Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Darlington

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

Random post know but thinking our beloved game as i always do, I noticed that Darlington FC have now slipped into the Northern Premier. What's that got to do with owt I hear you ask? Well it's their stadium. A white elephant if ever their was one now but is there any way in the near future that RL could make use of it?

http://www.panoramio...tygrounds.co.uk

25000 all seater.

What clubs are near there? Would it be worth holding any games there. It's too far Gateshead to use.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#2 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Gatehead have used it, they played Oldham there a couple of year ago.

#3 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

No clubs near there that could be anywhere near needing a 25000 seated stadium.

Peterlee, Guisborough and the 2 Durham clubs are nearest.

#4 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,487 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

It's a superb stadium - and totally unsuited to the task for which it was built.

I'm not sure any sport would fill such a stadium in Darlington, but...

Is it one of those structures that could be dismantled, piece-by-piece, transported, then re-erected in some new location - say, some empty space in Bradford?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#5 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

I've been there to watch Hull City a few years ago. Great ground, massively under-used.

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Smart-looking stadium - rectangular, too. ;)

LINK TO PICS

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

Well Darlington is half way between Gateshead and Hull, give or take, so here's an idea, why not merge gateshead with on of the Hull teams, Hull FC perhaps. Move all Hull and Gateshead fans to Darlington.

#8 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

england versus exiles?
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#9 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'm sorry but whose idea was it to build a 25,000 seater in Darlington???! Have they ever had a sell-put crowd there? (have they ever managed a 15,000 crowd there?!)

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

I'm sorry but whose idea was it to build a 25,000 seater in Darlington???! Have they ever had a sell-put crowd there? (have they ever managed a 15,000 crowd there?!)

It is a very sad story of unbridled egomania and long-suffering fans being utterly shafted.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#11 dredgie

dredgie
  • Coach
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

The grandstand from their old ground was one of those prepack jobs, it is currently sitting in a car park in Darlington after Farnborough FC tried to buy it (& their cheque bounced)

Edited by dredgie, 22 May 2012 - 10:48 AM.

#12 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

Dredgie,
Have you told Oldham about this?

#13 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

It is a very sad story of unbridled egomania and long-suffering fans being utterly shafted.

Indeed. George Reynolds was the man at the centre of much of it. A some time criminal and multi millionaire who promised to take Darlington to the Premier League and built an extravagant stadium complete with marble floors. An extraordinary tale with a far from happy ending.

#14 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

Indeed. George Reynolds was the man at the centre of much of it. A some time criminal and multi millionaire who promised to take Darlington to the Premier League and built an extravagant stadium complete with marble floors. An extraordinary tale with a far from happy ending.

Ah, yes. Mr Reynolds. I'm sure he renamed the stadium the 'Reynolds Arena' or some variation. He was the man who paraded Tino Asprilla to the fans at The Feethams in 2002 and the Colombian subsequently jumped on a plane and got out there quick snap.

#15 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

Ah, yes. Mr Reynolds. I'm sure he renamed the stadium the 'Reynolds Arena' or some variation. He was the man who paraded Tino Asprilla to the fans at The Feethams in 2002 and the Colombian subsequently jumped on a plane and got out there quick snap.

Yeah, when it first opened it was called the Reynolds Arena, but had to be renamed fairly quickly after Mr Reynolds took the club into administration for the first time. The stories about that man could fill several books.

#16 London ARL

London ARL
  • Coach
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

I read on the BBC website a while back that the ground has never had an approved capacity of more than 10,000. It didn't elaborate on whether that was because there were problems that prevent a full capacity being allowed, but it's strikes me as probable that they've simply never had any reason to apply for a certificate for anything higher.

#17 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

It's a superb stadium - and totally unsuited to the task for which it was built.

Is it one of those structures that could be dismantled, piece-by-piece, transported, then re-erected in some new location - say, some empty space in Bradford?

Id love to see it in Fev's car-park B)

Cummins Out.

#18 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

If Bulls did that we'd end up with London Bridge by accident.

#19 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

If Bulls did that we'd end up with London Bridge by accident.

And, a year later, the fans would be given three weeks to find £10 million.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#20 DRLFC

DRLFC
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

There is going to be a RL team in Darlington but not at the old football stadium. We will be based at Blackwell Meadows Rugby Ground off Grange Road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users