Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The West Coast Pirates

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

North Sydney were going to do that in 1999, but a combination of many things including a large slice of bad luck resulted in them having to enter the ill fated 'merger' with Manly. That ground in Gosford was supposed to have been North Sydney's home.

I suspect that even if a team was on it's knees financially now, they'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming out of Sydney.

Quite liked the bears and was sad to see them go. I always thought Gary Larson was very underrated.

#22 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

Why bother with Perth and Adelaide? Neither survived when they came in in 1995 along with the Queensland Crushers,only the Warriors still surviving,so to me they`ve had their chance. Central NSW or Central Queensland should be the only considerations as both are strong League centres and will hold the interest of the locals should they struggle in the first few years. We don`t need teams to just make up the numbers,there has to be a strong League history and interest or it`s a waste of time,Melbourne excepted as they had megabucks News Limited propping them up.

"There has to be a strong league history" for an expansion side?

Errr....

The whole point of expansion is to take the game to new uncharted areas.

#23 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

"There has to be a strong league history" for an expansion side?

Errr....

The whole point of expansion is to take the game to new uncharted areas.

I'd agree that the NRL should be looking at somewhere like Perth to give the game a more national spread, but DiddyDave is right in that all the teams, except Melbourne, brought in under expansion (and who are still going) were from traditional RL areas.

Teams like Brisbane, Canberra and the Gold Coast were brought in as expansion teams simply to expand what was effectively the Sydney competition, not as a means of expanding the games reach to unchartered waters. Perth was the first club from a non-RL area to enter in 1995, but the SL war put paid to that. There was a time where the game in Sydney probably saw a team in Penrith as expansion.

#24 lionwolf

lionwolf
  • Facebook
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

If any of these clubs were to come in namely Perth (West Coast Pirates) or a revived Adelaide Rams just watch Super League's best players get poached as those 2 with a low RL profile will want big names with A high RL profile from England, New Zealand and Australia players from the latter 2 currently Super League based

#25 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Is Adelaide viable? I don't have the figures to hand but I was looking through old NRL attendances recently and theirs were quite poor, weren't they?

#26 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

Is Adelaide viable? I don't have the figures to hand but I was looking through old NRL attendances recently and theirs were quite poor, weren't they?

Adelaide had more members in their first season than a fair few Sydney clubs do now.

Their crowds dropped alarmingly in the second year when it was apparent they'd be sacrificed.

In saying that we haven't played enough games there post SL War to get a feel for the support but I have no doubt they'd do well with an NRL team. A million people live there and the only other winter sports teams they have are two AFL teams.

Edited by kioli, 24 July 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#27 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Adelaide had more members in their first season than a fair few Sydney clubs do now.

Their crowds dropped alarmingly in the second year when it was apparent they'd be sacrificed.

In saying that we haven't played enough games there post SL War to get a feel for the support but I have no doubt they'd do well with an NRL team. A million people live there and the only other winter sports teams they have are two AFL teams.

Much obliged, perhaps I had focused a bit too much on their last season's attendances.

#28 dogwaspie

dogwaspie
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

Rather than trying to create new entities in expansion areas and if there are financial carrots for clubs to relocate. Would there be any milage in rather than getting current nrl to do so against their will give teams that have stepped down from the top flight a chance to . IE Perth Western Magpies , Adelaide Jets & the Bears on the central coast. It would give the new area team a sense of history and established league identity along with a long standing iconic jersey to promote their brand etc. They could still retain their current operations in the Sydney area for their fans there and as nursery to grow their own players for the NRL outfit. ???

#29 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

just started getting into nrl . but with a quick search of the net,found this list of possible new nrl franchises.

Bid Area Home City Home Ground(s) Bid Club Website Official Launch Brisbane Brisbane, Queensland Lang Park (52,500) Brisbane Bombers brisbanebombers.com.au 2011, January Central Coast Gosford, New South Wales
North Sydney, New South Wales
Central Coast Stadium (20,119)
North Sydney Oval (20,000)
Central Coast Bears centralcoastbears.com.au 2005 Central Queensland Rockhampton, Queensland Browne Park (5,200)
Upgrade to (25,000)
Central Queensland Comets cqnrlbid.com.au 2009, April Christchurch Christchurch, New Zealand AMI Stadium (38,628) Southern Orcas - Fiji Suva, Fiji National Stadium (30,000) Fiji Bati - Ipswich Ipswich, Queensland Lang Park (52,500) Ipswich Jets ipswichjets.com.au 2010, August Logan Logan, Queensland Meakin Park (10,000) Logan Scorpions logannrlbid.com 2009, October Papua New Guinea Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea Lloyd Robson Oval (10,000)
Upgrade to (25,000)
Papua New Guinea Vipers pngnrlbid.com 2008, October South Australia Adelaide, South Australia Hindmarsh Stadium (16,500) Adelaide Rams - Sunshine Coast Sunshine Coast, Queensland. Stockland Park (12,000) Sunshine Coast Falcons - Toowoomba Toowoomba, Queensland Clive Berghofer Stadium (9,000) Toowoomba Clydesdales - Wellington Wellington, New Zealand Westpac Stadium (36,000) Southern Orcas - Western Australia Perth, Western Australia Perth Oval (20,500)
Upgrade to (25,500)
West Coast Pirates formerly WA Reds 2012
just wondered if they were all serious bids and who you aussie/kiwi folks thought would offer the chance of success.

