RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hunslet Hawks and Leeds Rhinos announce exciting new partnership

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#61 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

Oh how this made me laugh, initial postings had people like Macca in tears (at least he's found another use for his Kleenex), other Hawks(Whinos) posters who had deserted your forum all returned out of the closet to pour their hearts out, "the end is nigh" !!
Now they are all coming round to the idea, think they'll all look good in myrtle, flame, White, blue & yellow ! Classic.

In all truth as Gav Wilson states if you get what the Knights have had out of it over the years then it's a good way forward, just don't let your players attend any corporate events at Headingley !!

Bring on the Cup final, 2nd September at HS, moving my caravan there next week, think it will be a cracker !
Posted Image

#62 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

What on earth has this got to do with big al? So how does this improve our bank balance and how does it improve the attendances?

Because you'll be getting better players cheaper?

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights & Hunslet Hawks RLFC.

Official Player Sponsor of Danny Nicklas Ben Johnston for the 2013 season
alldesignandprint.co.uk

Linkedin

Twitter

#63 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

4 players?! Not quite mega bucks is it? And where do the fans come from? And another thing...where does the winning pay come from to pay for the rest of the squad with all the wins these boys are gonna help the team win?

#64 hunsok3

hunsok3
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

Listen,nobody hates the rhinos more than me,but lets get real here,we are struggling in all aspects of running an rl club,financial,crowds,on the pitch.To be brutally honest we have little choice,but to let this take its course and see where it takes us,we simply cant dismiss this out of hand.To put it plainly our club is ours and it must survive,that is paramount in every supporterst minds,as much as it pains me,we have no choice but to go with it,,,SO WE SHALL AGAIN

#65 myrtleflamewhite

myrtleflamewhite
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

yes why has this been agreed without hist asking its members

i have not this year paid my membership

so really i had no vote, but all the others who have paid will want to ask why no meeting to ask the members view

hist members pay and all members receive 1 vote

so my question stands

Read the posts it's obvious why, because the irrational views of the majority would have kiboched the plan at birth. It's time us supporters got real and realised "we need help" if we are to survive these tentative years under an inexperienced board. They are learning as they go along.Do any of you out there think you can do better? you now what to do if you do!
Would it have made a difference if the help came from Wakey or Cas or Hull? As it happens it's come from one of the most successful teams in recent years, they must be doing something right. Even if it doesn't work out in the long run it will give the board some inside knowledge that we can benifit from, especially on the media & marketing side.

#66 The Mascot

The Mascot
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Have to say this has hit me with mixed emotion - As a child I was always told to set my sights high and play at the best level you can, I only ever wanted to play at Hunslet and despite a few run outs at Huddersfield first team (had the privileged of playing with one of the best ball handling props unseen in todays game Brendan White also ex leeds) under ex Hunslet Hooker Franny Jarvis and then a regular Bradord Northern Academy and A team player again under Franny I wasn't good enough to play at Hunslet and tbh broke my heart - but I could never have played for Leeds no matter (not saying I was ever in the class or mold of Lowe, Maskill)

See my family was (and I say was but will come back to that later) Hunslet through and through and you were only ever Hunslet first and forgiven for second choice teams, I was brought up with rugby, was in my blood and no matter living in Batley (8 miles away from Hunslet but thought of as another world as far as my nanna and Grandad were concerned ) Hunslet was how it was - BUT if you ever spoke of joining Leeds you might as well sell your soul to the devil - see the likes of Creaser and Heron were all Hunslet boys and took the Blue and Gold Shilling yet the likes of Graham King remained Hunslet through and through but Hunslet was a hot bed for young locally grown Talent and the draw was more joining the Leeds Journey men and mercenaries and could you hold your head high if you ventured across the water.

See even through the 80's and early 90's (unless my vision was myrtle white and flame tinted) we seemed to be able to attract local talent and slightly off local in the likes of Kelvin Skerret ( I know a lot to do with Kelvin was his uncle Trevor) and hold our own and be proud still to be Hunslet - My Sis recalls some very heated and often brawls in the punch clock with loiner players (deemed glory hunting has been's - or was that just crasher crooks lol) but all willing to go toe to toe proud to be and all part of a very close hunslet playing family.

