Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hunslet Hawks and Leeds Rhinos announce exciting new partnership

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#141 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

If hetherington's master plan is to finish us off then those fans staying away are playing right into his hands.

I suspect what Leeds are getting from this is a saving on the cost of running a second team. The real losers are the poor folk who are now out of work.

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#142 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hetherington has wanted Championship clubs to become feeder clubs for SL for several years and each time it has been knocked back. This time however the SL clubs have already discussed it and they are now in favour of SL linking up with a Championship club. The clubs in the Championships have not yet even discussed it and don't meet until some date in September, so why did Hunslet not wait until that meeting before agreeing to anything to do with this subject?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#143 HK Hawk

HK Hawk
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:07 AM

Keith T,

Hetherington has wanted Championship clubs to become feeder clubs for SL for several years and each time it has been knocked back. This time however the SL clubs have already discussed it and they are now in favour of SL linking up with a Championship club. The clubs in the Championships have not yet even discussed it and don't meet until some date in September, so why did Hunslet not wait until that meeting before agreeing to anything to do with this subject?

We're not the first club to announce links with an SL club for dual reg players; in fact we're probably one of the last! York and Hull / Cas, Batley and Huddersfield, Leigh and Saints, Dewsbury and Bradford, Skolars and Broncos, Whitehaven and Leeds, etc. There are probably others too (official and unofficial). Some of the links may no longer exist but hopefully you see my point; in the last 2-3 years there have been many.

As far as I understand, the deal we have is no different to any of these so I don't see why it would need to be discussed with any other club. If it had been raised prior to us agreeing, we would have alerted other clubs about an opportunity to get good players on season long loans for nothing...which wouldn't be the wisest thing to do.

#144 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 876 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:16 AM

Been "off the case" for the last 36 hours or so - but it sounds like a little commonsense is finally starting to win the day as we all wait to see what's revealed in the fine details.

But whatever does come out in the initial agreement, I can only echo the fears of some posters with respect to "Mission Creep" in the years ahead, if the deal does turn into a long term one.

#145 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

thanks for the info so far blackpool. i wouldn't really care who the deal is with i personally dont approve of the dual reg system 1 bit but whilst its there i suppose begrudgingly that we must take advantage of it.not really fussed that its leeds the main problem i have with all this is gary hetherington been involved.i appreciate what you say blackpool that we have nothing he wants but neither did bramley and look what happened to them,we werent ever gonna threaten leeds in super league but he voted against us.all of a sudden he wants to help well sorry i for 1 think he will get something from it somehwere cos that man does nothing for nowt,i really hope in a years time i am typing an apology that i was wrong.this i repeat is my own feelings on the guy because during a debate on facebook about it i was frankly told by somebody if we dont like it then dont bother coming to the games.well i can assure you i know of 10 people already and 7 of them season ticket holders that are thinking of not coming anymore.good luck

Kev i cant comment on anyone telling people "If you dont like then dont bother coming" because that is frankly the last thing we want, and who ever is saying that is wrong to do so, we want all our supporters to back us on this! People wont like it because its Leeds and that's understandable, but all il say to you and the supporters who are saying there not coming again is wait until you know that FACTS of what this about and make a rational decision based on if you think that this partnership IS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF HUNSLET RLFC.

The only thing Leeds and Gary get from us is a chance to play 4 players who are above the age of 21 but are not in the Leeds squad at Hunslet Hawks, and we get 4 quality players added to our team.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#146 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

thanks for the info so far blackpool. i wouldn't really care who the deal is with i personally dont approve of the dual reg system 1 bit but whilst its there i suppose begrudgingly that we must take advantage of it.not really fussed that its leeds the main problem i have with all this is gary hetherington been involved.i appreciate what you say blackpool that we have nothing he wants but neither did bramley and look what happened to them,we werent ever gonna threaten leeds in super league but he voted against us.all of a sudden he wants to help well sorry i for 1 think he will get something from it somehwere cos that man does nothing for nowt,i really hope in a years time i am typing an apology that i was wrong.this i repeat is my own feelings on the guy because during a debate on facebook about it i was frankly told by somebody if we dont like it then dont bother coming to the games.well i can assure you i know of 10 people already and 7 of them season ticket holders that are thinking of not coming anymore.good luck

Some good comments there Rodley,i'm not to keen on Hetherington and his dealings.......The Harris saga for one,takes Bradford to court,wins lots of money,and when there going under he's the big white knight who gives em the gate money back and then wants to help em........

