Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Obituary Corner

• Please log in to reply
935 replies to this topic

#901 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

I would hope the death of Robin Williams had a positive effect on people's perceptions on mental health, but I'm not holding my breath.

FWIW, his stand up was occasionally brilliant but in general too manic for my taste, and his film work ranged from very, very good to dire.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#902 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

I would hope the death of Robin Williams had a positive effect on people's perceptions on mental health, but I'm not holding my breath.

FWIW, his stand up was occasionally brilliant but in general too manic for my taste, and his film work ranged from very, very good to dire.

I doubt it as well, but perhaps it's one small step.

I agree with you about his output.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#903 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

The sad news of his demise was a bit of a 'WTF?' moment. In one of those strange quirks of scheduling, the last thing I watched before the story broke was an episode of Family Guy on BBC3 where everything Peter Griffin touched turned into a Robin Williams character.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#904 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,397 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

James Alexander Gordon, apparently.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#905 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,397 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

Richard Attenborough, aged a damn good 90. So long, Pinkie.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#906 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

what an immense contribution he made to British cinema. 90 years old-damn good going.

Keeping it local

#907 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

A great British actor, surprised there has been no comment on the radio/TV from his brother.  His best performances IMO were as Pinky in "Brighton Rock" and as Christie in "Ten Rillington Place" - really creepy in the latter.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#908 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

What I have found strange earlier today is that there was steady stream of luvvies offering condolences to Lord Attenbrough's family, but none from ethnic indians. For many people of my generation (and I'm 60) we didn't know much about India's struggle for independence until Gandhi was released.

I have to admit that I haven't watched the film, but the publicity led me to do a bit of reading on the events.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#909 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

What I have found strange earlier today is that there was steady stream of luvvies offering condolences to Lord Attenbrough's family, but none from ethnic indians. For many people of my generation (and I'm 60) we didn't know much about India's struggle for independence until Gandhi was released.

I have to admit that I haven't watched the film, but the publicity led me to do a bit of reading on the events.

FFS

anyway I've saved you the effort.

http://www.mid-day.c...celebs/15555176

will that do? I doubt it.

Atenborough was prominent in the anti apartheid movement as well. I think the silence from the ANC is appalling.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 25 August 2014 - 01:18 PM.

Keeping it local

#910 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

Atenborough was prominent in the anti apartheid movement as well. I think the silence from the ANC is appalling.

I heard an interview yesterday with Will Gomperts (I think! He's the BBC Arts correspondent) and he said, almost in passing, that some people had criticised "Cry Freedom" on the grounds that the politics was naive. Perhaps that would tie in with the ANC's silence. Personally, I loved the film.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#911 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

I heard an interview yesterday with Will Gomperts (I think! He's the BBC Arts correspondent) and he said, almost in passing, that some people had criticised "Cry Freedom" on the grounds that the politics was naive. Perhaps that would tie in with the ANC's silence. Personally, I loved the film.

Maybe Tony, but Attenborough was involved with the anti apartheid movement outside of his work.

Keeping it local

#912 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

Maybe Tony, but Attenborough was involved with the anti apartheid movement outside of his work.

Yes. I was, however, merely suggesting that the ANC might have issues with Attenborough's presentation of the politics. If that is the reason for their silence, then it is not only appalling, it is very childish.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#913 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,397 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

'Hancock's Half Hour' regular Bill Kerr.

#914 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,134 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

I may have to locate the Sunday afternoon episode in tribute.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#915 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

I may have to locate the Sunday afternoon episode in tribute.

As it happens it was repeated in part on "You and Yours" on BBC R 4 yesterday - in connection with the anniversary of Sunday opening.  But yes it is a classic, especially the line about gravy.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#916 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,397 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

The magnificently offensive Joan Rivers.

I still have fond memories of her tearing that lazy old fraud Darcus Howe a new one, when he did his usual thing of implying that anyone who disagreed with him was a racist.

#917 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:57 PM

The magnificently offensive Joan Rivers.

I still have fond memories of her tearing that lazy old fraud Darcus Howe a new one, when he did his usual thing of implying that anyone who disagreed with him was a racist.

Oh, and does that need doing at every opportunity! Hateful man.

She was very good at ruffling feathers.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#918 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,397 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

Oh, and does that need doing at every opportunity! Hateful man.

She was very good at ruffling feathers.

Transcript here. Does not include sound of Howe messing his pants.

#919 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,397 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

Joan on her ideal funeral.

BwtteWbIIAATMLj.png

#920 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,861 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:22 AM

Shame that many people will remember Rivers for her comments about Gaza prior to her death and not her long and successful career. RIP
Fides invicta triumphat

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users