194 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,700 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

Best of luck Bleep, but you've got to confront your demons and think of your family.

Wise words.
Fides invicta triumphat

#195 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

It's not surprising that he had his idiosyncrasies.

"A complicated man ..." http://www.newstates...tion_ref_map=[]
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#196 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

01.07.84 - 11.12.12

& I'm glad xx

Good luck!

#197 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,696 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

why did you walk out?

No DL?

Serious point. Will you now be regarded as intentionally jobless?

#198 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-20718362

Norman Woodland, inventor of the barcode.

Beep! Unexpected coffin in the bagging area.

#199 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,682 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Beep! Unexpected coffin in the bagging area.

About the only thing those infernal machines haven't announced to me.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#200 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Former BBC newsreader and Treasure Hunt TV game show host Kenneth Kendall has died, aged 88

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users