#147 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Is it just the Leeds/Hunslet thing ? --- would there have been the same reaction if we had announced a partnership with Castleford or Wakefield ?
It must be a media managers dream-- Blackpool should be enjoying himself ..--- I say get next years season tickets on sale now £50/£25 if bought before 31st December.
Whats going to happen to the rest of the Rhinos players that have become "spare"-- will they be spread out between the rest of the Championship teams ?
Someone asked why didn't Hunslet wait until the next meeting of Championship clubs in September-- WHY?-- what have these meetings achieved-- next season will still see Featherstone and Halifax spending money to finish in the top two, but without a chance of going anywhere.
It should not be overlooked that even including the 4 Rhinos at the moment Hunslet will still be about 10 players short of a competitive squad-- the Hunslet fans are fed up of seeing us shipping try after try this season without our coaching team unable to do anything about it.

#148 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

Is it just the Leeds/Hunslet thing ? --- would there have been the same reaction if we had announced a partnership with Castleford or Wakefield ?
It must be a media managers dream-- Blackpool should be enjoying himself ..--- I say get next years season tickets on sale now £50/£25 if bought before 31st December.
Whats going to happen to the rest of the Rhinos players that have become "spare"-- will they be spread out between the rest of the Championship teams ?
Someone asked why didn't Hunslet wait until the next meeting of Championship clubs in September-- WHY?-- what have these meetings achieved-- next season will still see Featherstone and Halifax spending money to finish in the top two, but without a chance of going anywhere.
It should not be overlooked that even including the 4 Rhinos at the moment Hunslet will still be about 10 players short of a competitive squad-- the Hunslet fans are fed up of seeing us shipping try after try this season without our coaching team unable to do anything about it.

The only thing is Frisky with what money HIST have, do you think you could do better if you were in a recruitment role,i know in the past players have gone elsewhere for £10 more and the issue with the meeting Red Hall will do what they want and not what Championship clubs want..........

#149 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

My personal opinion is No Frisky, it would have been probably seen as great move by the club.

I wouldn't say its a dream as some off the things ive had to read over the past few days has been disappointing, when people dont know the facts, but i do understand people concerns to a certain extent. We were on SKY SPORTS though :)

10 players short? think that's a bit of an exaggeration, A fit Grimshaw at 6, 4 quality super league players in key positions and possibly some new signings on there way, i think we will be able to compete far more than this season.

And i agree the Hunslet supporters are fed up of us losing every week as am i, hence why we are trying to get 4 dual reg players on season long loans for next season to help improve results, but it seems that's making Hunslet supporters fed up too.

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#150 morley-hawk

morley-hawk
  • Coach
  • 506 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

That was me that said that on Facebook & apologies for it. I've posted again which hopefully better explains my point of view, heat of the moment & all that.

The way I see this (before reading the updated statement) is that it can only benefit the club. I have full trust in the people running the show & feel safe in the knowledge that they would not do anything to risk the future of our great club. Like I said apologies for the rash statement on Facebook, of course we don't need anymore people staying away from the club!

#151 Hawksnest

Hawksnest
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

I think personnely from a Hunslet supporter for many years a BIG Congratulations to ALL at the club who have put a lot of hard work and commitment into keeping OUR good club affloat this season.

Its ok moaning over the Rhino's but i personnely think we will be able to play for a play off spot next season there was a good feeling at the club before all this rhino stuff went on.

Just a few examples new merchandise in the club shop, Phoenix bar being revamped, More sponsorship, Harry the hawk playing a better part with the kids, also the new lifeline which at the meeting will give us more revenue. You lot who are moaning don't seem to appreciate all this HARD WORK and its done by LOYAL supporters

So likes of Gaz AND Kev and John PLEASE look at all the hard work?
If you put all the effort into the club as you do on the negative postings we would be millionaries so come on more positivy.

Soory about the spelling on my Lunch Brake

#152 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

My personal opinion is No Frisky, it would have been probably seen as great move by the club.

