Beginner

• Please log in to reply
705 replies to this topic

#121 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

I beat my 5K PB on Sunday - down to 22.32 now.

Lots of work for half marathon training during September.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#122 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Due to a combination of work and illness I haven't run for over 2 weeks. Just been out for a short run and was knackered! It doesn't take much to lose impetus. ...or is it just me?

No, it isn't just you. Whatever the reasons, missing a couple of weeks, then getting back kills me.

#123 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

No, it isn't just you. Whatever the reasons, missing a couple of weeks, then getting back kills me.

That's good to hear :)

#124 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

So I’m starting to run a bit now – baby steps as it were. Just been reading this thread for a bit of inspiration and I thought at least if I posted in this thread I’ll have to go through with it!

Been trying to get healthy all this year; I was really unfit but since February I’ve joined a gym, been playing Touch Rugby and Handball (amazing fun by the way, really recommended) and have lost 2 and a half stone which I’m pretty pleased with. However I’ve never really “got” running. Hated it at school, and never found my way with it since. Even now, I avoid the treadmill in the gym even though I know it’s good for me.
Anyway, my friend who was also slightly unfit – but not fat – trained for and ran a 10k earlier this year and has challenged me to do the Manchester run next year, which I’ve accepted. I’ve just started training to 5k – got an app on my phone, “Couch to 5k”, which tells you how to pace your runs – at first with walking intervals – over a period of weeks. Only done two runs so far, but I think it might stick this time – the one I did yesterday I wanted to keep running despite getting the order to walk. It’s strange how quick you can see a difference in just a few days. Think it’ll be best to stick to the plan though. I know it sounds dumb, and you guys will know this more than anyone, but it’s always surprising to me how massively different road running is to any experience in the gym.

I’ll let you know how I get on anyway, more for my own sake if nothing else. There is a lot of good inspiration in this thread!

See you at the Manchester 10k. Enjoy your running and keep us posted.

Like you said it'll help motivate you and hopefully others may inspire you.

Keep it regular

#125 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

1 hour 49 mins and 36 secs

Omg I'm happy, but I'm sore.

Last 4 miles hurt, last 800 yards was a killer

Only started on the road in April so I'm a happy with my efforts.

Hope others are continuing with their goals

#126 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

Thanks, I've got 5 ten milers under my belt and the full distance. I'd love to break 1:50

Mission Accomplished!!

Congratulations!!

I woke up the morning of the race, yawned and my right hamstring went into spasm.  I knew then my deferment was the correct decision.

#127 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

Mission Accomplished!!

Congratulations!!

I woke up the morning of the race, yawned and my right hamstring went into spasm.  I knew then my deferment was the correct decision.

Thanks MW

Maybe see you next year!!

#128 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,394 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

Done the Bradford 5K parkrun this morning. Have been on holiday and not run for a few weeks so it was a bit harder than last time. No records broken this week I feel but I didn't stop which is a sort of victory to me.
Also dragged some nieces and nephew along so I am doing my bit.

An English couple started up a park run here in Canberra ... looks like fun.

#129 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

An English couple started up a park run here in Canberra ... looks like fun.

It is. It's ideal for anyone who fancies a go. ...no pointing and laughing at your terrible efforts! :)

#130 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

I'm Race Director at the Rother Valley Park Run tomorrow and then I've got the Nottingham Half Marathon on Sunday. Not sure I'm ready for either!

#131 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Several weeks of no running due to a bad back and my first parkrun for a while.
Still managed a pb too!

#132 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

I'm Race Director at the Rother Valley Park Run tomorrow and then I've got the Nottingham Half Marathon on Sunday. Not sure I'm ready for either!

Missed your post to say good luck, how did you get on??

#133 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

Missed your post to say good luck, how did you get on??

1 hr 58m - pleased to be under 2 hours given limited training due to injury and work. I was going well until 11.5 miles then I started to tighten up in my calves and knees so it was a bit of a slog over the last stretch.

Next one is in a month at Worksop. If my legs recover!

#134 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

Can some of our more betterer runners explain to me what it is that improves your endurance? (Ooh Mrs)

I know it happens because I can run a fair bit longer myself than 6 months ago but what exactly is it that allows you to do it? Leg muscle? Breathing? Heart rate?
Any scientists available?

#135 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

1 hr 58m - pleased to be under 2 hours given limited training due to injury and work. I was going well until 11.5 miles then I started to tighten up in my calves and knees so it was a bit of a slog over the last stretch.

Next one is in a month at Worksop. If my legs recover!

Great effort under two hours. I feel your pain, I certainly have forgotten mine.

Good luck with Worksop, you'll be fine

Can some of our more betterer runners explain to me what it is that improves your endurance? (Ooh Mrs)
I know it happens because I can run a fair bit longer myself than 6 months ago but what exactly is it that allows you to do it? Leg muscle? Breathing? Heart rate?

I can only offer what I've learnt over the past 6 months.

Hills, hills, sprints and running mixed distance regularly.... I just wish I put more effort into my training plan in August.

Distance in time helps the sore legs, hills help the stamina and sprinting improves the heart rate, especially at full speed, jog and back to full speed.

Try some spin classes or RPM they'll really help you get fit and improve your running.

#136 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

There are far more experienced peopple than me, this is just an anacdote.  I was training for  a half marathon and decided to walk back from the city centre to my flat.  I was casualy runningl 10kms about twice a week.  However,one day  when I went to walk home for just under two hours, I found my legs ached as I was not used to being on my feet that long.  I added long walks to my programme and found it helped.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#137 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

There are far more experienced peopple than me, this is just an anacdote.  I was training for  a half marathon and decided to walk back from the city centre to my flat.  I was casualy runningl 10kms about twice a week.  However,one day  when I went to walk home for just under two hours, I found my legs ached as I was not used to being on my feet that long.  I added long walks to my programme and found it helped.

Strangely enough, I have always walked a lot. I have just been unable to run for more than a minute without collapsing. Now I can run for a fair bit but struggle with endurance. As for acceleration....I have none!

#138 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

Strangely enough, I have always walked a lot. I have just been unable to run for more than a minute without collapsing. Now I can run for a fair bit but struggle with endurance. As for acceleration....I have none!

As a reasonable runner, acceleration is pointless when you are running a long distance IMO.  You do not overtake people, you just let them fall behind you with time.  Accelerating is a waste of energy, get to speed and stay there.

Though I might be telling myself that as I have almost as much acceleration as you do.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#139 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,394 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:27 AM

I'm not expert but I run a lot.  As a starter runner, to improve endurance run long slow runs and your legs will, hopefully, adapt..  every few weeks gradually increase the distance

Edited by Copa, 03 October 2013 - 05:29 AM.

#140 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

I'm not expert but I run a lot. As a starter runner, to improve endurance run long slow runs and your legs will, hopefully, adapt.. every few weeks gradually increase the distance

Thanks mate
This might sound odd but it's not my legs that want to give up but my breathing. I think I struggle to get a decent rhythm breathing wise (if that makes sense)

In my defence, I did have a collapsed lung years back and wonder if this is an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users