Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tour de France cyclists

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,049 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Armstrong stripped of TDF titles

http://edition.cnn.c...ong-controversy

And now his Olympic medal, too.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#82 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,521 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

I watched the interview and got the impression that it was all procedural and had been rehearsed in response to pre-submitted questions.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#83 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

But the thing is the winners of the TdF from 96-2010 (with one exception) have been stripped of their title because of drug misuse. This means they have all been at it, therefore the winner has been the one that has used drugs the best. They were all at it, so the best cyclist (on drugs) won.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#84 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

But the thing is the winners of the TdF from 96-2010 (with one exception) have been stripped of their title because of drug misuse. This means they have all been at it, therefore the winner has been the one that has used drugs the best. They were all at it, so the best cyclist (on drugs) won.

Not entirely true, drugs have different effect on different people so the person who responded the best to the drugs won.

If you had a natural stamina etc you were at a massive disadvantage since drugs would not improve your performance by much. Whereas less naturally gifted people would experience massive improvements in performance that would alow them to compete.

This is bigger than Lance it goes to the heart of the UCI, at the time you mention. Unfortunately this will never come out.

#85 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,521 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

In his interview, Armstrong claimed he gave a considerable sum of money to the UCI to help fund its drug-testing programme. He reckoned the gift was for altruistic reasons, and was not "hush money".

Is he telling the truth? .... The trouble is that no-one knows for sure that whatever he says is true, or, even if it is, whether it is only partially true.

In the interview, he admitted to having previously (presumably publicly) called Betsy Andreu ... wife of team-mate Frankie Andreu, who had sworn that he had used EPO ... as a "crazy #####". However, he was keen to point out that he had never called her "fat" as that would have been totally disrespectful.

He lives by his own code, and will continue to do so. I'm sure somebody must like him, but I wouldn't know who, why or how.

#86 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

I have no doubt Armstrong would've won the TDF had none of the peleton been doping. Probably not seven on the trot but he is a superb athlete. However, I hope he never gets a chance to compete in any sport. He has done untold damage to cycling and to others careers and dreams (cf. Nicole Cooks interviews this week).
Fides invicta triumphat

#87 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

I have no doubt Armstrong would've won the TDF had none of the peleton been doping. Probably not seven on the trot but he is a superb athlete. However, I hope he never gets a chance to compete in any sport. He has done untold damage to cycling and to others careers and dreams (cf. Nicole Cooks interviews this week).

I agree it wasn't just the fact that he doped it was the aggressive pursuit of anybody who dared to break ranks.

#88 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

I agree it wasn't just the fact that he doped it was the aggressive pursuit of anybody who dared to break ranks.

I think it's that culture of bullying which makes this stand out.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#89 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,023 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Somebody on Twitter wrote...

"Lance Armstrong ought to be commended for winning the Tour De France after taking drugs, I tried cycling home once after doing the same and ended up falling into a canal"

RyanBailey_2640424.jpg

"Nobody told me there were two teams called Rovers, I thought I'd signed for Fev..."

#90 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,521 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Interesting insight into LA.

http://www.mirror.co...oreilly-1546628

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users