I wouldn't say its a dream as some off the things ive had to read over the past few days has been disappointing, when people dont know the facts, but i do understand people concerns to a certain extent. We were on SKY SPORTS though :)

10 players short? think that's a bit of an exaggeration, A fit Grimshaw at 6, 4 quality super league players in key positions and possibly some new signings on there way, i think we will be able to compete far more than this season.

And i agree the Hunslet supporters are fed up of us losing every week as am i, hence why we are trying to get 4 dual reg players on season long loans for next season to help improve results, but it seems that's making Hunslet supporters fed up too.

We've used 35 players this season. I was working on a squad of 26/28 for next year--- some come, some go.

#153 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

will still be about 10 players short of a competitive squad

That to me Frisky means you were suggesting we are 10 players short in terms of QUALITY not QUANTITY to make us competitive? i must have misunderstood.

I was working on a squad of 26/28 for next year--- some come, some go

24 Hunslet players + 4 Leeds Rhinos players = 28 = No Ones Second Team = STILL Hunslet Hawks RLFC

#154 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 750 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

There is sometimes a lot of bile printed on here, especially regarding Leeds. It doesn't do the club any good at all and possibly drives potential spectators away. In the past, although Leeds and Hunslet rivalry was fierce, it never degenerated into slanging matches and both sets of directors were friendly to each other and tried to help the other side. Let's have rivalry, but friendly rivalry please.
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#155 james cunny

james cunny

maximus aurelius

• Coach
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

I think personnely from a Hunslet supporter for many years a BIG Congratulations to ALL at the club who have put a lot of hard work and commitment into keeping OUR good club affloat this season.

Its ok moaning over the Rhino's but i personnely think we will be able to play for a play off spot next season there was a good feeling at the club before all this rhino stuff went on.

Just a few examples new merchandise in the club shop, Phoenix bar being revamped, More sponsorship, Harry the hawk playing a better part with the kids, also the new lifeline which at the meeting will give us more revenue. You lot who are moaning don't seem to appreciate all this HARD WORK and its done by LOYAL supporters

So likes of Gaz AND Kev and John PLEASE look at all the hard work?
If you put all the effort into the club as you do on the negative postings we would be millionaries so come on more positivy.

Soory about the spelling on my Lunch Brake

Amen the people in charge of Hist are as Hunslet as they come if they all think it is a good step forward for the club then I'm willing to stand behind it there is no way would they put the club at risk or allow us to cease to exist no one knows how it will work out just think it is a good idea to see how it goes before dismissing it
Hunslet Hawks Champions 2010

#156 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Amen the people in charge of Hist are as Hunslet as they come if they all think it is a good step forward for the club then I'm willing to stand behind it there is no way would they put the club at risk or allow us to cease to exist no one knows how it will work out just think it is a good idea to see how it goes before dismissing it

At least it has brought everyone on this forum closer together and some great comments and opinions for once roll on next season even if its just to see grimmer doing the buisness again lol.
chappy

#157 rodleydragons

rodleydragons
  • Coach
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

apology accepted morley hawk.up the hawks

#158 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

I hope this move turns out to be beneficial for the Hawks!!

As a passionate Leeds Rhinos and Hunslet Hawks fan I hope this is just the start for Hawks and that we can now look to the future with positivity and success after a season of disappointment.

I can't wait for what next season has in store, not before York away obviously!!!

Funnily enough myself and 3 mates are all going to York game next Sunday, and we are all Rhinos fans (gasp)......... but will be shouting from the standing for the mighty Hawks don't worry lol!!! :rolleyes:

#159 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

I hope this move turns out to be beneficial for the Hawks!!

As a passionate Leeds Rhinos and Hunslet Hawks fan I hope this is just the start for Hawks and that we can now look to the future with positivity and success after a season of disappointment.

I can't wait for what next season has in store, not before York away obviously!!!

Funnily enough myself and 3 mates are all going to York game next Sunday, and we are all Rhinos fans (gasp)......... but will be shouting from the standing for the mighty Hawks don't worry lol!!! :rolleyes:

Great stuff if only another 1000 people would do the same thing next season what an atmosphere that would create at the home games good on ya and more of the same :rolleyes:
chappy

#160 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

I,ll second that col
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users