Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tour de France cyclists

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,854 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but I have been puzzled by the similarity between Lance Armstrong and an athlete from years ago, Lasse Viren. (Sorry if the spelling is wrong) Viren seemed to do very little of note between big competitions, then, come the World/European/Olympic Games, he turns up and is way better than all the other runners, especially in the late stages of a race. Armstrong also seemed to do very little of note between Tours, but was untouchable every July. I remember there was talk of Viren using his own blood in transfusions (blood doping?), but I don't think anything was proven or any action taken. The similarity is just so striking.

PS. I know LA, and probably LV, didn't do nothing between comps, just nothing of note.

I've read up a ittle about this, and there were rumours of doping, but nothing ever came of it. Obviously, detection techniques have come on a long way since Viren's day, but doping* was not illegal at the time.

*which is a different technique to the modern version of 'doping'. Back in the day, it involved taking and storing blood, then transfusing it back into the body. These days, synthetic erythropoietin (E.P.O.) is injected, which has the same effect with much less faffing about.

Edited by Futtocks, 29 August 2012 - 12:54 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#62 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

http://www.sportssci...ts-and.html?m=1

Thanks for that. A very interesting read.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#63 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

And I will be very surprised if it does go to court.

Why would that be do you think?

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#64 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

Why would that be do you think?

Bruyneel and the other guy will duck out along the Armstrong lines

But i think they'll release the evidence anyway

edit: if you're on twitter i recommend following the sports science guys, theraceradio, inrrng and shane stokes. incidentally i think these are the guys who Wiggo was calling nasty names but they seem to have been proved to be right and i think Wiggo got that wrong

Edited by Mister C, 29 August 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#65 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

I've read up a ittle about this, and there were rumours of doping, but nothing ever came of it. Obviously, detection techniques have come on a long way since Viren's day, but doping* was not illegal at the time.

*which is a different technique to the modern version of 'doping'. Back in the day, it involved taking and storing blood, then transfusing it back into the body. These days, synthetic erythropoietin (E.P.O.) is injected, which has the same effect with much less faffing about.

I think the allegations are that they do transfuse blood still as one of the methods for catching them is to look for the presence of the plasticisers of the blood bag in the sample.

One of the methods i've read about is that certain cyclists train with all kinds of drugs in their blood then store this oxygen rich blood for it to be transfused during a race. The timings need to be right for this as if not done at the right time traces of the drug, for example clenbuterol, can be present in small amounts during an event when athletes are more likely to be tested

i also think that this is one of Landis allegations. That Armstrong had a bus set up for transfusions whilst they were supposed to be on training rides!

#66 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,677 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

Its all very unsatisfactory. Long years of following professional road racing - but never being fast enough to catch the buggers - has taught me that it would be hard to find a more awkward, devious and difficult bunch of people. I just don't know who to believe, who to trust.

#67 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

Bruyneel and the other guy will duck out along the Armstrong lines

But i think they'll release the evidence anyway

edit: if you're on twitter i recommend following the sports science guys, theraceradio, inrrng and shane stokes. incidentally i think these are the guys who Wiggo was calling nasty names but they seem to have been proved to be right and i think Wiggo got that wrong

I thought that was probably what you were driving at. I hope it doesn't happen but it wouldn't surprise me if you were right.

#68 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

http://www.scribd.co...asoned-Decision
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#69 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

Lots of big name cyclists will be having a bad nights sleep. Plenty of people who thought they were in the clear...

#70 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 697 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

That report is completely damning and leaves no room for doubt that the man who once claimed seven Tour titles is possibly the greatest sports cheat ever.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#71 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,677 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

the ###### has well and truly hit the fan, Saville style, the only difference being that Armstrong is alive. He did great things for cycling and for charity too, but now the weight of testimony and circumstantial evidence is overwhelming, just like for Saviile. And just like the MPs who did so much good for their constituents at the same time as cheating on expenses. What the ###### is wrong with everyone?

#72 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

the ###### has well and truly hit the fan, Saville style, the only difference being that Armstrong is alive. He did great things for cycling and for charity too, but now the weight of testimony and circumstantial evidence is overwhelming, just like for Saviile. And just like the MPs who did so much good for their constituents at the same time as cheating on expenses. What the ###### is wrong with everyone?

£££££££££

#73 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

A liar, a bully, a cheat ...

If you believe otherwise you're deluded: http://espn.go.com/e...e-whether-doped
- Severus, July 2012

#74 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'm reading his first autobiography 'Its not about bike' and he comes across in that as a bit of a bully and a win at all costs person.

http://youtu.be/MIl5RxhLZ5U
Fides invicta triumphat

#75 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

You'd have to have your head planted firmly up your backside to believe otherwise.

I'm not shocked by the revelation he cheated but I'm taken aback by the scale of the deception and the associated evidence.

#76 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Its been obvious for a few years. Armstrong can live in his fantasy world but the evidence is there. How come all his challenges have been caught doping in some way yet he who was even further infront of them be so clean? The way he has abused his position and his arrogance and not showing any remorse makes it even worse. Theres reports that his Ex wife was heavily involved alongside friends etc. Seems there is no end to the lengths he went to cheat

#77 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

First hand interviews about what happened, the pressure and how the entire tour was a chemical festival

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gs_Dirty_Truth/
- Severus, July 2012

#78 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1188512 Armstrong is a disgrace and the way he has acted should be in jail hopefully. he has convinced himself so much that he cant see the lie. Threatening people, bribery etc surely deserves a jail sentence if the evidence is there. The UCI president McQuaid is a very dodgy charactor himself and also thinks he can do what he wants. He raced in S. Africa in the 70s under a different name but got caught. The UCI needs sorting not just the riders

#79 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

Armstrong stripped of TDF titles

http://edition.cnn.c...ong-controversy
Fides invicta triumphat

#80 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

There was no way Armstrong could win the USADA case. they had no evidence and were just basing the whole thing on rumour and innuendo. it was pretty much a done deal that they would find him guilty. The simple fact is that he has never failed a drugs test, and there is no hard evidence to show that he has ever taken drugs.

He's still never failed a drugs test, but at least he's told Oprah that he's *sniff* y'know *sniff* kinda *sniff* sorry ...
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users