Hunslet had heritage however we have in our time had our own fair share of journey men and has beens or Aussies coming for the last pay day - So whats changed.

In my opinion as many small inner city suburbs have lost their identity - how many kids today could tell you anything about Hunslets Hermitage not just about its rugby club but its engineering back ground (claytons for instance) or its Proud building of steam locomotives - I don't know the details its just what i was brought up with and what my family told me and what the older generation of my family recalled.

I have stories of the goldthorpes having the butchers on the parade by the grey goose, a certain player who served national service but played for Hunslet every weekend and scored in every game, a player that worked in the pits but ran home from work jumping the privet fences between the terraces - Thighs like tree's !!! - are these facts or just legendary tales I don't know but in my mind they are proud Hunslet facts.

But Hunslet (the area) has changed - we have a massive non British community whom have no sense of British heritage beyond them coming here (and before anyone says anything that's not a racist comment but an observation) and I would be staggered if anyone on Windmill road/ on the circus or on the brooms below the age of 25 could tell you anything about our proud club.

I have family who still live local, dewsbury Rd, Brooms, Park View etc and non of them go watch hunslet anymore - why........... its no longer a community in which they can relate to and rugby is no longer something that's to be proud of, no longer an Identity - If anything its just there take it or leave it watch it when you want or catch it on Sky.

So whats the answer - I am not sure, if the RFL deem Leeds Rhinos as a success, then what is the parameter as their fan base hasn't grown over the last 15 years or indeed the crowds - However in a City the size of Leeds they are the most Marketable Brand around BUT by Far a success story.

However what is clear is Hunslet cannot sustain an Identity that no longer relates to the majority of its catchment area/ target audience- So do we try and attract rugby fans to South Leeds or hold on to the heritage or Ghosts of past glory, my Mum now 72 recalls how thousands of fans all walked, caught the tram etc to the old Parkside ground - the old back to backs on jack lane were ghost towns when Hunslet were at home but that was 50/60 odd years ago

Going back to my opening statement am absolutely torn - am Hunslet born and Bred and hold images of past glory but when you get under the skin its exactly that the past and most of it is in black and white or memories past from an older generation who the majority are no longer with us.

The king is dead long live the king

#67 myrtleflamewhite

myrtleflamewhite
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

Have to say this has hit me with mixed emotion - As a child I was always told to set my sights high and play at the best level you can, I only ever wanted to play at Hunslet and despite a few run outs at Huddersfield first team (had the privileged of playing with one of the best ball handling props unseen in todays game Brendan White also ex leeds) under ex Hunslet Hooker Franny Jarvis and then a regular Bradord Northern Academy and A team player again under Franny I wasn't good enough to play at Hunslet and tbh broke my heart - but I could never have played for Leeds no matter (not saying I was ever in the class or mold of Lowe, Maskill)

See my family was (and I say was but will come back to that later) Hunslet through and through and you were only ever Hunslet first and forgiven for second choice teams, I was brought up with rugby, was in my blood and no matter living in Batley (8 miles away from Hunslet but thought of as another world as far as my nanna and Grandad were concerned ) Hunslet was how it was - BUT if you ever spoke of joining Leeds you might as well sell your soul to the devil - see the likes of Creaser and Heron were all Hunslet boys and took the Blue and Gold Shilling yet the likes of Graham King remained Hunslet through and through but Hunslet was a hot bed for young locally grown Talent and the draw was more joining the Leeds Journey men and mercenaries and could you hold your head high if you ventured across the water.

See even through the 80's and early 90's (unless my vision was myrtle white and flame tinted) we seemed to be able to attract local talent and slightly off local in the likes of Kelvin Skerret ( I know a lot to do with Kelvin was his uncle Trevor) and hold our own and be proud still to be Hunslet - My Sis recalls some very heated and often brawls in the punch clock with loiner players (deemed glory hunting has been's - or was that just crasher crooks lol) but all willing to go toe to toe proud to be and all part of a very close hunslet playing family.

