Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The TV Thread

• Please log in to reply
925 replies to this topic

#21 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

I haven't watched any episode of a soap opera for over twenty years, and have never watched
- Casualty
- Holby City
- Silent Witness
- Holloaks
- Spooks
- Inspector George Gently
- Wire In the Blood
- Benidorm
- Big Brother
- Friends
- Towie
- X Factor or anything else by Simon Cowell
- Anything by Ricky Gervaise
- Anything by Russell Brand

I wonder if I am disturbingly highbrow

Nah, there's probably loads of sh*t you do watch.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#22 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

I haven't watched any episode of a soap opera for over twenty years, and have never watched
- Casualty
- Holby City
- Silent Witness
- Holloaks
- Spooks
- Inspector George Gently
- Wire In the Blood
- Benidorm
- Big Brother
- Friends
- Towie
- X Factor or anything else by Simon Cowell
- Anything by Ricky Gervaise
- Anything by Russell Brand

Being welsh it's more likely a monobrow :P
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#23 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

Spooks was good in the first few series.

Ricky Gervais does some great stuff (the Office especially) despite being a divisive charactor.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#24 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

Being welsh it's more likely a monobrow :P

Actually, like Alistair Dowling, my hair's gone grey but my eyebrows remain dark brown. Must be a Celtic thing.

I don't know about his nasal hair, but mine are going white.
:o

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#25 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

- Big Brother

I watched it. Live from the studio on Monday night! (top right)

Posted Image

Or you're a culture snob. Both high and low culture has its positives and negatives, and has its place. Don't deny yourself a healthy dose of both. :)

Edited by Mistress_Marlowe, 29 August 2012 - 08:47 PM.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#26 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

The only bit I've ever seen of Big Brother is when that scouse bloke won the first series. And that was only because it was put on in the pub after SL game.

Its not one of those things I 'try' to avoid or say I don't like it but secretly do. I just find it pointless and always have. I have never seen any major series like 24, Lost, or whatever.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#27 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,883 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

The only bit I've ever seen of Big Brother is when that scouse bloke won the first series. And that was only because it was put on in the pub after SL game.

Its not one of those things I 'try' to avoid or say I don't like it but secretly do. I just find it pointless and always have. I have never seen any major series like 24, Lost, or whatever.

'er sada'
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,883 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

Posted Image

Or you're a culture snob. Both high and low culture has its positives and negatives, and has its place. Don't deny yourself a healthy dose of both. :)

and don't you dictate what people can and can't enjoy. If he doen't like what he says he doesn't like it's up to him :)
Keeping it local

#29 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

'er sada'

Royle Family?

#30 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,883 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

Royle Family?

correct.

I thought the first big brother was quite interesting, but fter that it became a human circus.
Keeping it local

#31 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

correct.

I thought the first big brother was quite interesting, but fter that it became a human circus.

The human circus bit might be interesting but I'll never know. It also extends to the 'celebrity' version too, of which I've seen zero. Not even that clip of Galloway being a cat.

#32 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Coming up are new series of both the thick of it and red dwarf.

#33 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

and don't you dictate what people can and can't enjoy. If he doen't like what he says he doesn't like it's up to him :)

Not trying to! Personally I hate people deeming things in terms of "high brow" and "low brow" - I believe in culture. People are too quick to pass judgement on what is worthy and what isn't, especially about things they have never watched/done/seen etc.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#34 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

Posted Image

Nice to put a (terrible) picture to a username.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#35 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,883 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

Not trying to! Personally I hate people deeming things in terms of "high brow" and "low brow" - I believe in culture. People are too quick to pass judgement on what is worthy and what isn't, especially about things they have never watched/done/seen etc.

me too
but people are still in order to praise, criticise as they see fit.

I enjoy holby city, casualty, cop shows, and I don't mind dipping into the street. I don't pretend this stuff has artistic merit, is well acted or anything, it just occupies a little niche in my pleasures in life.
i agree with you about cultural snobbery.

nice shirt by the way.
Keeping it local

#36 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

I enjoyed A Touch of Cloth, a trilogy of stories apparently, but I don't know when the next episode is on.

Probably not for a few months - the second story was only filmed recently, while the one that was on over the weekend was filmed well over a year ago and has been ready for ages. I did enjoy it, the first part more so. I think two hours in total was stretching the concept a bit far for one story. Will still watch the second one though.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#37 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

Although aborted at the last minute due to extreme weather conditions, nevertheless Harry's Heroes showed great spirit and guts in preparation to climb Mount Everest. Walking across a ladder perched high over a ravine was scary, especially so as a Sherpa had lost his life just before. I was amazed looking at the lad with one arm use his teeth to help secure the ropes.

#38 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Last night saw the start of what seems likely to be a brilliant documentary series about the Team Sky Cycling team ... .on Sky Atlantic

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#39 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,860 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

if i lived on my own i would not have a tv in the house, a barrage of adverts, low quality insulting programmes, daytime tv of the 90s is now mainstream viewing and a celebrity means you once had a job walking the royal corgis, since my family insist on the damn thing - i will watch-only connect-father ted- uni challenge- psychoville and the odd film on film 4

If you don't choose to watch rubbish tv is pretty good. Just get a PVR.
Fides invicta triumphat

#40 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,860 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

with sky advertising its own sky programmes in -between no doubt?

Pro tip: if you want to watch a programme. Set the PVR and watch it 15 minutes after the start. That way you can fast forward through the ads.
Fides invicta triumphat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users