• Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

http://www.dailytele...r-1226410127146

#2 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,009 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

The expansion to Perth and Central Queensland and any other place seems limited by the current organisation and set up of the NRL. It wouldn't take too many more teams before either two divisions were set up or regional comps and national play offs. Other than that surely it means the shifting or dare I say it mergers (!!!!! no maybe not) of one or more current teams.
Surely the current set up can't just keep having clubs added to it, can it?

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#3 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

There is so many areas in Australia and elsewhere in that part of the world that want a NRL clubs i think they will have to go to 2 Conference's a bit like sport in the USA. Apart from the Perth bid and the central Queensland bid and don't forget the Central Coast bid as well. we still have another bid from Perth another Queensland bid. Also NZ would like another NRL club and PNG would like a NRL club. Dont take Tasmania out the bid for a future NRL club as they are really peeved the way that have been treated by the AFL.

#4 dogwaspie

dogwaspie
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

just started getting into nrl . but with a quick search of the net,found this list of possible new nrl franchises.

Bid Area Home City Home Ground(s) Bid Club Website Official Launch Brisbane Brisbane, Queensland Lang Park (52,500) Brisbane Bombers brisbanebombers.com.au 2011, January Central Coast Gosford, New South Wales
North Sydney, New South Wales
Central Coast Stadium (20,119)
North Sydney Oval (20,000)
Central Coast Bears centralcoastbears.com.au 2005 Central Queensland Rockhampton, Queensland Browne Park (5,200)
Upgrade to (25,000)
Central Queensland Comets cqnrlbid.com.au 2009, April Christchurch Christchurch, New Zealand AMI Stadium (38,628) Southern Orcas - Fiji Suva, Fiji National Stadium (30,000) Fiji Bati - Ipswich Ipswich, Queensland Lang Park (52,500) Ipswich Jets ipswichjets.com.au 2010, August Logan Logan, Queensland Meakin Park (10,000) Logan Scorpions logannrlbid.com 2009, October Papua New Guinea Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea Lloyd Robson Oval (10,000)
Upgrade to (25,000)
Papua New Guinea Vipers pngnrlbid.com 2008, October South Australia Adelaide, South Australia Hindmarsh Stadium (16,500) Adelaide Rams - Sunshine Coast Sunshine Coast, Queensland. Stockland Park (12,000) Sunshine Coast Falcons - Toowoomba Toowoomba, Queensland Clive Berghofer Stadium (9,000) Toowoomba Clydesdales - Wellington Wellington, New Zealand Westpac Stadium (36,000) Southern Orcas - Western Australia Perth, Western Australia Perth Oval (20,500)
Upgrade to (25,500)
West Coast Pirates formerly WA Reds 2012
just wondered if they were all serious bids and who you aussie/kiwi folks thought would offer the chance of success.

#5 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

No need for conferences anytime in the next few decades.

We have four spots up for grabs. Brisbane 2, Perth, Adelaide will get the first three. Then let Sunshine Coast, Central Coast and NZ 2 fight it out for the 20th spot.

#6 R L Winger

R L Winger
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

A lot of teams to pick from there....To me expansion has to happen the larger and sooner the better

Edited by R L Winger, 01 August 2012 - 04:16 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

So - after a perth based team being 'put on hold'  ? by the ARLC we now get Freddy Fittler coming out with drivel about

Moving Storm to Perth :alcoholic:

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#8 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

So - after a perth based team being 'put on hold'  ? by the ARLC we now get Freddy Fittler coming out with drivel about

Moving Storm to Perth :alcoholic:

:fool:

So a succesful team with a 16,000 average in one of the biggest markets in Oz should be moved to Perth, while there are 9 teams in Sydney, some struggling to get crowds over 10,000? :rofl: 

Mind boggling. Truly mind boggling.

#9 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,009 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

Surely he was having a laugh. Either that or he'd had a couple of bottles of Old Rosie!

Edited by G Las D, 10 July 2013 - 11:13 AM.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#10 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

Ha! Yeah the Perth & Penrith Panthers would make more sense.

But just getting into NRL I've been researching the clubs' recent gates and I do feel that none of the 16 should be under any urgent threat. It seems to me that whilst a couple of the Sydney sides (Penrith & Cronulla, most notably) are only just the right side of 10K average gates, they have history of better in the recent past so seem solid enough.

Expansion in 2s would make sense so Perth & a 2nd Brisbane side should be gimmes ASAP and then further down the line I'd like a PNG team - not entirely sure who should accompany them but perhaps a 2nd NZ side.

#11 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Why bother with Perth and Adelaide? Neither survived when they came in in 1995 along with the Queensland Crushers,only the Warriors still surviving,so to me they`ve had their chance. Central NSW or Central Queensland should be the only considerations as both are strong League centres and will hold the interest of the locals should they struggle in the first few years. We don`t need teams to just make up the numbers,there has to be a strong League history and interest or it`s a waste of time,Melbourne excepted as they had megabucks News Limited propping them up.

#12 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

? They didn't survive because they were the 'collateral damage' the ARL demanded for the merge to end the super league war :rtfm:

#13 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Am I right in thinking that the NRL have money on the table for any Sydney team willing to relocate to expansion areas like Perth, central coast, Queensland etc?

#14 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

For me my preference of expansion would be:
1. Perth
2. NZ side, Wellington or Christchurch
3. South Queensland side, Logan or Ipswich
4. Adelaide

I'd also love to see a south African side in the NRL and maybe manly could relocate to the central coast freeing up another expansion place?

#15 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

For me my preference of expansion would be:
1. Perth
2. NZ side, Wellington or Christchurch
3. South Queensland side, Logan or Ipswich
4. Adelaide

I'd also love to see a south African side in the NRL and maybe manly could relocate to the central coast freeing up another expansion place?

surely a PNG or a Fiji side would have to come before a south African team? 

#16 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

double post

Edited by shun, 14 July 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#17 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

surely a PNG or a Fiji side would have to come before a south African team?

Would a png or Fijian side be economically viable, these are really third world countries with small economies, it's all about money and new tv markets. Also port moresby has a huge crime rate and who'd want to live their or relocate their young family if you were an Aussie, kiwi or Brit because they'd need a strong overseas contingent to be competitive at least.

#18 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

Bit of dreaming going on here,they don`t even play League in South Africa,nor the Islands to anything worth thinking about. Rugby Union would shift heaven and earth to stop that from happening,so only PNG is a place where they play the game,but they`d have to play in the Queensland Cup first before the NRL would consider them. New Zealand maybe,but I think the NRL are happy enough with one team from there,so to me the logical and proper places would be either Central NSW or Central Queensland. You`ve got no chance of shifting Manly either,so don`t even go there!

#19 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:18 AM

Manly merge or 'relocate' ROFLMAO

Ask the North Sydney Bears about it :hunter:

#20 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

maybe manly could relocate to the central coast freeing up another expansion place?

North Sydney were going to do that in 1999, but a combination of many things including a large slice of bad luck resulted in them having to enter the ill fated 'merger' with Manly. That ground in Gosford was supposed to have been North Sydney's home.

I suspect that even if a team was on it's knees financially now, they'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming out of Sydney.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users