Hunslet had heritage however we have in our time had our own fair share of journey men and has beens or Aussies coming for the last pay day - So whats changed.

In my opinion as many small inner city suburbs have lost their identity - how many kids today could tell you anything about Hunslets Hermitage not just about its rugby club but its engineering back ground (claytons for instance) or its Proud building of steam locomotives - I don't know the details its just what i was brought up with and what my family told me and what the older generation of my family recalled.

I have stories of the goldthorpes having the butchers on the parade by the grey goose, a certain player who served national service but played for Hunslet every weekend and scored in every game, a player that worked in the pits but ran home from work jumping the privet fences between the terraces - Thighs like tree's !!! - are these facts or just legendary tales I don't know but in my mind they are proud Hunslet facts.

But Hunslet (the area) has changed - we have a massive non British community whom have no sense of British heritage beyond them coming here (and before anyone says anything that's not a racist comment but an observation) and I would be staggered if anyone on Windmill road/ on the circus or on the brooms below the age of 25 could tell you anything about our proud club.

I have family who still live local, dewsbury Rd, Brooms, Park View etc and non of them go watch hunslet anymore - why........... its no longer a community in which they can relate to and rugby is no longer something that's to be proud of, no longer an Identity - If anything its just there take it or leave it watch it when you want or catch it on Sky.

So whats the answer - I am not sure, if the RFL deem Leeds Rhinos as a success, then what is the parameter as their fan base hasn't grown over the last 15 years or indeed the crowds - However in a City the size of Leeds they are the most Marketable Brand around BUT by Far a success story.

However what is clear is Hunslet cannot sustain an Identity that no longer relates to the majority of its catchment area/ target audience- So do we try and attract rugby fans to South Leeds or hold on to the heritage or Ghosts of past glory, my Mum now 72 recalls how thousands of fans all walked, caught the tram etc to the old Parkside ground - the old back to backs on jack lane were ghost towns when Hunslet were at home but that was 50/60 odd years ago

Going back to my opening statement am absolutely torn - am Hunslet born and Bred and hold images of past glory but when you get under the skin its exactly that the past and most of it is in black and white or memories past from an older generation who the majority are no longer with us.

...so what are you saying?

#68 The Mascot

The Mascot
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

"So whats the answer - I am not sure"

and

"Going back to my opening statement am absolutely torn - am Hunslet born and Bred and hold images of past glory but when you get under the skin its exactly that the past and most of it is in black and white or memories past from an older generation who the majority are no longer with us"

Does that Help MFW ?

#69 myrtleflamewhite

myrtleflamewhite
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

"So whats the answer - I am not sure"

and

"Going back to my opening statement am absolutely torn - am Hunslet born and Bred and hold images of past glory but when you get under the skin its exactly that the past and most of it is in black and white or memories past from an older generation who the majority are no longer with us"

Does that Help MFW ?

I was only pulling your leg. Well done for not ranting at my reply.
The only comment I can make is we need to try ANYTHING to survive and if it means supping with the devil to do that I'm for it, I have a long spoon!

#70 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

Perhaps this deal isn't as bad as Hunslet fans think. As a traditionalist (and a fervent Leeds hater) I feel bad that a club like Hunslet has had to resort to such a partnership, but it's no different to what most Championship clubs get up to every season - this is just a bit more public. Batley have taken players from Castleford, Hull KR and Wakefield this season. Just sounds like a glorified dual-reg deal with a bit of marketing expertise thrown in. It doesn't sound like the death of RL in Hunslet to me ...

#71 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

Am I doing cartwheels, no. But...

If you do the same old things you'll get the same old results. I think the board should be applauded for showing some initiative and at least trying something different. In the absence of our much talked about millionaires what are the alternatives?

I'll still be bitter and twisted about them. That's my right as a fan and rivalaries are what sport is all about, but as soon as a player crosses the white line wearing the famous myrtle, white and flame - he's ours and should get 100% support.

