Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The TV Thread

• Please log in to reply
1020 replies to this topic

#261 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Don't know what you are talking about *innocent face* :rolleyes:

Fair enough :D

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#262 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

I'm finally getting around to Breaking Bad.  Watched the first series over the weekend.  Unfortunately, I have to work today or I'd be on the 2nd series already.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#263 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Watching the Bollywood versikn of Carmen on BBC 3 live from Bradford. Pretty good I reckon.

I knew it must have been good cos that league fan on twitter who rages about *everything* to do with Bradford hated it.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#264 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,117 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

I knew it must have been good cos that league fan on twitter who rages about *everything* to do with Bradford hated it.

Who's that? Anyway, I thought it was enjoyable. Very colourful and fun. I'm sure some opera bores will have been disgusted but so what.

I went down in the afternoon and saw some rehearsals. It was as they say, buzzing.

Edited by Johnoco, 10 June 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#265 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

We watched quite a bit of it, admittedly between looking around for other things to watch. It looked very good and we commentated that it was strange that we hadn't heard or read anything from people in Bradford on here, twitter etc

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#266 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

I'm sure some opera bores will have been disgusted but so what.

I thought it a bit of a shame they didn't do much with Bizet's music nor with the actual plot of Carmen but I enjoyed it a lot regardless.

- Severus, July 2012

#267 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,117 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

I thought it a bit of a shame they didn't do much with Bizet's music nor with the actual plot of Carmen but I enjoyed it a lot regardless.

I am not even aware of anything beyond the basic plot in that opera but if it stirs some peoples interest, that has to be good for them surely. Unless they are some sort of inverse version of RL and the 'real fans' brogade.

#268 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

I am not even aware of anything beyond the basic plot in that opera but if it stirs some peoples interest, that has to be good for them surely. Unless they are some sort of inverse version of RL and the 'real fans' brogade.

Just don't ever spend time on a Radio 3 messageboard.

- Severus, July 2012

#269 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

It was alright actually. No flipping idea what's going on, but it was fun to watch!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#270 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,077 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:25 AM

Only about 11 months till the next Game of Thrones episode. :(
Fides invicta triumphat

#271 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:25 AM

Only about 11 months till the next Game of Thrones episode. :(

Nowt to tide you over in the mean time sulky chops?

The Walking Dead should fill a few weekly fixes come the Autumn and Spring...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#272 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

Only 11 months until everyone in the pub starts blathering on about Game of Thrones again :(

Edited by Amber Avenger, 11 June 2013 - 08:56 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#273 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

Only 11 months until everyone in the pub starts blathering on about Game of Thrones again :(

Psst. I've never seen an episode. I didn't even know what it was until the BAFTA's showed snippets for the nominees.

I don't know how it's any different from all the other medieval/Tudor/ye olde series that use British actors like the Tudors or Merlin or that Borgias or any of those that I didn't watch either.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#274 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Psst. I've never seen an episode. I didn't even know what it was until the BAFTA's showed snippets for the nominees.

I don't know how it's any different from all the other medieval/Tudor/ye olde series that use British actors like the Tudors or Merlin or that Borgias or any of those that I didn't watch either.

I haven't seen it either, but the general premise seems to be Dungeons'n'Dragons'n'Boobies. HTH.

Edited by Futtocks, 11 June 2013 - 09:21 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#275 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

I haven't seen it either, but the general premise seems to be Dungeons'n'Dragons'n'Boobies. HTH.

Don't forget the boobies with more boobies around the sidelines along with occasional lesbian scenes that would be banned if on the 900 channels on Sky as too explicit.  There's artistic license of the original books then there's just playing to the teenage boys' fantasies by adding random filler scenes of boobies.

The problem is that the author takes about 3-5 years per book as a minimum and they're going to run out of content soon enough.  Also, he's old, fat and not in sparkling health so they may never officially finish the series of books.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#276 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

Don't forget the boobies with more boobies around the sidelines along with occasional lesbian scenes that would be banned if on the 900 channels on Sky as too explicit.  There's artistic license of the original books then there's just playing to the teenage boys' fantasies by adding random filler scenes of boobies.

The problem is that the author takes about 3-5 years per book as a minimum and they're going to run out of content soon enough.  Also, he's old, fat and not in sparkling health so they may never officially finish the series of books.

If he pops his clogs I'm sure they can continue the series with his name above the title and a little indicator underneath that somebody else wrote it.

I had no idea this series had such (ahem) artistic merit. I shall have to investigate.
- Severus, July 2012

#277 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

Kids today don't know they're born.  In my day you had to put up with some turgid Dennis Potter play that didn't make any sense for a bit of boob action.

#278 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

Kids today don't know they're born.  In my day you had to put up with some turgid Dennis Potter play that didn't make any sense for a bit of boob action.

Not Forgetting I Claudius and the odd Play for Today (or so I'm reliably told ;))

Edited by Griff9of13, 11 June 2013 - 11:46 AM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#279 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,077 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Surprised people haven't at least checked GOT out. Its the best thing on telly by a country mile and I would even go as far to say that its better than the Wire, Battlestar Gallactca and the West Wing.

Fides invicta triumphat

#280 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,458 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

I had no idea this series had such (ahem) artistic merit. I shall have to investigate.

Straight after GoT on Sky Atlantic is Banshee. Obviously, it's worth watching for the witty dialogue and atmospheric cinematography. The only drawbacks are the frequent depictions of graphic violence and sexual couplings.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police