5K run on a treadmill

Hello people

just been reading the middle age spread post and there's a post on how long 10K run takes --- someone posted - 51 mins :O

I joined the gym recently to help with my weight loss

2005 I weigh 20st

2007 15 1/2 st

at present 14 st

for years I've struggled but portion control has seen the best results (as I did nothing else)

I've gone for the cheats way out and ride 6K on a gym bikes ( 10mins 28sec best time ) do a work out on back, shoulders, chest and tummy then a further 5K on the bike ( 8mins 18secs)

4 times a week inc a spin class.

The first time I ran was for 20mins just doing over 3.6K - I pushed myself as my 13year old daughter did 3K

second time I ran for 25 mins and did 4.25K

on my last run I did 5K in 29 mins

I'm aged 36 so In your honest opinion what time(s) should I be running??

Look forward to your response - I need motivation

I'm no sports Billy but if you are knackered at the end of the run then you are doing it right. On the treadmill I aim for around 25 minutes for a 5k at the start of my workout. I've recently started a bit of running outdoors and it is so much better than the treadmill. I find the the treadmill underestimates the speed you are going. For example, without really trying I run 10k in 52 minutes which I could never do on a treadmill, partly because of that big red stop button. ;)

Fides invicta triumphat

Life moves in mysterious ways, and is not always fair.

Nature dictates that the overall mass-balance in Warrington must be maintained.

The more weight you lose, the more that poor old Dave Solomona puts on.

Cruel, I call it.

;)B)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

<

Distance in as quickly as possible isn't important. It is the amount of time you run. You should be aiming to run between 45-60 mins each session at around 60-70% of your max heart rate as this is the optimal level to start fat burning (more or less without looking it up properly).

If you can't run for 45-60 mins not stop, walk for periods but at a fairly brisk pace, and then start again once your breathe comes back. Keeping your heart pumping above normal is a key component.

I'd advise you to get off the bike unless you do four times the distance you do running, as you need to do four times the distance to match what you'd lose whilst running. I'd also advise you to get off the treadmill and get running outdoors, it's miles better!

I do lots of running and just completed my first ultramarathon four weeks ago so if you want a bit more advice, give me a shout.

I came to an impasse running 5k on the treadmill. I had whittled it down to sub 25 minutes (anywhere between 23.45 and 24.30 minutes). The question I asked of one of the instructors was; isi t better to go quicker or longer? He replied; longer, always longer. After that, I started putting an additional 0.2k per week on my runs. The problem I found as a consequence, I was getting to 30 minutes and getting bored!

I came to an impasse running 5k on the treadmill. I had whittled it down to sub 25 minutes (anywhere between 23.45 and 24.30 minutes). The question I asked of one of the instructors was; isi t better to go quicker or longer? He replied; longer, always longer. After that, I started putting an additional 0.2k per week on my runs. The problem I found as a consequence, I was getting to 30 minutes and getting bored!

Cheers, end of August 25 mins is now my target.

Hello people

just been reading the middle age spread post and there's a post on how long 10K run takes --- someone posted - 51 mins :O

I joined the gym recently to help with my weight loss

2005 I weigh 20st

2007 15 1/2 st

at present 14 st

for years I've struggled but portion control has seen the best results (as I did nothing else)

I've gone for the cheats way out and ride 6K on a gym bikes ( 10mins 28sec best time ) do a work out on back, shoulders, chest and tummy then a further 5K on the bike ( 8mins 18secs)

4 times a week inc a spin class.

The first time I ran was for 20mins just doing over 3.6K - I pushed myself as my 13year old daughter did 3K

65k with a 55 pound pack around the Brecon Beacons in 15 hours 22 mins :wacko:

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Cheers, end of August 25 mins is now my target.

Get yourself signed up for the birchwood 10k on 19th August. Don't worry about time. Also if you've got a smartphone get one of the apps available and get onto the streets. I use adidas micoach which is based around time rather than distance and gives you zones to run in to stop you just plodding around, but runkeeper, cardiotracker and mytracks are all good as well.

The thing with running is if you stick at it that time will com down. I did a few 10ks last year I found it easier to alternate between fast 5ks and slower 10ks. Once you get a bit of confidence though it's much easier to do your runs on the road.

Just remember that running on a treadmill is a tad different than running outside. You're on the right track, running for longer is better but it really does depend on what you want to achieve. Do you want to shed fat or lose weight? If it's the former, then 30 minutes max but at your absolute maximum energy output. I do 30 minutes of HIIT (high intensity interval training) and it works a treat. As many rounds of 500m fast jog, 500m row and 1k cycle I can do in 30 minutes. There is some science suggesting that at around 30 minutes, your body starts devouring muscle as it's energy source rather than fat.