I suspect we'll get more out of this than them so in reality "they're just OUR feeder club".

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#72 rodleydragons

rodleydragons
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

i for one do not agree with this in any shape or form and will go to york away as i have promised my lads i will go but after that i will have to decide if im gonna travel each week to games.cant see how its going to attract anymore supporters to the games.i think you will find some supporters staying away.the hist board need to put a full statement out sharpish.hetherington is bad news and those that think he is a great saviour need help.in 1999 he voted against hunslet going into super league and started the down spiral of our great club and now all of a sudden he wants to help us.yeah right.hate him more than the rhino's themselves and dont really want anything to do with the man.

#73 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

Despite my joking on previous posts I read this thread with great interest and it really makes you think about our game with it's history and heritage, the really concerning thing is, has it really got a future ? and this affects more places than just Hunslet. I don't know the answer asmto how to attract the younger fans, not only is it a matter of competing against other sports, there are many other things for young kids these days including technology such as X-boxes and computers that seem to be far more attractive than stood watching rugby. At the Knights we used to have a large number of regular young fans from 4-15, there was a young Knights members and forum, now there are hardly any at all. If the RL really want anything other than Super League then they really need to come up with a smart marketing /re-launch of the game as a whole.
Posted Image

#74 Penola

Penola
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

I'll never support Leeds but I see some sense in this. All I can hope to see with Hunslet these days is for us to have the ability to challenge in the top half of our league, not be concerned with relegation and have 800 - 1000 turning up each week. Unless a big backer comes in this won't happen. So let's have a few potential Super League players playing for us without having to put ourselves in debt getting hold of them. As long as we are wearing Myrtle White and Flame we are Huns and always will be

#75 rodleydragons

rodleydragons
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

maybe me but i really cant see why the crowds are going to increase.we won championship 1 a few years ago and the crowds didnt increase then so why will this make them increase.

#76 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

maybe me but i really cant see why the crowds are going to increase.we won championship 1 a few years ago and the crowds didnt increase then so why will this make them increase.

The following season we were getting beat every week in the championship. It's probably for another day/thread but have we ever been able to follow a successful season with a half decent one. Going back to when we yo yo'd between the 2nd and 1st divisions in the 70/80s promotion was always followed by relegation. Not ideal for building a fan base.

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#77 myrtleflamewhite

myrtleflamewhite
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

No one is saying that due to this deal the crowds will flood back. Everyone is loosing sight of what this deal purports to do and that is to give us a fighting chance against the odds. We have no money to buy quality players to improve the team we have no proven success in marketing or even running a reletively successful club. If we can have some fit fairly skilled young players at our disposal, in key positions and elevate our standing in the community, THEN we may harvest something for the future.

#78 Penola

Penola
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

No one is saying that due to this deal the crowds will flood back. Everyone is loosing sight of what this deal purports to do and that is to give us a fighting chance against the odds. We have no money to buy quality players to improve the team we have no proven success in marketing or even running a reletively successful club. If we can have some fit fairly skilled young players at our disposal, in key positions and elevate our standing in the community, THEN we may harvest something for the future.

Well said

#79 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

Absolutely.
Posted Image

#80 HK Hawk

HK Hawk
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

The club have been trying to do this for years so whether it's HIST, the previous BOD or a new BOD it is likely to have happened anyway. The only reason we couldn't achieve it before was because of the clubs professionalism (or lack of it). Why would you send some of your best young players to a club which classes playing 5 a side football as training then heads to the chippy afterwards! We are probably the only club in the league which doesn't use the dual reg system which puts as at a massive disadvantage. I don't agree with the system but it's there and it would take a foolish person to not take advantage of it.

If we do get 3, 4 or 5 players (as has been suggested) for nowt then it will save us ten of thousands a year. That is cash that can be used for players elsewhere in the squad and already puts us at an advantage compared with this season (assuming the budget is the same).

I can't say I'm 100% happy with it and the words 'twin' and 'partnership' don't sit all too comfortably with me but, as has been said previously, let's see what happens before people start sounding the death knell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users