Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

5K run on a treadmill

Beginner

• Please log in to reply
600 replies to this topic

#81 Chariots

Chariots
  • Coach
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

If its red hot on race day alter your pace accordingly , you might need to run that little bit slower

#82 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

Due to car issues I got the train today, so a 2.5 km run to Sankey Station, followed by a 2km run from Liverpool South Parkway to work.  Each run averaging 5:45 m/km which isn't great but I did have a backpack on I suppose.  After shower discovered the boxer shorts I'd brought with me were actually my 6 year old lads pyjama shorts!

#83 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

No way, did make me laugh.. Slowly slowly but getting more miles under the belt.

I checked my heart monitor dashboard yesterday and I worked out in 42 days I'd had only 5 days off from either spin or running.

day off today and I've been itching to do something, can't wait for tomorrow.

#84 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

Yes, a slightly uncomfortable day at work.  Those are really impressive stats, it's all about habit, and you've got it bigtime!  I've found since I've started running again that my mood and energy has picked up as well, maybe coincidence but I doubt it.

#85 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

Got myself out of bed this morning at 5:30 and did 14K - tried to take it easy at 5:13 per KM and it was hard work.

Not run that far in a morning, but its more miles in the memory bank.

#86 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

Did 7k last night, which is the furthest this year so far.  My pace is so one level it's ridiculous at the minute, 5:47 m/km.  As I'm using a new tracking system though, it's nice when you get updates saying you've run the fastest and furthest ever.  In one sense it's not true, but I am effectively starting again after so long off, so it's nice to see improvements for this years training, albeit small ones.  Onwards and Upwards!

#87 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

3.33 km yesterday at dinner, or 3.63km if you believe my old phone, as I took both out to see just how inaccurate it is.

#88 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

Have any of you runners tried Fartlek training to your runs, just to introduce some variety? 

#89 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

Have any of you runners tried Fartlek training to your runs, just to introduce some variety? 

Not an expert by any means, but I think it's important to try and include both longer runs for endurance, and quicker running, such as Fartlek, into your training, both for variety, and also to keep the body guessing.  I am looking to do 5*400m in my next run, with a 100m walk in between to try and improve my speed

#90 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Not one run since last Friday, hurt my back when the strap snapped on the spin bike, gutted.

#91 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

55.05 minutes for a 10k last night.  Very happy with that.  Was looking to do sub 1 hour, but from 6.5k I changed from a podcast to music and I knocked 30 seconds off each subsequent kilometre.  I read a lot about people who want ipods etc banned from races but I my times would seriously drop off if I couldn't distract myself.  I don't tend to have anything on at the very start because you have to concentrate with all the people around you, but once you've done the first 1/2 km or so I've never had any issues of running into someone because I haven't heard them .

#92 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

Not been in a good place training wise due to holiday, moving house and injuries.

First 10k this morning pushing myself and did 49m 44secs with three decent hills, so pretty happy.

Birchwood 10k 2 weeks away so fingers crossed for a sub 48m

Hope your going ok mike w

#93 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:19 AM

Err not really no.  After that 10k I got a shin injury and haven't been out since.  I'm deferring my half marathon till next year, but will still be doing the 10k.

#94 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

Err not really no.  After that 10k I got a shin injury and haven't been out since.  I'm deferring my half marathon till next year, but will still be doing the 10k.

Gutted for you. I've hated being injured. Hope all goes well in the 10k, are you doing the birchwood 10k?

I did 20k this morning 1hr49 it hurt like hell in my legs I need to stop the hurting and not sure how I can do that??

Also got joggers nipple and bleed like hell, got two big round circles on my top, so so sore.

#95 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

Gutted for you. I've hated being injured. Hope all goes well in the 10k, are you doing the birchwood 10k?

I did 20k this morning 1hr49 it hurt like hell in my legs I need to stop the hurting and not sure how I can do that??

Also got joggers nipple and bleed like hell, got two big round circles on my top, so so sore.

Nasty - I got that a few weeks ago when I put the race number on too high and the safety pin caused rubbing...

Just did a 5 mile PB after 2 weeks on holiday so can't complain (39m42s) and I'm after my 5K PB later this month. Then it's the half marathon season so back to longer distances in training. There's no real avoiding the legs aching, but you can alleviate it by cooling down properly and doing it more often.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#96 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:25 AM

Nasty - I got that a few weeks ago when I put the race number on too high and the safety pin caused rubbing...

Just did a 5 mile PB after 2 weeks on holiday so can't complain (39m42s) and I'm after my 5K PB later this month. Then it's the half marathon season so back to longer distances in training. There's no real avoiding the legs aching, but you can alleviate it by cooling down properly and doing it more often.

Thanks tim2 good time good luck.
My legs are ok this morning, I just need to push myself rather than thinking about it.

#97 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

Went out yesterday and did a 5km in 28:16, and my legs feel fine today, so I'll just do a couple more runs before next Sunday and take whatever time I get.  As I'm not expecting anything stellar I can enjoy the race and not worry about time

#98 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

I know it isn't particularly running applicable, but, have you guys tried throwing some kettlebells around?

I forgot how much fun they are. I could see some real benefits to runners trying out exercises such as sumo squats and double-arm swings.

#99 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

Went out yesterday and did a 5km in 28:16, and my legs feel fine today, so I'll just do a couple more runs before next Sunday and take whatever time I get.  As I'm not expecting anything stellar I can enjoy the race and not worry about time

Nice one mike, keep up the training and good luck next Sunday ..... Enjoy.

I know it isn't particularly running applicable, but, have you guys tried throwing some kettlebells around?

I forgot how much fun they are. I could see some real benefits to runners trying out exercises such as sumo squats and double-arm swings.

Thanks to kettle bells my core is getting stronger, love them, great fun.... Add 7 spin classes you can't keep me out of the village hotel
Wife loves it!!

#100 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

49mins10secs today, made up, included 3 loops of a big hill ( red lane for the locals)

1 week until my first race..... Can't wait...... First time since school have I competed in a running race..... I don't know what I'll do without my spoon :P

Does anyone have any tips for food before, during and after please??

Both the 10k and 1/2 marathons are mid morning starts.

Thanks in advance

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users