Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NEW COACH

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Bostic Boots

Bostic Boots
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

I think Thornton did a good job at Batley, with limited resources.

Just look at what's happened since he's left.

#
This is by far the most simple, but effective post on this topic, it says it all realy. Simon Hall please take on board what Harold is saying, and in 12 months time we will have a pint with yeh, and you too will adopt a number of Batley fans thinking. If many rugby league followers continue to think your new coach is an excellent coach, the game is in a bigger mess then I thought.

Cheers Bostic, boots made for walking!

Edited by Bostic Boots, 07 July 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#42 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

Of available and affordable coaches I think he is probably the best option for the Knights.

GT left Batley 3 years ago, has done a very positive job at Cas and lots of things have changed since he last coached at this level, plus York is a very different club to Batley, so I suggest we all give him a chance to show his worth next season, then make our minds up.

He might not have turned Batley into world beaters when he was there but he kept them in the Championship, something no coach has done at York since we reformed
Posted Image

#43 blackhawk

blackhawk

boxer boy

• Coach
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Yeah that was a real feat. As I said in a previous post, the squads he had at his disposal in both 2004 AND 2005 were two of the best Batley have had, and were littered with quality part-time players. If you think winning a relegation play-off final by a single point against a team from a lower division - after a dire season that was the result of his own ineptitude, is a massive achievement, then you must truly be mental.

been mental a long time harold now ,tell me something i dont know

#44 ashbourneknight

ashbourneknight
  • Coach
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

Of available and affordable coaches I think he is probably the best option for the Knights.

GT left Batley 3 years ago, has done a very positive job at Cas and lots of things have changed since he last coached at this level, plus York is a very different club to Batley, so I suggest we all give him a chance to show his worth next season, then make our minds up.

He might not have turned Batley into world beaters when he was there but he kept them in the Championship, something no coach has done at York since we reformed

Don't know to much about GT other than Gin and Tonic or Thorntons Toffee and Chocolate, but on a serious note he will be starting from a
blank sheet of paper lets see how he fills in the sheet in, surely he as the experience lets see if he as man management skills and be a good communicator.

#45 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

i suspect most knights fans will give him 1 or 2 games to get it right !!
sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

#46 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,845 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

I think Thornton did a good job at Batley, with limited resources.

Just look at what's happened since he's left.

Didnt he win coach of the year while at Batley?, good choice now it's up to the fans to get behind him and help build a strong squad for next year.

#47 number9

number9
  • Coach
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Apologies for going back on my promise, but I hate shoddy journalism. I wonder who provided the writer with a collection of duff facts?

Batley I am sure made the playoffs in 2004, because they beat Rochdale (for who I was playing for at the time) in the last game of the season. Whoever won that game went into the playoffs.

Played under GT at Batley and he was a very good coach with hardly any money to spend on players and like has been stated kept them in that division. Good luck Gaz all the best. Get behind him you guys.

Edited by number9, 09 July 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#48 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

We are behind him, its a few Batley fans (and someone who must have had his first born killed by GT. Or something.) that aren't...
Posted Image

#49 jiggyknight

jiggyknight
  • Coach
  • 654 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Give the bloke a chance Batley fans may not like him but he's a knight now see how he goes can't do any worse than this season has gone.

#50 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Some Batley fans may not like him but the guy did a great job keeping them going on ###### resources.
I've a lot of time for GT. Give him a chance and i think he'll prove his worth for York

#51 blackhawk

blackhawk

boxer boy

• Coach
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:05 AM

Some Batley fans may not like him but the guy did a great job keeping them going on ###### resources.
I've a lot of time for GT. Give him a chance and i think he'll prove his worth for York

wont be for the want of trying lads ,hes a top bloke aswell always been approachable

#52 jayemm

jayemm
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

Maybee Batley fans are worried our new coach is gonna be a success.Why else is there so much interest from them?

#53 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Interesting to read these posts again and interested to hear the thoughts now following relegation?

Have to say some of the negativity towards Harold seems a bit misguided now as he was right all along
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#54 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

Whoever Harold is, he was right. That's what you wanted to hear, so go away. Thanks.

It's time to park the camels.

#55 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

I'm not blaming the coach, I'd say having the lowest playing budget in the division played a big part. Maybe we should sack off the Under 20's and the community dept then we could maybe afford to be a top 5 team like Batley.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#56 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

Interesting to read these posts again and interested to hear the thoughts now following relegation?

Have to say some of the negativity towards Harold seems a bit misguided now as he was right all along

We have wounds to lick

#57 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

I'm not blaming the coach, I'd say having the lowest playing budget in the division played a big part. Maybe we should sack off the Under 20's and the community dept then we could maybe afford to be a top 5 team like Batley.

You have you're Under-20's to pay for, we have our own ground to fund year in year out. Go figure.

Posted Image

#58 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

You must have a truck full of straws to clutch at.

The coach, his tactics, training methods and his signings got you relegated, nothing more and nothing less.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#59 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

You have you're Under-20's to pay for, we have our own ground to fund year in year out. Go figure.

No rent to pay, an asset to borrow against, bars, food outlets, grants for ground improvements. My heart bleeds.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#60 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

when all teams play on a level playing field you can gloat about owning your own ground

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users