Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The TV Thread

• Please log in to reply
896 replies to this topic

#41 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Good cop was excellent last night
One or two clunky bits, such as how he found the gun: there's always a bit of loose floor board cut out to make a hiding place... Bit of a deus ex machina, but otherwise a good story

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 03 September 2012 - 12:27 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#42 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,850 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

i dont structure myself around tv schedules -whats a pvr?

It's a device that means you don't have to structure yourself around tv schedules.
Fides invicta triumphat

#43 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,591 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

does it read my mind? am not realy that interesred.

You're interested enough to be reading and posting in a thread specifically and clearly titled 'The TV thread'.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#44 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,591 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

I'll just say, here and now, that the first episode of the new series of Doctor Who on Saturday night 'Asylum of the Daleks' was absolutely brilliant and that the bloke who wrote it, Steven Moffat, who is also responsible for the modern day version of Sherlock, is a genius when it comes to creating top quality tv drama.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#45 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

I dont get much further than c611/614/617, I have a 4 year old.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#46 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

I think it was Art Dudley who described American TV as "a garbage truck, driven by a talking mule, crashing into a burning whorehouse". So it could be a lot worse over here.

There's plenty of stuff for most interests across the average week, and there's always the 'off' button, when things are bad.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#47 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Good cop was excellent last night
One or two clunky bits, such as how he found the gun: there's always a bit of loot board cut out to make a hiding place... Bit of a deus ex machina, but otherwise a good story

I really enjoyed it. The only (slight) problem for me was location familiarity and having to suppress the urge to shout at the TV "you don't go past that to get there" all the timewhen they were showing him driving from one place to another. :rolleyes:
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#48 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,062 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

I think it was Art Dudley who described American TV as "a garbage truck, driven by a talking mule, crashing into a burning whorehouse". So it could be a lot worse over here.

:blink: Anyone who says they wouldn't stop what they were doing to watch that is quite frankly a liar.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#49 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

:blink: Anyone who says they wouldn't stop what they were doing to watch that is quite frankly a liar.

:D You do have a point, there.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#50 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,027 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

I watched the new Daybreak this morning.

Not much different from the old one, except: -
- ITV has pinched Laura Tobin from the BBC to do the weather. They should never have got rid of Kirsty McCabe, she was brilliant.
- Aled Jones could scare a rabbit at fifty paces with the glare from his newly-whitened teeth.
- the presenters seemed to be genuinely friends with each other rather than presenting the company line.

Bland seems to be the theme; no sign of any danger or liveliness, though, in fairness, personal chemistry will take time to develop.

The BBC and ITV shows are largely interchangeable. Why can't we have one of the team who is, understandably, habitually crotchety at having to get up at four o'clock every morning. The others could have a great time annoying him/her ... just like what happens in most families at breakfast time.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#51 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,062 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

- ITV has pinched Laura Tobin from the BBC to do the weather. They should never have got rid of Kirsty McCabe, she was brilliant.
- Aled Jones could scare a rabbit at fifty paces with the glare from his newly-whitened teeth.
- the presenters seemed to be genuinely friends with each other rather than presenting the company line.

Bland seems to be the theme; no sign of any danger or liveliness, though, in fairness, personal chemistry will take time to develop.

The BBC and ITV shows are largely interchangeable. Why can't we have one of the team who is, understandably, habitually crotchety at having to get up at four o'clock every morning. The others could have a great time annoying him/her ... just like what happens in most families at breakfast time.

Don't the BBC ones stay in a hotel all week missing their kids and what not?! Also, it's the same thing each hour; record it, loop it. Back to bed.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#52 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

I thought they got rid of Adrian Chiles last year!
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#53 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

ITV has pinched Laura Tobin from the BBC to do the weather.

This is a sad, sad day.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#54 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,027 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

I thought they got rid of Adrian Chiles last year!

He was nowhere near as bad as everyone claims. Despite his BBC success, maybe he lacked self confidence in the ITV showpiece role.
For me, his problem was that, when he just got a bit grumpy, it was not gleefully picked up on by his co-presenters. Neither did he react properly (as would have been enjoyed by viewers) by getting on his high horse and giving a bit of devilment back. He is a fairly witty bloke and, if he had kicked off, and reacted like he did on radio football shows, I think he would have been regarded as a great success.

Eamon Holmes is grumpy and occasionally kicks off, but he isn't as fundamentally "nice" as Adrian Chiles and is a lot happier dishing it out that getting some back in return. He comes across to me as a bit of a bully.

#55 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Don't know who she is but if that means that Lucy Verasmy has gone then the TV will not be going on in the morning. :(

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#56 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,027 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

Don't know who she is but if that means that Lucy Verasamy has gone then the TV will not be going on in the morning. :(

Apparently she's moved to the main ITV national weather service.

#57 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

Er
Keely donovan
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#58 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Apparently she's moved to the main ITV national weather service.

Phew

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#59 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

I watched "The Best of Men" last night. Excellent! Worth watching on the iplayer if you missed it.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#60 BJW

BJW
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

In other words she's moved from one section of the Met Office to another. Perhaps she didn't fancy moving to Salford with BBC ? (FYI BBC forecasters used to be based at White City with ITV based at building on south bank near National Theatre).
My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users