In saying that, if you're training for a longer event then start slowly stretching your runs out. I do an "out and back" run where I run for 15 minutes and then turn around and run back. The next week I run for 17 and the next 20 and so forth. Within a couple of months you'll be easily running for an hour. Then, when you can easily do that, it's time to work on speed.

Thanks guys.

I'll post end of August.

Losing weight is my goal, keeping the weight off is my MUST.

Getting fit will be my new lifestyle - So running will be part of my DNA - Eventually I'd like to run outside and thanks for the comments once more

I'd echo what most people said - running outside is way better than a treadmill. The treadmill is so boring its easy to give up.

A month ago I ran my first half marathon (21km) in 2hr 2min. The previous year in the same event I struggled to complete the 10km!

It's all about perseverance. If I was you I'd pick an event to run in and make that your target.

My aim was to run all the half marathon with no walking, and to do that I had to force myself out training, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it.

Motivation of losing weight wasn't enough for me, but giving myself a date by which I had to achieve a certain level of fitness worked for me.

The online training plans were all about running for a set time, not speed or distance. The longer you run, the fitter you get, then you can run for even longer and it starts to get addictive!

That first time you run non-stop for, say, an hour is a fantastic feeling, then you just want to make 1hr 10mins etc.

You'll find it becomes more about your desire to reach those targets than to simply lose weight, and that's when you'll lose weight without thinking about it :-)

One thing I forgot to mention, which i hope I am not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs. Get fitted for a pair of running shoes. I went to a shop (up and running) for a gait check. Walked out with a really good pair of New Balance, replaced them with what I believed to be the replacement shoe and ended up with knee and hip pains!

Don't underestimate the importance of the correct shoes.

Just remember that running on a treadmill is a tad different than running outside. You're on the right track, running for longer is better but it really does depend on what you want to achieve. Do you want to shed fat or lose weight? If it's the former, then 30 minutes max but at your absolute maximum energy output. I do 30 minutes of HIIT (high intensity interval training) and it works a treat. As many rounds of 500m fast jog, 500m row and 1k cycle I can do in 30 minutes. There is some science suggesting that at around 30 minutes, your body starts devouring muscle as it's energy source rather than fat.

In saying that, if you're training for a longer event then start slowly stretching your runs out. I do an "out and back" run where I run for 15 minutes and then turn around and run back. The next week I run for 17 and the next 20 and so forth. Within a couple of months you'll be easily running for an hour. Then, when you can easily do that, it's time to work on speed.

Bro science alert!

The claim that after 30 mins you start "devouring" your own muscle at the expense of other energy sources is just silly.

Any training stress will cause the body to break down muscle tissue but adequate rest/ sleep, good nutrition and proper hydration will more than compensate.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

Bro science alert!

The claim that after 30 mins you start "devouring" your own muscle at the expense of other energy sources is just silly.

Any training stress will cause the body to break down muscle tissue but adequate rest/ sleep, good nutrition and proper hydration will more than compensate.

Yeah, the nerds are always arguing about it but there is no doubting 30 minutes of really intense cardio is better than an hour or moderate to low cardio when it comes to weight loss. It does come down to your goal though but even if you are aiming to run for an hour or 2, you should still work in some HIIT on your off-days. Hill sprints are a good one. I also found cross training (jumping on a bike and cycling, hard, for an hour) really helped with my aerobic capacity and made running easier.

One thing I forgot to mention, which i hope I am not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs. Get fitted for a pair of running shoes. I went to a shop (up and running) for a gait check. Walked out with a really good pair of New Balance, replaced them with what I believed to be the replacement shoe and ended up with knee and hip pains!

Don't underestimate the importance of the correct shoes.

Correct shoes are a must but also get someone to look at your running gait. There are clinics around which will analyse your running style and help you out. You'd be amazed at what changing small things to your stride and running posture can do for your body. When I comes to shoes, I actually made the switch to minimal shoes a few years ago. Those Vibram toe-shoes. The results were slow to come but when they did I was running faster and without less pain than I had in years.

Correct shoes are a must but also get someone to look at your running gait. There are clinics around which will analyse your running style and help you out. You'd be amazed at what changing small things to your stride and running posture can do for your body.

That's something that a lot of people overlook. Doing a lot of distance with a dodgy running action can do quite a lot of harm.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived