• Please log in to reply
952 replies to this topic

#941 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

Well good luck to you and your wife.

It's rampant, unregulated capitalism at its worse I'm afraid.

To be honest I dont blame EE or Vodafone. I blame the private equity vultures who saddled the company with so much debt there was no wiggle room in the contracts with the networks.

#942 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

To be honest I dont blame EE or Vodafone. I blame the private equity vultures who saddled the company with so much debt there was no wiggle room in the contracts with the networks.

Unregulated capitalism, and the carcass being picked over by corporation tax dodging Vodafone.

It's completely immoral to take those dividends and to leave the employees with the derisory statutory redundancy which is capped at ###### all.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 19 September 2014 - 09:09 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#943 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

Hiccup's father; Stoic.

I realise that I may be late with this, but it was very moving nonetheless. He always put his people first.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#944 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

David Gronow.

Came as a shock to me, apparently he died last month at the cricket.

For those that don't know, he was the Huddersfield Giants historian, as well as a bit of an all round local historian and sports buff too.

I was at school with a David Gronow, and his surname did not seem unusual. I found out years later, from an article in a local history mag, that  his father came to the valley as a lone Polish refugee child.

David Gronow was greatly involved in the RL heritage project and in local cricket.

http://www.huddersfi...heritage.co.uk/

David's grandfather, Ben Gronow, played RU for Bridgend and Wales and RL for Huddersfield & others and also for Wales/GB RL.He played in the first England vs Wales match at Twickengham. He was in the legendary Hudds Team of all the Talents. He coached in Australia and he also coached Morley RU. 

http://rugby-pioneer...by-pioneer.html

#945 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,579 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

David Gronow was greatly involved in the RL heritage project and in local cricket.

http://www.huddersfi...heritage.co.uk/

David's grandfather, Ben Gronow, played RU for Bridgend and Wales and RL for Huddersfield & others and also for Wales/GB RL.He played in the first England vs Wales match at Twickengham. He was in the legendary Hudds Team of all the Talents. He coached in Australia and he also coached Morley RU. 

http://rugby-pioneer...by-pioneer.html

Ben Gronow kicked off to start the first ever match at Twickenham Stadium.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#946 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

Ben Gronow kicked off to start the first ever match at Twickenham Stadium.

Aye.

Another point of interest is the number different positions he played in.

Pretty impressive.

Edited by longboard, 21 September 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#947 Titaniuum

Titaniuum
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:26 PM

George Hamilton IV 

Polly Bergen

#948 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,579 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

The last of the Mitford sisters. Turned out relatively normal compared to her more notorious sisters, possibly because she was too young to be hunted with bloodhounds by her father. You think I'm making that last bit up, don't you?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#949 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

The last of the Mitford sisters. Turned out relatively normal compared to her more notorious sisters, possibly because she was too young to be hunted with bloodhounds by her father. You think I'm making that last bit up, don't you?

I didn't realise the duchess of Devonshire was a Mitford. And yes, I do believe the last bit. Interesting, if bonkers, family.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#950 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

I didn't realise the duchess of Devonshire was a Mitford. And yes, I do believe the last bit. Interesting, if bonkers, family.

Very smart woman - created a real and lasting legacy at Chatsworth. Two of her sisters shared a room - they drew a chalk line and had half each. One had hammer and sickle flags and pictures of Lenin, the other pictures of Hitler.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#951 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,579 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:54 PM

I regret to announce the death of the British print and broadcast media, while the whole irredeemable smugfest of the Ryder Cup golf thing sends it all into zombified living death for the next few days.

#952 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,579 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

Three of the 9/11 firefighters, on the same day.

#953 Titaniuum

Titaniuum
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

Yes, they named one Unity Valkyrie. I wonder what happened to her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users