Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

5K run on a treadmill

Beginner

• Please log in to reply
504 replies to this topic

#141 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

Thanks mate
This might sound odd but it's not my legs that want to give up but my breathing. I think I struggle to get a decent rhythm breathing wise (if that makes sense)
In my defence, I did have a collapsed lung years back and wonder if this is an issue.

you may have to seek expert advice.

My mother is in her mid 60s has lung disease but she still runs all the time. On weekends she often does a run 25km to 30km long on rough bush tracks. She is training for a 50km ultra-marathon at the North Face event in the Blue Mountains. It's one of the toughest ultras around... If she can do this sort of thing then anybody without significant disability can do it also.

Just plan well and stay motivated.... And enjoy it! It's fun.

Edited by Copa, 03 October 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#142 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

you may have to seek expert advice.

My mother is in her mid 60s has lung disease but she still runs all the time. On weekends she often does a run 25km to 30km long on rough bush tracks. She is training for a 50km ultra-marathon at the North Face event in the Blue Mountains. It's one of the toughest ultras around... If she can do this sort of thing then anybody without significant disability can do it also.

Just plan well and stay motivated.... And enjoy it! It's fun.

Er....I will pass thanks!!

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#143 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

Er....I will pass thanks!!

lol... I meant if she can exercise anybody can exercise.... Not that everyone should run ultras..

#144 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Ran in the St. Helens 10k race last Sunday

New PB 45:50 , knocked 1 min 53 secs off my previous best.

Reading through the posts it's amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it.

The St. Helens 10k is a great occasion and the Steve Prescott foundation raised over £50,000

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 15 March 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#145 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

Started cycling in September after the cup.final. Use the bike most days for for 3 mile commute to work, try and take the long way round some days. Got 288 miles covered since September and 185 this year. Lost over 2.5 stone since September

#146 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Started cycling in September after the cup.final. Use the bike most days for for 3 mile commute to work, try and take the long way round some days. Got 288 miles covered since September and 185 this year. Lost over 2.5 stone since September

Fantastic, it's a great feeling losing weight and 2.5 stones is some effort, keep up the hard work.

#147 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

Fantastic, it's a great feeling losing weight and 2.5 stones is some effort, keep up the hard work.

Looking to lose another 3. Started at 21st and aiming for 15. Hoping to get out in the morning and ride close to 20 miles before breakfast

#148 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

Looking to lose another 3. Started at 21st and aiming for 15. Hoping to get out in the morning and ride close to 20 miles before breakfast

Fair play to you, back in 2004/5 I tipped the scales at just over 20 stone, I now hover between 12st 12 to 13st.

What's been your biggest success in losing weight so far??

Mine was portion control, then when I hit 14.5 st joined a gym and not looked back since, been a regular at the gym for nearly 2 years.

Keep it up and good luck.

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 16 March 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#149 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

Fair play to you, back in 2004/5 I tipped the scales at just over 20 stone, I now hover between 12st 12 to 13st.

What's been your biggest success in losing weight so far??

Mine was portion control, then when I hit 14.5 st joined a gym and not looked back since, been a regular at the gym for nearly 2 years.

Keep it up and good luck.

Portion size is definitely helping. Done my longest ride this morning at 19 miles in 90 mins. Hovering at.just over 18st for the last month and struggling to carry on.losing. Little despondency at the weather hasnt helped.

#150 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

Portion size is definitely helping. Done my longest ride this morning at 19 miles in 90 mins. Hovering at.just over 18st for the last month and struggling to carry on.losing. Little despondency at the weather hasnt helped.

Sometimes for a week or more you will have times you don't lose much, however keep on with it and the rewards will come.

Concur, the weather can be a real issue, keep smiling, keep focus, you WILL do it.

#151 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

Sometimes for a week or more you will have times you don't lose much, however keep on with it and the rewards will come.

Concur, the weather can be a real issue, keep smiling, keep focus, you WILL do it.

Headwinds made parts of today more of a grimace than a smile!

#152 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

I've held my weight at 11 and a half for 3 years now after losing 5 stone.

Yesterday I ran my fastest 5K park run at 22.48. I recently did a 30K in under 3 hours and will be doing a marathon later this year.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#153 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

I've held my weight at 11 and a half for 3 years now after losing 5 stone.

Yesterday I ran my fastest 5K park run at 22.48. I recently did a 30K in under 3 hours and will be doing a marathon later this year.

Great efforts, that is inspirational, amazing.

Maybe I need to up my game this year!!

2 x 10k's
2 x half marathons
1 x mud run

I think that'll do me

#154 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

I somehow managed to miss this thread - inspirational stuff, and timely since I'm starting running later today for the first time, well, ever. I have of course run before, but only when doing RL training, playing other sports. I've never run for the sake of running, aside from in P.E lessons at school, where I dreaded the darn cross country run we were periodically made to do. I still have nightmares about that!
Over Christmas, at the tail end of 2012, I decided - in a spur of the moment kind of comment - that I would get myself fit and lose weight. I'd not thought about it much up until that point, though deep down I knew it was something I had to do for my health. I've always been overweight - even when I was more active in my teens/early 20s - but I'd let it slip to a point where I was well over 20 stones (probably closer to 21 and a half/22) and basically lazy. I always used to enjoy sport and exercise but had got out of it. Of course, the longer you leave it and the bigger you get, the harder it becomes to start anything.

