Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NEW COACH

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

As soon as I found out who the new coach was, I knew you'd be on here with your words of wisdom. He did a great job at Batley keeping them in this division (and competing) with hardly any money and has done a great job with the under 21's at Cas. At least 6 players have gone from their under 21s to first team since he's been in charge, so he obviously knows what he's doing with regards to youth development. Only person I've ever heard bad-mouth him is you.

Simon, you really don't know what you're talking about. You'll soon find out though. That's my last post on this subject. We'll reconvene in 12 months time and see who's right. In the meantime, have a quick look at some of the very good squads he had at his disposal during his time at Batley, his wins to defeats ratio, and tot up the number of 50 point + defeats we suffered during his time with us. Another interesting one would be to examine the resultant career paths of any of the young players he signed for Batley during his time with us, or the number of good careers that ground to a halt on arrival at Mount Pleasant whilst he was in tenure.
What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

#22 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Simon, you really don't know what you're talking about.

No, of course. I'll forget what people in the game have said about the guy and what he's done whilst with a SL club and in the Championship and go with what you think.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#23 PeteM

PeteM
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

http://www.yorkpress...hts_head_coach/

#24 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

I hope his tactics and talent spotting have improved since he left us at Batley, otherwise you are in for a bumpy ride next season.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#25 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

http://www.yorkpress...hts_head_coach/

Poor article. Batley didn't 'make the play-offs' in 2003 and 2005 - quite the opposite in fact. He wasn't even in charge in 2003! We stayed up by the very skin of our teeth in his first season - 2004, after scraping a win on the last day of the season to stay up after a losing run of ten consecutive games, and in 2005 only stayed up following a relegation play-off against NL2 Dewsbury despite having possibly the best squad (on paper) in the clubs history. Batley only made the play-offs on one occasion during his reign of terror. Oh, and the Northern Rail semi-final of 2007? We lost embarassingly to NL2 Doncaster at home in the semi-finals of 2008, but not 2007.

Edited by HaroldShand, 06 July 2012 - 11:10 AM.

What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

#26 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

That's my last post on this subject.

Ahem...

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#27 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,800 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

If we swapped him for Tansey we got a good deal.lol

#28 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

If we swapped him for Tansey we got a good deal.lol

If we swapped Tansey for a bag of grass seed we would have got a good deal!!

#29 GoldDog

GoldDog
  • Coach
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

I think Thornton did a good job at Batley, with limited resources.

Just look at what's happened since he's left.

#30 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Ahem...

Apologies for going back on my promise, but I hate shoddy journalism. I wonder who provided the writer with a collection of duff facts?

#31 trig

trig
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

If we swapped Tansey for a bag of grass seed we would have got a good deal!!

I think you could have hit the nail on head there, Quote from last nite , game changed to earswick ground due to pitch maintenance , Bet they were laying new grass seed .

#32 trig

trig
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Apologies for going back on my promise, but I hate shoddy journalism. I wonder who provided the writer with a collection of duff facts?

Probably you shand from what i have seen your full of it. QUITE literally

#33 Andy Knight

Andy Knight
  • Coach
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

Happy With Gary, think He will steady the ship, did a good job in my opinion at Batley and worked well on a small budget, what he will be working with us, at the Knights.
Welcome Gary and best of luck Mate.
"Don't Waste Words, Jump to Conclusions"
Millican Dalton...1867-1947

#34 flyfisherman

flyfisherman
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

As soon as I found out who the new coach was, I knew you'd be on here with your words of wisdom. He did a great job at Batley keeping them in this division (and competing) with hardly any money and has done a great job with the under 21's at Cas. At least 6 players have gone from their under 21s to first team since he's been in charge, so he obviously knows what he's doing with regards to youth development. Only person I've ever heard bad-mouth him is you.

I agree. Great news for York City Knights. He is well respected by players under him and those who know him. Done a cracking job at Cas Tigers in the Under 20's. Good luck to him I am sure York will do well and prosper under him.

#35 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

I agree Garry Thornton has the quality to do a great job for the Knights but i think Harold has issues regarding Garry having said that Harold has always been a legend in his own mind anyway lol

Edited by suzzy, 06 July 2012 - 09:30 PM.

chappy

#36 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

As a neutral, I guess time will tell. Lets face it, he can't do much worse for you next year than how this year has gone so far.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#37 blackhawk

blackhawk

boxer boy

• Coach
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

Oh dear. Probaly the worst possible appoinment you could have made. Any promising young players should pack their bags before he saps all the talent from them. I wonder if he's started watchin videos of the opposition yet? His game plans were also great, especially the ones he handed out to disgruntled fans on A4 paper that included such insightful gems as 'Stuart Dickens is a big man who runs hard, keep an eye on him'. Seriously, I can tell you now that your club will regret this one.

is this the same GT that kept batley in this division in 2005 with winning the play off final against dewsbury at widnes ,short memories some people have

#38 blackhawk

blackhawk

boxer boy

• Coach
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

I agree Garry Thornton has the quality to do a great job for the Knights but i think Harold has issues regarding Garry having said that Harold has always been a legend in his own mind anyway lol

legend at what exactly, prey tell us all.oh yea slating clubs players and coaches,time he got in the real world .oh yea forgot to mention refereesv too

Edited by blackhawk, 07 July 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#39 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

is this the same GT that kept batley in this division in 2005 with winning the play off final against dewsbury at widnes ,short memories some people have

Yeah that was a real feat. As I said in a previous post, the squads he had at his disposal in both 2004 AND 2005 were two of the best Batley have had, and were littered with quality part-time players. If you think winning a relegation play-off final by a single point against a team from a lower division - after a dire season that was the result of his own ineptitude, is a massive achievement, then you must truly be mental.

#40 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Yeah that was a real feat. As I said in a previous post, the squads he had at his disposal in both 2004 AND 2005 were two of the best Batley have had, and were littered with quality part-time players. If you think winning a relegation play-off final by a single point against a team from a lower division - after a dire season that was the result of his own ineptitude, is a massive achievement, then you must truly be mental.

Ahem...

That's my last post on this subject.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users