Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

5K run on a treadmill

Beginner

• Please log in to reply
663 replies to this topic

#281 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

Well that was a hellish ride home. Going.over the brow of a hill in cycle lane. Lane stopped and a car appeared out of nowhere in traffic line tucked right into pavement.
Managed to lift left foot and get through tiny gap but was braced to hit the mirror.
Legs were shaking afterwards!

Some people don't give a toss, glad your okay.... How many miles have you done this month?

What's your goal for next month?

#282 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

Some people don't give a toss, glad your okay.... How many miles have you done this month?

What's your goal for next month?

116 miles this month so far. Aiming.for 200 a month for next couple of months

#283 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

I'm dithering about whether to do a marathon in the autumn - part of me wants to, but I'm not sure I can prepare properly due to holidays and lack of longer races (30K and 20 miles) that are good prep, and which tend to be set up for spring. I've entered London, including my club ballot, so perhaps I'll wait, and if I don't get in I'll do Manchester next April.

What I really need is a local training partner looking to do a 4 hour marathon next year.

In the meantime, the Burton 10 mile awaits on Sunday followed by the Sinfin 10K in Derby on the 1st June, when I will be attempting a 10K PB.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#284 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

200km up for the month!

#285 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

I'm dithering about whether to do a marathon in the autumn - part of me wants to, but I'm not sure I can prepare properly due to holidays and lack of longer races (30K and 20 miles) that are good prep, and which tend to be set up for spring. I've entered London, including my club ballot, so perhaps I'll wait, and if I don't get in I'll do Manchester next April.What I really need is a local training partner looking to do a 4 hour marathon next year.In the meantime, the Burton 10 mile awaits on Sunday followed by the Sinfin 10K in Derby on the 1st June, when I will be attempting a 10K PB.

Only worth doing if you've got the spare time, maybe later on in the year will be best.

Good luck with your decision, better luck for your ten miler

#286 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:23 AM

Long slow 10 miler yesterday, last long run before the Liverpool 1/2 marathon

Really struggled to breathe as my hay fever is bad, worst ever if I'm honest!!

Any tips for hay fever would be very welcoming ??

73 miles run so far this month

#287 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

Had a grim experience at the Burton 10 mile yesterday - it was all going quite well until 15K when the wheels came off. I don't actually remember the last 10 minutes of the race and it took me half an hour to recover afterwards. I'm pretty sure it was heat exhaustion - light headedness, disorientation, nausea. This despite taking on plenty of fluid before and during the race.

Definitely a wake up call about running in heat - in future I will be taking it very steadily at anything over 20C.

I also seem to be having problems with some kind of pollen at the moment - I had some tests a few years ago and nothing came up but my nose has running during races recently. Faster than I have to be honest.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#288 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

Tough weekend meant no riding. Late night last night meant a lift this morning to work. Will get that corrected this week with 10 mile each way rides

#289 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

Back on it this morning. 13.6 miles in 50 minutes. 160 miles up for the month. Looking to beat 200 miles this month and should hopefully make it by.the end of the end of the week. May even be pushing 250 by end of week which would put me in sight of 300 miles by month end

#290 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

Back on it this morning. 13.6 miles in 50 minutes. 160 miles up for the month. Looking to beat 200 miles this month and should hopefully make it by.the end of the end of the week. May even be pushing 250 by end of week which would put me in sight of 300 miles by month end

Great effort, are you finding posting on the thread is motivating you to do more??

Your miles are stacking up!!

Your earlier post of 200 a month needs tweaking , only joking keep up the hard work and enjoy the results

#291 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

Great effort, are you finding posting on the thread is motivating you to do more??

Your miles are stacking up!!

Your earlier post of 200 a month needs tweaking , only joking keep up the hard work and enjoy the results

Definitely motivating. Hit a plateau on weight loss for last two weeks. Suspect my 3 mile ride home isnt giving my.body anytime to start fat burning before its over so extended the distance out to 10.5 miles. Near 4lb loss in last 24 hours suggests i was right

#292 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

Definitely motivating. Hit a plateau on weight loss for last two weeks. Suspect my 3 mile ride home isnt giving my.body anytime to start fat burning before its over so extended the distance out to 10.5 miles. Near 4lb loss in last 24 hours suggests i was right

Massive smile while reading your post!!!

