Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

5K run on a treadmill

Beginner

• Please log in to reply
600 replies to this topic

#181 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,114 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

Another trip to the gym this evening. A session on the treadmill and cross trainer then some fun with kettle balls.

Can't move my arms now and I suspect by the morning my legs will also be refusing to cooperate......

28m391z.jpg

#182 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

6.7 miles ridden to work this morning. Took the long.way round which doubled.the distance. Bloody cold though. Puts mileage for the month uo to 98.75. 3 mile ride.home will tip me over 100.

#183 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

I'm aiming to run 1000km this year, tracking it using Garmin. I'm on 265km so far.

10K race on Sunday and I'm now running home from work each Wednesday, which involves a 10.5 mile run with the last 2.5 uphill. It's a fine workout...
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#184 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

I'm aiming to run 1000km this year, tracking it using Garmin. I'm on 265km so far.10K race on Sunday and I'm now running home from work each Wednesday, which involves a 10.5 mile run with the last 2.5 uphill. It's a fine workout...

Garmin is great for tracking, 1000km some distance, nice one.

I did 100 mile in January, furthest I've ever run, feb had a few niggles and did 30 miles, this month on 10 in March

I'm glad you posted your target as it'll push me, it's my addictive personality

Good luck with your 10k, if you don't mind will you post your monthly distance??

Best wishes

Paul

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 21 March 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#185 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

No problem, as long as I remember - PM me if I haven't done it

#186 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

9 of the worst miles ever, just didn't feel right, however I just kept running

Somedays are hard, some are easy and then Some days you just think "what the hell"

Glad it's over !!!

#187 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,980 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

Just got result from this mornings parkrun. It's a new PB of 28.28. I am pretty pleased with it but this now means I have to get past the 28 minute mark! :)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#188 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,980 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

9 of the worst miles ever, just didn't feel right, however I just kept running

Somedays are hard, some are easy and then Some days you just think "what the hell"

Glad it's over !!!

Well in mate. I usually feel like that after a mile or so lol.

#189 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Just got result from this mornings parkrun. It's a new PB of 28.28. I am pretty pleased with it but this now means I have to get past the 28 minute mark! :)

PB breaker, a great feeling, yep under 28 next time!

Well in mate. I usually feel like that after a mile or so lol.

Thanks johnoco - mile or two or 9 some days really hurt.

I actually thought about the forum and thought I must run further.... Stop moaning and get on with it!!

#190 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

Just done the hilly Dronfield 10K in 49.08, over 2 minutes quicker than last year and my 2nd quickest 10K ever.

#191 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,980 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

Just done the hilly Dronfield 10K in 49.08, over 2 minutes quicker than last year and my 2nd quickest 10K ever.

That's some achievement mate.

#192 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

Agree with johnoco, impressive and some achievement with the way the weathers been today, nice one.

That's some achievement mate.

#193 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

Had a fair few fallow weeks.  Need to kickstart again.  Gym, crossfit, swimming and parkrun might be added to the armoury!  So far I'm just done walking (14 miles + is no longer too far but a good day).

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#194 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

Weekend of rest and a renewed energy this morning. Absolutely freezing though, thermal tights and fleece hat had been put away for the summer but made a reappearance today!

#195 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,069 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

Next weekend is looking promising; there's a nice, open block of time to really nail down a solid starting point.

It's then or never in my eyes!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#196 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

My pb is 28:22 in the Perth Parkrun from a few weeks ago, with an age grade of 54.17%. The age grade is a comparison method where they compare your time (or, rather, your speed) with the world best for 5k for your gender and age range. I do a bit of running for health and general fitness, so I was a bit peeved when my wife just turned up with no running training (although she attends keep fit classes) and got a higher age grade - the challenge has been thrown down!

My brother has also started doing the Perth Parkrun, but the one in Western Australia. It's is great that you can regularly compete and compare with someone on the other side of the world.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#197 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

Weekend of rest and a renewed energy this morning. Absolutely freezing though, thermal tights and fleece hat had been put away for the summer but made a reappearance today!

..... and you still went out, nice one!

Next weekend is looking promising; there's a nice, open block of time to really nail down a solid starting point.

It's then or never in my eyes!

Good luck, make it happen, don't make excuses.... You can't do it, you will do it!!

My pb is 28:22 in the Perth Parkrun from a few weeks ago, with an age grade of 54.17%. The age grade is a comparison method where they compare your time (or, rather, your speed) with the world best for 5k for your gender and age range. I do a bit of running for health and general fitness, so I was a bit peeved when my wife just turned up with no running training (although she attends keep fit classes) and got a higher age grade - the challenge has been thrown down!
My brother has also started doing the Perth Parkrun, but the one in Western Australia. It's is great that you can regularly compete and compare with someone on the other side of the world.

Plenty of motivation for you to get better, good luck and I enjoyed your post, thanks again.

So glad I brought the page back to life, running isn't for all, however we all have choices to make on what best suits our lifestyles.

#198 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

Rain forecast for morning and evening commutes. Gives me a reason to get a shift on!

#199 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

Heard a grinding sound from rear brakes last night. Checked them and have worn through pad and grinding was coming from steel edge of shoe. Also found back tyre is bald. Have changed front pads onto back and will swap front tyre for back to get another month out of them. New brake shoes, pads and tyres is going to cost.

On a lighter note ive found white walled tyres. This is awesome!

#200 Stick to the Fax

Stick to the Fax
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

This is a great and inspirational thread that somehow I hadn't seen until this week.

I love my running. I'm age 55 and went for a 'age 50 check up' and essentially was told to buck up, and since then try to do a run or gym every day but it ends up being about 5 out of 7 most weeks. If I run every day I 'jar' my joints so restrict it to one run a week, through fields and tracks- 2 miles- which I time, and the rest is cross trainer, cycle etc.

The point of this is that I was told by my cardiologist, that from the age of 50 your muscles start diminishing, and in about 20 seconds told me a few things that made me think.

1) The muscle that you should exercise every day is the one you cannot see-- your heart . Everything else will improve around that.

2) You should do a 'full body exercise' such as running, swimming. x trainer etc.

3) You should do 30 minutes every day, 10 minutes getting up to a sweat, then maintain it for 20 mins. (Once you get quite fit, you have to work quite hard to get there)

4) Health for over 50's is 20% what you do, and 80% what you eat.

I would add that the biggest obstacle to all this is getting injured. Avoid it!!

Keep it going!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users