Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

5K run on a treadmill

Beginner

• Please log in to reply
663 replies to this topic

#61 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

Last year I used the micoach app from Adidas when training for Birchwood and the half marathon.  It comes up with runs where you have to change pace, which was crucial in improving my times, because I have always been a bit of a one pace plodder.  Nice to see this post, as I am finally starting my training for this years 10k and half marathon today, and need a bit of encouragement to get out there.

Good start, found I'd only brought 1 trainer to work.

#62 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Good start, found I'd only brought 1 trainer to work.

How's the training going?? Remembered your trainers today??

I've done two runs this week , slow 10k at the wife's pace, really enjoyed it 56mins and 17k tonight in 1hr26

Hope all is well.

#63 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

I've done two runs this week , slow 10k at the wife's pace, really enjoyed it 56mins and 17k tonight in 1hr26

Very impressed! I remember the initially start to the thread and gradually times have improved dramatically. Are you enjoying it?

Despite the job, I do struggle with motivation at times and have to set myself a goal or two to get out. I haven't done much since running the Stanley Marathon in the Falklands in March but did the Kings Lynn 10k in May. Next race is the Norwich Half Marathon in November. I best get some of your movitation... :)

Well done again mate.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#64 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Very impressed! I remember the initially start to the thread and gradually times have improved dramatically. Are you enjoying it?

Despite the job, I do struggle with motivation at times and have to set myself a goal or two to get out. I haven't done much since running the Stanley Marathon in the Falklands in March but did the Kings Lynn 10k in May. Next race is the Norwich Half Marathon in November. I best get some of your movitation... :)

Well done again mate.

Love it, find it very addictive but I need to slow down early on....i push myself too hard for 5/10k then struggle from 14/15k

I'd love to do a full marathon and respect to you, I remember you mentioning the Stanley marathon , I may one day try one

Good look with your preparations - motivation is the key.

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 03 July 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#65 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

Last month I smashed my 10K PB twice in two weeks. Now down to 48.34, whcih I did at the Humber Bridge 10K.

Hopefully a 10 miler on Sunday, building up to half marathon season in the autumn.

3 years ago I was 16st7lbs, now down to 11st5lbs

Seriously looking at a marathon next year - there's a new one in Chesterfield in June.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#66 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

Just thought I'd bring this post up to date and thank a few people

I've now done 5k in 20 mins and 54 secs and managed a 10k in 47mins 20 secs

Kettlebells really helped losing weight and toning until I hurt my arm, this encouraged me to run out on the road and become a better and stronger runner.

I've now signed up for the birchwood 10k as recommended by a poster and I've also enrolled in the Warrington half marathon.

I'm not bothered about the 10 k as I regular do sub 50 times, does anyone have any tips for half marathons??

Training plans, good foods, foods to avoid..... And do I need to stop drinking? If so when?

I've done the distance once in less than two hours but would really like a sub 1hr 50

Thanks in advance

Paul

I've just done the one, and did it in 1hr 54 m despite having tendonitis in the knee - shouldn't have finished it really but you can't stop after 10 miles....

I built up by doing 8-10 miles once a week plus some shorter runs, and then a couple of 13 mile runs leading up. I didn't take any food on during the race, but apparantly it's a good idea. I don't like the gels but maybe I'll try some jelly babies!

#67 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

Thanks tim2. Great time for the 1/2 marathon.

Go for the marathon, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated

#68 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

How's the training going?? Remembered your trainers today??

Hope all is well.

I did remember my trainers, and went on Tuesday with a work colleague, 5.5km in 33 minutes, and then yesterday as well, 5km in 28m13s.  I'm using that as my benchmark, because I've just changed my phone, having found out recently that all of my times since last year have been skewed by the fact that the gps on my phone was not accurate and had me zigzagging across roads left right and centre, so my sub 25 minute 5km was in fact probably 4.5km.  Bit disappointing really , but shows why my Birchwood 10k time never got near sub 50 minutes! 

Do you use any apps?  I'm on Runkeeper, and always happy to accept more friends on there

#69 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Do you use any apps?  I'm on Runkeeper, and always happy to accept more friends on there

I use Strava primarily for my bike but also when running. I have a Garmin cycle GPS that I stuck in my pocket the last time I went running. Much more accurate than my iPhone and it allowed me to use my heart rate monitor.

Fides invicta triumphat

#70 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

I use Strava primarily for my bike but also when running. I have a Garmin cycle GPS that I stuck in my pocket the last time I went running. Much more accurate than my iPhone and it allowed me to use my heart rate monitor.

How innaccurate was your iPhone?  I've gone from HTC Sensation to iPhone to sort my GPS issues.