Get in, great result, some weeks you lose jack and find it hard, always stick by your guns and push yourself with exercise - 4lbs boom!!

Made up for you, really nice to read.

I tried something else today for a change, swam 100 lengths first time in 10 years.
Really enjoyed it, great all over workout, skipped yoga as I've got my 1/2 marathon this Sunday.

Keep up the great work

Regards

Paul

#293 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

Real struggle to get up this morning, bigger struggle to get on the bike but.did it. Another 13.6 miles covered and a new top speed hit of 41.1mph.

All seems worth it now and 185 miles done for the month.

#294 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

I've been trying off and on for a while now to address my fitness, or lack there of. Managed to get myself back into the gym around the beginning of March. I must say, at first I was finding it very tough to manage even moderate levels of exertion. But then I am 51 and was about 17.5 stone. Initially my heart rate on the treadmill was pushing beyond 160bpm at slow jog/fast walk. :O following a moderate 10 minutes on the bike.

However, things are getting much better now after a steady 6 or 7 weeks. I can now manage my full circuit of

10 mins bike

8 mins treadmill

5 mins rowing

3 mins hand bike

7 mins cross trainer

3 x 12 dumbbell press

3 x 12 dumbbell row

3 x 12 leg extensions (machine)

2 x 10 lateral rotations 

4 min bike (cool down)

With little discomfort and have found my fitness has improved immensely. Where I was blowing on the treadmill after about 4 minutes of slow jog/fast walk I can now manage a steady 8.5kmh jog for the 8 minutes without my heart rate exceeding about 140bpm. With each exercise I am now far exceeding my original time/distance/weight. I am also now about a stone lighter, and heading in the right direction.

This has also been helped by the fact about 3 weeks ago I had a pain in my abdomen so I went to see the doctor who told me it could be gall stone/gallbladder problems and that I should cut fat out of my diet as a precaution until we find out what it is for certain. Which I have done and found surprisingly easy. I am really enjoying fat free food and not missing red meat, chips, butter etc at all.

My eventual aim is to increase fitness/reduce weight until I am in good enough shape to find a Masters Rugby League team who will have me so that I can resume playing TGG again.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#295 Stick to the Fax

Stick to the Fax
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

I did a 10k run over the weekend.

It honestly never crossed my mind that when I started my fitness campaign a couple of years ago (age 52) that I would ever do that, or that I would feel so well (!) or it would be so enjoyable.

The time was 1 hour 6 minutes, which leaves me with an obvious PB to aim for in the near future!!

#296 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

Griff9of13. That's some improvement in fitness and the HRM proves it.
Good on you, has your resting heart improved?

Stick to the fax - great read and what an achievement, inspiring.

Love this thread - inspirational, motivating and full of positives.

What ever your shape, size or condition, there's an activity you can do!!

Makes me smile and feel proud the amount of people joining in with their stories, we all have bad days, problems at work or issues at home, however you need to have a healthy body, mind and heart to be yourself, to be the best you know you can be.

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 21 May 2014 - 07:15 PM.

#297 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

According to.the bmi.scale im now no longer.obese and am into.overweight

#298 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

So not only have you got miles to ride, lbs to lose versus weight, you've got a new goal.

Watch that BMI move towards the Normal zone

All achievable objectives

Good luck

#299 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

I'm not a big fan of BMI if I'm honest; it is a very crude measurement of health. Throughout my playing career I was overweight/obese according to BMI but I was fit as a fiddle.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#300 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

I'm not a big fan of BMI if I'm honest; it is a very crude measurement of health. Throughout my playing career I was overweight/obese according to BMI but I was fit as a fiddle.

It is crude but its a semi useful guide.