Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

5K run on a treadmill

Beginner

• Please log in to reply
600 replies to this topic

#441 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

Of course, all this running is how wimps exercise. Not like these guys... calisthenics for REAL men.

BrjeBatIcAENqQz.jpg

They complain about cuts now, but at least rocket launching is automated.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#442 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

Not been posting for a while as I've been out of love with training, no running, plenty of spin.

JCB 6 mile run tomorrow, looking forward to it and hope it brings out my running heart.

Not run properly since the Liverpool half marathon end of may. Need my mojo back

Some great updates and glad the post is continuing to run

#443 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

I did a weight session two days ago, a bit of yoga yesterday (I am on holiday) and then went to do weights again today, but realised I had still not recovered and gave up. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#444 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

First outside run since the Liverpool 1/2 marathon end of may.

Fallen out of love with running, I'm going to get my mojo back.

Hope everyone is happy with their training plans... If not let's help motivate each other !!

#445 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

I had a rear puncture yesterday morning. Changed tube overnight and a quick 3 mile blast home tonight.

#446 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:20 AM

I had a rear puncture yesterday morning. Changed tube overnight and a quick 3 mile blast home tonight.

Did you do an endo all the way home?

#447 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

Managed to get out last night for the first time this week (lots of personal stuff getting in the way) for 15 miles, mainly off road. I do find riding the bike off road much more enjoyable and varied than road work, but generally slower. I find it works the upper body much more; I always find my upper arms/shoulders have felt it as much as my legs after one of these sessions. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#448 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

Still on the couch to 5k app on the phone – about two thirds of the way through now. No more walking intervals and last night did 22 minutes non stop and did pretty much 4k bang on in that time. Pretty chuffed – never even felt like I needed to stop once I got my rhythm going. Shouldn’t be much of a push now to do 5k and beyond.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#449 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

Tyre was flat again this morning. Will put last spare on tonight and hope for the best till new ones get delivered

#450 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

Tyre was flat again this morning. Will put last spare on tonight and hope for the best till new ones get delivered

Get delivered? I am very lucky, this place is only a 10 minute walk from my house: http://www.formbycycles.co.uk/ :)

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#451 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

Hope everyone is happy with their training plans... If not let's help motivate each other !!

Marathon prep is in full swing now. Running every weekend and Wednesday with stretching sessions and conditioning during the rest of the week. Trying to run no faster than 7mph otherwise I'll implode at the 20-mile mark on the last marathon I did. So last 3 runs over the week have a 'hilly' 6-miler, 7 on Sunday and a 5-mile today where I felt low on energy (must eat more!). I'll push out the miles to 8 this Sunday.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#452 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

Marathon prep is in full swing now. Running every weekend and Wednesday with stretching sessions and conditioning during the rest of the week. Trying to run no faster than 7mph otherwise I'll implode at the 20-mile mark on the last marathon I did. So last 3 runs over the week have a 'hilly' 6-miler, 7 on Sunday and a 5-mile today where I felt low on energy (must eat more!). I'll push out the miles to 8 this Sunday.

Good luck, I'm hoping your training programme will kick me up the backside.
Just done another 3 miles tonight with her indoors.
Hot and sticky evening.
Have fun

#453 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:39 PM

Good luck, I'm hoping your training programme will kick me up the backside.
Just done another 3 miles tonight with her indoors.
Hot and sticky evening.
Have fun

My missus is doing the marathon in October too; something she's wanted to do once... However, done a couple of runs with her and it has actually been enjoyable! I'll have to run separately as the distances increase in training otherwise I'll be going too slow but enjoying it while it lasts; I'll be getting the cold shoulder until at least Christmas post-marathon as it will be my fault... :)

Keep up the good work... Despite my job, I am inherently lazy so setting little challenges or entering events is ultimately the best way to motivate myself; doesn't work for everyone but certains gives me a kick up the ######.