However, having made the commitment I couldn't put it off any longer. I took a two-pronged approach. Firstly, I changed what I was eating, and when. I cut out almost all dairy products (bar some natural yoghurt with granola and fruit in the morning), reduced my non complex carb intake in the evenings (I.E no potatoes, pasta, white rice etc) and massively reduced my fat intake. I started eating much more fish(grilled, baked or poached, not fried) and chicken. Oh, and lots more fruit and veg, of course.

At the same time, I started swimming three times a week. To begin with, it was extremely hard. In fact, when I first started I had to stop and have a breather after every four lengths. Within a month of doing this, I'd managed to extend it to 20 lengths without a break. I'd swim for half an hour, and see how many lengths I could get through. By the middle of February I was up to 30-odd without stopping, then later 40, then 50. I signed up for the charity Swimathon and did 1.5k last April. It took me 39 minutes for the 60 lengths, swimming breaststroke. That's not super-fast, but at the time I was chuffed.

Since then I've kept up the swimming and the changes to the diet (I prefer to call them lifestyle changes, as thinking of it as a diet is restrictive, plus if you change for good then it's no longer a diet). I'm not as hardcore as I was about the food side of things, but I'm still keen and apply the same principles, with some additional leeway at weekends.

All the way through the process I didn't weigh myself once, until I recently joined my local leisure centre (I should have done this when I first started swimming, as it's the same place I go for that) and they told me I had to go for an intro session at the gym. Amazingly, it turns out I've lost just over 6 stones since I started in January 2013. Obviously I knew I was getting smaller, as my waist size has shrunk by about 7 inches, but I didn't realise I'd lost that much!

At Christmas I decided to set myself a new goal: this year I'm going to compete in, and complete, a sprint distance triathlon (400m swim, 20k bike, 5k run). I've been writing for triathlon magazines for 5 years and have never done one, so it was about time I had a go. Hence signing up for the gym.

The swimming I've got covered - my times keep coming down - and the cycling doesn't worry me that much. I've been doing combined sessions at the gym - 45 minutes on the bike, followed by 500m swimming at a good tempo - but have largely steered clear of the treadmill, other than a fast walk to warm up. Try as I might I just can't run on a treadmill - it just doesn't seem natural. So, I'm going out on the road instead, and today will start the "couch to 5k" programme (I.E start with alternating between fast walking and running, build up the time and distances over 9 weeks etc), running up and down the Bristol to Bath cycle path which helpfully passes by the bottom of my road. I have ordered a smart racing bike, too, which should be built by the local triathlon shop by the weekend.

The triathlon is in July. Brilliantly, my brother and his wife are also doing it. He's told me we're going to start, finish, and go through the whole thing together, which since they're much fitter than me is a bit scary - better get myself up to scratch!

Oh, and I've also been roped into doing the Swimathon again, though this time as part of a charity relay team. Should come in handy for the training!
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#155 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Matt, try your local Parkrun

http://www.parkrun.o.../events/events/

Bristol has 3, and when you've registered you can run anywhere in the UK that is linked. Sheffield has loads (Hillsborough, Endcliffe, Graves, Manor, Concord). They're very friendly and aimed at all abilities, including people who mix running and walking. All your times are recorded online and it keeps you informed of PBs etc.

Times vary from 15 minutes to 50 minutes and there will always be someone who runs at the back in case you are near the end to make sure you are OK. At Rother Valley the finishing time of the last runner last week was 50 minutes.

If you go regularly you also get to meet loads of new people too.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#156 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

West Country Eagle

Really enjoyed your post, fantastic read and a remarkable turn around.

I brought the post back up as I feel others could benefit from it.

Some times it's the little changes in life which get the better results.

Being over weight is caused by many different factors in life, I regret some of my choices in life and bingeing on food and alcohol was a poor lifestyle.

I hope these posts, help and inspire others to make the right choice and become fitter, stronger and healthier.

#157 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

Started to lose weight since last April.  Hit the scales at 150.5Kgs (23.7 Stone).  To cut a story short, it obviously had a big impact on my life (if nothing else it prevented me doing and going to many places I wanted to).

Now weigh 118Kgs (18.6 Stone), but I actually haven't lost any since December, so a bit bummed out!  I know why, my exercise is less consistent and so is my diet.

I did it by using a Fitbit and combined it with MyFitnessPal.  The Fitbit records what calories I use and the MyFitnessPal records the calorie intake.  Both websites talk to each other and I get lots of graphs and data!

I am walking further (16 miles in the peaks the other week) and am feeling better.  The weird thing is, I see no difference in the mirror.  I think I look the same, I know I have lost weight as the scales say so, my clothes say so and family and friends say its obvious.  Yet I truly see no difference.  Weird thing this perception malarkey!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#158 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

Bedford - the mirror is a horrible thing, I used to get myself down until somebody told me it's a dangerous game, it plays mind games.

I wasn't sure what they meant, she told me to take pictures and then compare them, the mirror shows you want your head tells you.

Nice read and continue to post, I'm now obsessed in sharing my stories and trying to help others.

Some times you don't lose weight for days or weeks, this is when you really need to persevere and think about your long term objective....... Losing weight and you will do it mentality!!

I'd actually quit my job and be a personnel trainer or a speaker on lifestyle if it paid enough.

Good luck and keep posting

#159 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,334 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

This is one of my favourite threads.  It is very heartening.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#160 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

This is one of my favourite threads.  It is very heartening.

It would be great if it kept going and people could freely offer their experiences, tips and advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users