#71 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

I did remember my trainers, and went on Tuesday with a work colleague, 5.5km in 33 minutes, and then yesterday as well, 5km in 28m13s.  I'm using that as my benchmark, because I've just changed my phone, having found out recently that all of my times since last year have been skewed by the fact that the gps on my phone was not accurate and had me zigzagging across roads left right and centre, so my sub 25 minute 5km was in fact probably 4.5km.  Bit disappointing really , but shows why my Birchwood 10k time never got near sub 50 minutes! 

I bet your glad to get some miles under your belt.... I purchased Garmin 310XT c/w Heart Monitor and when I run with the Wife (she has the IPHONE) theres a difference of 100 metres sometimes... cant remember the APP she uses (thinks its map my run)

Keep up the good work, we can spur each other on.

Regards

Paul

#72 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

How innaccurate was your iPhone?  I've gone from HTC Sensation to iPhone to sort my GPS issues.

I don't have an exact reading but looking at the elevation profiles the Garmin seemed to sample more often than the iPhone thus giving a smoother reading. 

Fides invicta triumphat

#73 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

29 hard minutes in the hot sun to get 5km.  Hopefully it'll get easier in the next few weeks! 

#74 Chariots

Chariots
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

I am a running coach with PBs of 5k 16.20, 10k 33, half m 1.22 and marathon 2.45

10 years ago it took me 54mins for my first 10k

My advice to anyone would be just get outside and run, join a club if you can most are very friendly and cater or abilities. If not run with friends it makes it easier

General rules for running and improving are to run longer than your distance and shorter but faster, for example for a 5k race I will do lots of runs up to 10miles so the 5k feels short, I wil also do some speed session (such as 12 x 400m) so I am running at a faster pace than my 5k time and this allowing my body to get used to a faster pace

If you always run at once pace you will get good at running at that pace

#75 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

29 hard minutes in the hot sun to get 5km.  Hopefully it'll get easier in the next few weeks!

Not bad in the hot weather when getting back into training, I dragged the wife out of bed this morning, at her pace we did 4miles in 32 and 1/2 mins. Not bad.

I am a running coach with PBs of 5k 16.20, 10k 33, half m 1.22 and marathon 2.45
10 years ago it took me 54mins for my first 10k
My advice to anyone would be just get outside and run, join a club if you can most are very friendly and cater or abilities. If not run with friends it makes it easier
General rules for running and improving are to run longer than your distance and shorter but faster, for example for a 5k race I will do lots of runs up to 10miles so the 5k feels short, I wil also do some speed session (such as 12 x 400m) so I am running at a faster pace than my 5k time and this allowing my body to get used to a faster pace
If you always run at once pace you will get good at running at that pace

Thanks for that chariots..... In your opinion what distance should I Trian upto for the half marathon

Thanks in advance

Paul

#76 Chariots

Chariots
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

It depends how you want to do really, if you just want to finish a half i would make sure you are capable of running 10miles in training, the day will get you round the last three miles

If you want to do well I would suggest training up to 15miles, with some shorter faster session ,

Good luck

#77 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

It depends how you want to do really, if you just want to finish a half i would make sure you are capable of running 10miles in training, the day will get you round the last three miles
If you want to do well I would suggest training up to 15miles, with some shorter faster session ,
Good luck

Thanks, I've got 5 ten milers under my belt and the full distance. I'd love to break 1:50 so I'll take your advice and try for 15 miles two weeks before at a slow pace .

Comments really are appreciated

#78 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

10 miler tomorrow! I'm going to carry water for the first time as I was getting dry after 3K today in a training run.

Try the Park Runs - you can find them all over the place. You register online and you get a timed race for all abilities and it's free! Once registered you can run any of them just using a printed barcode.

http://www.parkrun.o.../events/events/

#79 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

Thanks, I've got 5 ten milers under my belt and the full distance. I'd love to break 1:50 so I'll take your advice and try for 15 miles two weeks before at a slow pace .

Comments really are appreciated

Not trying to heap pressure on, but my best for the 10k is 52:50 and I got 1 hr 53 in last years English Half, so if I were you, I'd aim for 1:50, but have a sneaky look at 1:45 if it's all going well half way through

#80 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Not trying to heap pressure on, but my best for the 10k is 52:50 and I got 1 hr 53 in last years English Half, so if I were you, I'd aim for 1:50, but have a sneaky look at 1:45 if it's all going well half way through

thanks MikeW - I've got an addictive personality and this gives me two targets.... training is in a good place with weeks to go for me at present... Just need to reduce my spin classes (currently at 6/7 per week)

hope your first week back is going well??