Edited by GeordieSaint, 10 July 2014 - 10:42 PM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#454 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

My missus is doing the marathon in October too; something she's wanted to do once... However, done a couple of runs with her and it has actually been enjoyable! I'll have to run separately as the distances increase in training otherwise I'll be going too slow but enjoying it while it lasts; I'll be getting the cold shoulder until at least Christmas post-marathon as it will be my fault... :)
Keep up the good work... Despite my job, I am inherently lazy so setting little challenges or entering events is ultimately the best way to motivate myself; doesn't work for everyone but certains gives me a kick up the ######.

Nice post and totally agree about entering races, trying to do the Sefton 5 miler on Wednesday, Mrs Jones is going to join me.

Talking about kick up the backside, my two boys did the park run this morning for the first time.

The ten year old time was 24:37 and the eleven year old 23:45, this is the ultimate kick up the bum for me, I'll sure have to up my miles.... Mrs jones and I are so proud of them, they beat loads of adults, their smiles were amazing.

Keep running, keep posting and most of all keep enjoying.... Thanks for your posts, helps motivate me.

#455 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

Nice post and totally agree about entering races, trying to do the Sefton 5 miler on Wednesday, Mrs Jones is going to join me.

Talking about kick up the backside, my two boys did the park run this morning for the first time.

The ten year old time was 24:37 and the eleven year old 23:45, this is the ultimate kick up the bum for me, I'll sure have to up my miles.... Mrs jones and I are so proud of them, they beat loads of adults, their smiles were amazing.

Keep running, keep posting and most of all keep enjoying.... Thanks for your posts, helps motivate me.

I have vague memories of running in my twenties for the first time since I had been a slight teenager and realizing that running as a grown up is a very different matter.  I was carrying a huge amount of more weight round, even though there was very little fat on me. 

Running as a grown up is harder work, but it also means that when you are a kid is the best time to be introduced to running as a joy and it is great that they experience that rather than running as a necessary chore.  Hopefully, it will set them up for life, we must hope?

#456 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

24.11 parkrun time this morning very pleased with that , big sprint (for me) from the splash boat to finish line , nearly sick at the finish , soon passed . Lots of effort but well worth it .

#457 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,860 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

Did a pleasant 45 miler yesterday. Did a bit of exploring and found a brilliant climb going from Todmorden to Bacup, 4.7 km at 6% average. Caught me a bit by surprise so I didn't go up it very fast but am definitely going to tackle it again. Checking out the segment on Strava it seems that Simon Yates (one of the Brits left in the TDF) has the KOM from one of his winter training rides. 

Edited by Severus, 13 July 2014 - 07:12 AM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#458 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

Broke the missus today; did an off road 8-miler and sadly the track was a bit overgrown making the run hard work. A combination of that and probably a slightly fast pace from myself resulted in her being sick around the 6-mile mark back at the car... All credit to her, she did push on and complete another mile but wasn't massively impressed!

10-miler next weekend; I'll be making sure the route selection and pace setting is a bit better...

#459 Stick to the Fax

Stick to the Fax
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

Still on the couch to 5k app on the phone – about two thirds of the way through now. No more walking intervals and last night did 22 minutes non stop and did pretty much 4k bang on in that time. Pretty chuffed – never even felt like I needed to stop once I got my rhythm going. Shouldn’t be much of a push now to do 5k and beyond.

I can identify with all that!

I think that 4k in 22 mins is quite quick, for someone who hasn't gone to 5k yet !

I think people should put whether they are cycling or running on here, as sometimes it takes a few moments to work out, and it makes a big difference!!

#460 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

So Saturday I did 5k in 23:42 hot and sticky, fairly flat
Tonight 5k in 23:48 hotter and very sticky with a big HILL

Maybe getting my mojo back.

Race tomorrow night for the Sefton park 5 miler, target time 39 mins.... Should be targeting a tad under 38 mins

Hopefully get under and I'll definitely be back on track with my running

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 15 July 2014 - 06:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users