Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Obituary Corner

• Please log in to reply
946 replies to this topic

#881 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

Norman Cornish, last of the Pitman Painters.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#882 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:10 PM

Robin Williams - suspected suicide. :( 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#883 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:35 AM

RIP Robin Williams.  One of my favourite films was Dead Poet's Society.  A really sad end to a creative life.

#884 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,142 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:42 AM

The news channels have gone overboard on Robin Williams dying. Can't say it bothers me one way or another. He was always an intense manic performer and, presumably, loads of money spent on medical and psychological treatment couldn't help him.

He controlled his own destiny and his death is sad, but not the end of the world.

I do feel great sympathy for his family.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#885 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,876 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

Very saddened to hear of Williams' death. A hugely gifted and diverse performer. RIP

Fides invicta triumphat

#886 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

the media is going over the top in quantity and in its cloying unctuousness. Completely inappropriate.

He was an excellent actor, but his output was very patchy IMHO.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#887 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,876 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

the media is going over the top in quantity and in its cloying unctuousness. Completely inappropriate.

Disagree entirely. His is the first 'celebrity' death in a while where I have felt a real loss and was genuinely shocked to hear the news. His body of work contains some of the most memorable performances in cinema, Good Will Hunting, Aladdin, Good Morning Vietnam, Mrs Doubtfire, The Birdcage, The Fisher King, Dead Poets Society etc. 

Fides invicta triumphat

#888 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

Patchy is the word, especially 'Patch Adams'.

However, when he was on top form, he was an amazing entertainer.

Early 'Mork & Mindy' when it was manic instead of sappy.

Films like 'Good Morning Vietnam' and 'The Fisher King' and 'The World according to Garp' (a flawed film, this one, but he's very good in it).

His stand-up comedy.

#889 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

Disagree entirely. His is the first 'celebrity' death in a while where I have felt a real loss and was genuinely shocked to hear the news. His body of work contains some of the most memorable performances in cinema, Good Will Hunting, Aladdin, Good Morning Vietnam, Mrs Doubtfire, The Birdcage, The Fisher King, Dead Poets Society etc. 

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer: that you are here; that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

A pretty decent verse from Robin Williams.  You can also add his roles in films like Insomnia and One Hour Photo.

Maybe people are over-reacting, maybe the news is over the top, but the simple fact is: he died, suddenly, at 63 and his work has played a major part in many people's lives.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#890 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,015 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

Not a Williams fan personally but I can well understand the reaction. Sad news RIP

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#891 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

Great actor and very funny stand up comedian. He was brilliant in Good Will Hunting, one of a few films that leaves you gutted that it has finished and could have watched another 2 hours of.

Hopefully this will be another step towards taking depression seriously as an illness, something that we just can seem to do!

#892 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

no problem with that. I think he was very talented, although I feel his output on film was on occasion not great, including some that you mention. Each to their own.

it's just my view that the media coverage has been disproportionate and rather cloying.

Keeping it local

#893 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

Great actor and very funny stand up comedian. He was brilliant in Good Will Hunting, one of a few films that leaves you gutted that it has finished and could have watched another 2 hours of.

Hopefully this will be another step towards taking depression seriously as an illness, something that we just can seem to do!

I hope so too Mark

Keeping it local

#894 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,639 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

it's just my view that the media coverage has been disproportionate and rather cloying.

That's inevitable in these days of 24 hour news channels and social media. There's a lot of time to fill and not much quality control.

But that's not Robin Williams' fault. He wasn't just famous for being famous, at least he had the talent to back it up.

The real sadness comes from hearing he took his own life as a result of depression. That will touch a lot of people, even those who didn't much care for his work.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#895 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

That's inevitable in these days of 24 hour news channels and social media. There's a lot of time to fill and not much quality control.

But that's not Robin Williams' fault. He wasn't just famous for being famous, at least he had the talent to back it up.

The real sadness comes from hearing he took his own life as a result of depression. That will touch a lot of people, even those who didn't much care for his work.

and I'm not criticising Williams, for whom I have a great deal of empathy , for reasons that you know about.

He was a great actor and comedian who's talent seemed to have been driven by his demons.

Keeping it local

#896 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

Lauren Bacall
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#897 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,152 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

Lauren Bacall

A very sexy lady in her pomp!

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#898 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

I loved Lauren Bacall in that film! Loved the film as a whole, too, but she was - wow! 

To be honest, it's less sad news for me than Robin Williams, because Lauren had had a long and fulfilling life and 89 is a good age to achieve.

#899 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer: that you are here; that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

A pretty decent verse from Robin Williams.  You can also add his roles in films like Insomnia and One Hour Photo.

Maybe people are over-reacting, maybe the news is over the top, but the simple fact is: he died, suddenly, at 63 and his work has played a major part in many people's lives.

Insomnia and One Hour Photo were superb movies

other examples of his output were less than superb.

Keeping it local

#900 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

Lauren Bacall

she had a long, eventful and fruitful life

good for her, and thanks for some great films

Keeping it local