914 replies to this topic

#461 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,812 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Brian Greenhoff. Only 60

http://www.independe...60-8627878.html

I remember him when he played for Man Utd. Think he had a brother too....Jimmy?

RIP

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#462 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Dad's Army's ARP warden Hodges Bill Pertwee

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#463 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,051 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

Dad's Army's ARP warden Hodges Bill Pertwee

Who apart from Ian Lavender does that leave still alive?  I watch it regularly and I used to call it "he's dead" because the majority of the cast have been dead for years.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#464 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

Who apart from Ian Lavender does that leave still alive?  I watch it regularly and I used to call it "he's dead" because the majority of the cast have been dead for years.

The Vicar is still alive, and doing the rounds around here. He lives locally and does charity talks regularly.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#465 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Yoshinari Matsushita, first casualty of this year's Isle of Man TT.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#466 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

That's something else that could do with banning.

Motor Racing has to be one of the most pointless things ever invented, and for it to lead to as many deaths as it does, makes it even more tragic.

RIP.

Motor racing in general very high safety standards these days, a huge reduction in injuries and barely any fatalities. The TT is a throwback and an exception, which is why the factory teams do not bother with it and no rider is compelled to take part.

Edited by Futtocks, 30 May 2013 - 08:41 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#467 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

Motor racing in general very high safety standards these days, a huge reduction in injuries and barely any fatalities. The TT is a throwback and an exception, which is why the factory teams do not bother with it and no rider is compelled to take part.

+1. It's a unique event, and one that no-one is obliged to enter. Most, if not all of the riders love it and the unique challenges it brings up. People sadly die on a daily basis doing many things that could be viewed as "dangerous", should all of them be banned? Safety on the IOM is constantly being reviewed, and as long as that is done, then it is up to those who choose to compete as to whether racing is a risk that they are prepared to take.

RIP Yoshinari

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#468 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

Steve Martland, 53, contemporary composer of works like "Babi Yar." and a critic of the British class system, privilege and patronage. Died in his sleep.

http://www.independe...sm-8609953.html

http://www.telegraph...e-Martland.html

#469 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

graham walker of the grumbleweeds 68

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#470 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,785 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

Tom Sharpe

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-22795507

Ron Davies

http://www.guardian....davies-obituary

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#471 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

Tom Sharpe

I just finished The Throwback at the weekend for what must be at least the 10th time I've read it.  I know no other author who can make me end up in pain because of too much laughing, the scene in the Throwback with the Colonel and his dog and the two old spinsters with their "custard" machine is by far the best bit of written comedy I've ever read.

His books on South African apartheid were very biting but also very good comedy in the spirit of Blazing Saddles laughing AT racists rather than joining in with them.

RIP

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#472 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,293 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

Tom Sharpe

I learned a lot as a teenager about apartheid from Sharpe's books. Whilst appreciating they had elements of broad comedy, the satire was pretty sharp.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#473 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,293 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

I just finished The Throwback at the weekend for what must be at least the 10th time I've read it.  I know no other author who can make me end up in pain because of too much laughing, the scene in the Throwback with the Colonel and his dog and the two old spinsters with their "custard" machine is by far the best bit of written comedy I've ever read.

Thanks for reminding me about that. I think I'll have to read it again, and I'm now just thinking about cheese graters...
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#474 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

The first time I read that it must have taken be a quarter of an hour to get through a single page; I could only manage one sentence at a time before being reduced to a wreck with uncontrollable laughter. 

A sad loss indeed,

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#475 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

I've read most of Tom Sharpe's books over the years, and have learned only to do it in private, due to the uncontrollable laughter that ensues.

#476 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

marshall lytle 79- one of bill haleys comets-the bassist on rock around the clock- he was booked to appear at this years hemsby rock n roll festival but fell ill with cancer .

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#477 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Tom Sharpe

Indecent Exposure & Riotous Assembly are 2 of the funniest books ever written about the snobbery & Racism involved in Apartheid..

I still remember the scene where Konstable Els is fighting with a Doberman, I was on a train and I was laughing so loud, I thought I was going to get thrown off.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#478 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

Iain Banks.

And, coincidentally, Iain M Banks.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#479 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,760 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Iain Banks.

Knew it was on the cards but sad none the less.
Fides invicta triumphat

#480 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Iain Banks.

So sad. Will miss them both very much.

One last meeting to go - on 20th June. A novel about the last few weeks of a cancer patient, apparently.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users