I think once the NRL get there house in order I woud love to see some sort of semi pro comp for area's not big enough for NRL like Sunshine Coast/Mackay and Logan etc but still should have a team to be proud of ?

#30 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:12 AM

Far and away the best bid is the West Coast Pirates, run by the WARL and have been doing amazing work re-growing the game in WA since the NRL left WA. You can bet the house on them getting in first.

The best of the other bids are the Central Coast Bears & Western Corridor (Brisbane) who both represent a huge/fast growing area with similar grassroots focus and huge potential. The NRL will almost certainly go with a 2nd Brisbane team instead of what is seen as another Sydney team though.

As for the rest: Central QLD and PNG are both doing amazing growth work but imo neither can really challenge the bids above. Either population/remoteness/security issues/$$$ hold them back, for the moment at least.

The other bids are mostly just words, ie: the Logan Bid was a once off seminar a few years ago and the Fiji bid remarks were more about how fast the game is growing over there iirc. There have been rumblings from both Wellington and Christchurch but nothing concrete in years.

There are also two 'flashy' bids the Brisbane Bombers and Western Miners (Perth) are both headed by businessmen who are only interested in $$$ and cannot really see the NRL going for either of them. HTH

Edited by kioli, 01 August 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#31 Italia RFL

Italia RFL
  • Twitter
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Far and away the best bid is the West Coast Pirates, run by the WARL and have been doing amazing work re-growing the game in WA since the NRL left WA. You can bet the house on them getting in first.

The best of the other bids are the Central Coast Bears & Western Corridor (Brisbane) who both represent a huge/fast growing area with similar grassroots focus and huge potential. The NRL will almost certainly go with a 2nd Brisbane team instead of what is seen as another Sydney team though.

As for the rest: Central QLD and PNG are both doing amazing growth work but imo neither can really challenge the bids above. Either population/remoteness/security issues/$$$ hold them back, for the moment at least.

The other bids are mostly just words, ie: the Logan Bid was a once off seminar a few years ago and the Fiji bid remarks were more about how fast the game is growing over there iirc. There have been rumblings from both Wellington and Christchurch but nothing concrete in years.

There are also two 'flashy' bids the Brisbane Bombers and Western Miners (Perth) are both headed by businessmen who are only interested in $$$ and cannot really see the NRL going for either of them. HTH

Cq money problems?? Two leagues club, funding promises both sides of government from qld and federal, a solid and committed owner, hearing 8 figure corporate backing and as for the population, rather have a bid with large support now not "potential"

#32 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

Could you see a potential second Brisbane side based in Brisbane and playing out of the suncorp stadium or would it be based in and playing out of a new stadium built in either Ipswich or Logan which I'm led to believe are fast growing cities? Personally I'd like to see a new Queensland team based in and playing out of either Logan or Ipswich but the problem would be what to call them, if it's based in Logan would it be south Queensland magpies or just Logan magpies and if it's based in Ipswich again south Queensland jets or just Ipswich jets.

#33 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

Could you see a potential second Brisbane side based in Brisbane and playing out of the suncorp stadium or would it be based in and playing out of a new stadium built in either Ipswich or Logan which I'm led to believe are fast growing cities? Personally I'd like to see a new Queensland team based in and playing out of either Logan or Ipswich but the problem would be what to call them, if it's based in Logan would it be south Queensland magpies or just Logan magpies and if it's based in Ipswich again south Queensland jets or just Ipswich jets.

This is just my two cents but playing out of Lang Park is a no brainer.

Brisbane is a very centralised city (Logan is more of a sprawling industrial/suburban mess and Ipswich is a satellite city) and all rail/bus networks lead right into the heart of the city, making reaching the criminally underused best rectangular stadium in Aus very easy to get to.

There is a new rail line going straight out where the Western Corridor bid team plan to setup their HQ/etc aswell (land has been set aside specifically for a small stadium/training grounds). They can base themelves out there and simply play out of Lang Park on the weekend.

They've been pretty quiet on the names front saying it'll be up to fans to choose but Steve Johnson (the bid leader) has made it known they're going to be strongly influenced by Indigi issues (Arthur Beetson had strong ties to the bid before his passing) and will likely call the team 'Jagera ___' after the Aboriginal name for the general region (Ipswich/Logan/etc).

As much as I'd love to see Souths Logan Magpies or Ipswich Jets (or even bringing back the South QLD Crushers!) promoted to the NRL I can't either happening. A new club will be a winner for everyone I think.

Edited by kioli, 02 August 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#34 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Sydney has too many teams and a Perth team has to happen as I have met a lot of people from Perth and apart from being AFL fan's as well as liking Soccer there alway's have a good thing to say about the NRL/SOO unlike the Melbourne lot.

Also A sydney team needs to move to that still fresh looking Central Coast Stadium as the local's have shown that they don't what to see other team's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users