TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

5K run on a treadmill

Beginner

• Please log in to reply
714 replies to this topic

#101 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Done the Bradford 5K parkrun this morning. Have been on holiday and not run for a few weeks so it was a bit harder than last time. No records broken this week I feel but I didn't stop which is a sort of victory to me.
Also dragged some nieces and nephew along so I am doing my bit.

Edited by Johnoco, 17 August 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#102 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,378 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

Done the Bradford 5K parkrun this morning. Have been on holiday and not run for a few weeks so it was a bit harder than last time. No records broken this week I feel but I didn't stop which is a sort of victory to me.
Also dragged some nieces and nephew along so I am doing my bit.

Well done! Let me know if you're doing it again and I might drive up there and join you. I did the Rother Valley one today in a really good time of 23.10, just 6 seconds off a PB and the best i've ever done that course. 

Park runs are a fantastic concept - I volunteer as well as run.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#103 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,378 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

49mins10secs today, made up, included 3 loops of a big hill ( red lane for the locals)

1 week until my first race..... Can't wait...... First time since school have I competed in a running race..... I don't know what I'll do without my spoon :P

Does anyone have any tips for food before, during and after please??

Both the 10k and 1/2 marathons are mid morning starts.

Thanks in advance

Paul

I go with porridge about 2 hours before the race and a banana just before. Hydrate properly before the race, especially for the long one.

I have a quick slurp of water at the station during a 10K but you don't need it unless it's really hot. For the half marathon take whatever water you can take at the stations - carry it if it's really hot.

After, eat what the hell you like, you deserve it! After my PB at the Humber Bridge, I went for a bacon sandwich and an ice cream.

#104 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

I go with porridge about 2 hours before the race and a banana just before. Hydrate properly before the race, especially for the long one.

I have a quick slurp of water at the station during a 10K but you don't need it unless it's really hot. For the half marathon take whatever water you can take at the stations - carry it if it's really hot.

After, eat what the hell you like, you deserve it! After my PB at the Humber Bridge, I went for a bacon sandwich and an ice cream.

When you say hydrate, do you go for water or electrolyte based drinks?

#105 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

Well done! Let me know if you're doing it again and I might drive up there and join you. I did the Rother Valley one today in a really good time of 23.10, just 6 seconds off a PB and the best i've ever done that course. 

Park runs are a fantastic concept - I volunteer as well as run.

Nice one. But if you run at 23 minutes, don't be expecting me to keep up! :D

#106 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,378 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

When you say hydrate, do you go for water or electrolyte based drinks?

Just water for me, I have used the "better than water" drinks but didn't make much difference

#107 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

Got my result from today. Knocked a minute and half of my previous run. Watch out Mo Farah

#108 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

47:33 for my 10K

Made up, nah, happy as a pig in a blanket.

Still had a little in the tank so I'm hoping for a 46: something next time.

Training on hills has paid off big time..... Just need to work on sprint sessions.

Porridge was a winner for breakfast !!!

#109 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

55:32 which is all I was expecting after the training I've done.  Was struggling at the end so at least I know I put in as much effort on the day as I could

#110 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,378 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

47:33 for my 10K

Made up, nah, happy as a pig in a blanket.

Still had a little in the tank so I'm hoping for a 46: something next time.

Training on hills has paid off big time..... Just need to work on sprint sessions.

Porridge was a winner for breakfast !!!

Well done, my best is 48.34

Edited by tim2, 19 August 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#111 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

55:32 which is all I was expecting after the training I've done.  Was struggling at the end so at least I know I put in as much effort on the day as I could

Nice one, you finished and put the effort in, always makes it worthwhile

Keep up the hard work

Well done, my best is 48.35

Thanks, the hill training paid off and I loved it.
Now to train for the 1/2marathon in three weeks.

#112 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,378 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

Nice one, you finished and put the effort in, always makes it worthwhile

Keep up the hard work

Thanks, the hill training paid off and I loved it.
Now to train for the 1/2marathon in three weeks.

I've just booked in for the Nottingham Half Marathon at the end of September. I hope to do one a month until Christmas. Before then, the small matter of beating my 5K PB, which is 23.04 - on Saturday I ran 23.10 so I'm reasonably confident I can do it before the end of the month.

#113 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,378 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

Ran in to work today - 10.25 miles in just over an hour and a half. Not bad for the first long run for a while.

#114 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

I'm trying to make my mind up whether to do a 10k in a couple of weeks. Won't be my first, but would be my first attempt to actually run, rather than just run/walk as I've been nagged into doing it for charidee...

I've not really done much training, but I don't think my fitness is that bad. Last run I did was last week, when I did just over 3.5 miles in a little over 30 mins. Run a bit steadier, and I reckon I could get round, hopefully in around 1 hour. Probably won't get much more training in before the date as I'm away in the Isle of Man next week, though I am planning on taking some stuff to run in, just in case I get a bit of time with nowt to do.

It's a fairly nice course too, down the valley & back, though the fact that the only climb of note is fairly near the end could be a killer for me.

http://www.epilepsy....runs/alices-run

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#115 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

I'm trying to make my mind up whether to do a 10k in a couple of weeks. Won't be my first, but would be my first attempt to actually run, rather than just run/walk as I've been nagged into doing it for charidee...

I've not really done much training, but I don't think my fitness is that bad. Last run I did was last week, when I did just over 3.5 miles in a little over 30 mins. Run a bit steadier, and I reckon I could get round, hopefully in around 1 hour. Probably won't get much more training in before the date as I'm away in the Isle of Man next week, though I am planning on taking some stuff to run in, just in case I get a bit of time with nowt to do.

It's a fairly nice course too, down the valley & back, though the fact that the only climb of note is fairly near the end could be a killer for me.

http://www.epilepsy....runs/alices-run

You'll love it, I'm 37 and wish I did them years ago. Get some miles into your legs and an hour will be possible.

Good look for the charity

#116 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

First run for 15 days, fallen out of love with running as I've been too busy in work

10miles under the belt tonight and only 6 days before th big day.

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 02 September 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#117 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

So I’m starting to run a bit now – baby steps as it were. Just been reading this thread for a bit of inspiration and I thought at least if I posted in this thread I’ll have to go through with it!

Been trying to get healthy all this year; I was really unfit but since February I’ve joined a gym, been playing Touch Rugby and Handball (amazing fun by the way, really recommended) and have lost 2 and a half stone which I’m pretty pleased with. However I’ve never really “got” running. Hated it at school, and never found my way with it since. Even now, I avoid the treadmill in the gym even though I know it’s good for me.

Anyway, my friend who was also slightly unfit – but not fat – trained for and ran a 10k earlier this year and has challenged me to do the Manchester run next year, which I’ve accepted. I’ve just started training to 5k – got an app on my phone, “Couch to 5k”, which tells you how to pace your runs – at first with walking intervals – over a period of weeks. Only done two runs so far, but I think it might stick this time – the one I did yesterday I wanted to keep running despite getting the order to walk. It’s strange how quick you can see a difference in just a few days. Think it’ll be best to stick to the plan though. I know it sounds dumb, and you guys will know this more than anyone, but it’s always surprising to me how massively different road running is to any experience in the gym.

I’ll let you know how I get on anyway, more for my own sake if nothing else. There is a lot of good inspiration in this thread!

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#118 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

Due to a combination of work and illness I haven't run for over 2 weeks. Just been out for a short run and was knackered! It doesn't take much to lose impetus. ...or is it just me?

#119 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,459 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

If any of you want the added focus of a spot in the London Marathon my charity has a spare place.

PM if interested.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#120 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,885 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

Here in London, there are only two groups that regularly cause me hindrance and/or hazard.

1. People on foot.

2. People on wheels.

Everyone else (the bedridden, those passing over head in aeroplanes, people in boats) are just fine. So the thought of sharing the road with several thousand people who have only a vague notion that they are not alone in the universe doesn't appeal.

...ad I'm really not fit enough for a Marathon.

Edited by Futtocks, 03 September 2013 - 11:52 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users