Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The TV Thread

• Please log in to reply
1020 replies to this topic

#621 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

Ahem, it's not Christmas anymore. Some of us are back at work. :(

Shame. :D

#622 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Watched Death comes to Pemberley.

I had great fun spotting the  areas it was filmed in/

Lyme Park and house is obvious but I think I spotted Hardcastle Crags and Fountains Abbey in there as well.

#623 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

Lyme Park and house is obvious but I think I spotted Hardcastle Crags and Fountains Abbey in there as well.

I watched 'The Thirteenth Tale' the other day. Not great, but again, good for locations, including Duncombe Park (Helmsley) and Burton Agnes (Driffield). One coincidence is that the current occupant of the latter has a sister who was educated at the former, back when it was a school.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#624 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

I think I spotted Hardcastle Crags and Fountains Abbey in there as well.

You did ;)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#625 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

First episode of the new series of Sherlock on New Year's Day was good.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#626 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

Top of the Pops from 1979 programme on BBC4 right now. A good laugh and some top memories.

#627 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,573 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

The bridge is on tonight

Also silent witness is back. Nicky has completely changed since she joined.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#628 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

You were not wrong. Very good work from Clarkson and the BBC.

Clarkson did well

It was historically important to hear the voices of survivors who have subsequently died

Clarkson had to simplify the telling of the story and omit a lot of stuff but still gave an excellent account.

He is good at this sort of thing

I found it almost too painful to watch at times but I agree with you both, excellent work from Clarkson and the beeb.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#629 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

Guy Martin and Speed.

Great programme on Channel 4.

Very likeable chap.

Really enjoyed that. I liked The Boat That Guy Built too. He is an immensely likeable feller.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#630 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

Guy Martin is a complete mad man. To attempt to ride a push bike at over 100 MPH is madness even for a TT rider

I cycled through his home village this afternoon at a considerably more sedate pace.

#631 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

Top of the Pops from 1979 programme on BBC4 right now. A good laugh and some top memories.

Recorded that and watched it today. Enjoyed it. For every musical gem TOTP would always follow it with a duffer but that's what makes rewatching it now such fun. :)

Can't believe it was 35 years ago though. In 1979, it would have been 35 years since D Day in WW2. I feel ancient now.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#632 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Recorded that and watched it today. Enjoyed it. For every musical gem TOTP would always follow it with a duffer but that's what makes rewatching it now such fun. :)

Can't believe it was 35 years ago though. In 1979, it would have been 35 years since D Day in WW2. I feel ancient now.

Yes. I had either never seen or purposely blocked that Dame Edna record. Shudder

I always make those type of time analogies too :)

#633 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,458 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

Watching the NFL game between Kansas and the Colts.

As ever, loads of advertising breaks but just about every one has an ad for electronic cigarettes!!

I would have thought that, for advertising purposes, they would be banned from TV exposure.

<_<

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#634 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Dave Allen on BBC2 now. Bloody great

#635 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

I loved it.

Watched the Old Grey Whistle Test before it and couldn't help thinking the following the following bands from 1973 could of fitted in with -

Dr.Feelgood Mod Revival/2-Tone.

Roxy Music but more so Bryan Ferry looked more like ABC or some New Romantic type ala Spandau Ballet.

Argent Rock band could of been some Glam Metal band from the 80's.

Bob Marley and The Wailer's doing "Concrete Jungle" could of been some Root's Reggae band from Brixton in sound and look in the late 70's/early 80's.

Brinsley Schwarz was the start of the Pub Rock/New Wave bands with there Country style Pop sound influencing Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson etc.

#636 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

At a loose end tonight, I decided to sit through an episode of 'Splash!', ITV's primetime Saturday night celebrity diving contest.

I've witnessed the decline of television quality over the last decade or so, and have managed to rationalise my anger towards drivel such as The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent with the thought that ; 'People derive enjoyment from this rubbish, at the end of the day, they're not harming anyone, are they? Let them get on with it.'

This show, however, plumbs the very depths of 'entertainment' - right from the embarrassing hosts to the pathetic, worthless, deluded and self-important 'celebrity' contestants.

I've now arrived at the conclusion that, if TV bosses continue to scrape the very bottom of the barrel that is reality tv - in their attempts to squeeze every last scenario and context from its rotting corpse, then we're genuinely going to reach the stage where a show similar in nature to 'The Running Man' - as seen in the popular but overplayed movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, is the only possibility left on the table. And you know what? People will absolutely lap it up.

Edited by TheTerminator, 05 January 2014 - 01:14 AM.

Posted Image

#637 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

At a loose end tonight, I decided to sit through an episode of 'Splash!', ITV's primetime Saturday night celebrity diving contest.

I've witnessed the decline of television quality over the last decade or so, and have managed to rationalise my anger towards drivel such as The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent with the thought that ; 'People derive enjoyment from this rubbish, at the end of the day, they're not harming anyone, are they? Let them get on with it.'

This show, however, plumbs the very depths of 'entertainment' - right from the embarrassing hosts to the pathetic, worthless, deluded and self-important 'celebrity' contestants.

I've now arrived at the conclusion that, if TV bosses continue to scrape the very bottom of the barrel that is reality tv - in their attempts to squeeze every last scenario and context from its rotting corpse, then we're genuinely going to reach the stage where a show similar in nature to 'The Running Man' - as seen in the popular but overplayed movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, is the only possibility left on the table. And you know what? People will absolutely lap it up.

When you sat down to watch that show, what exactly were you expecting to see? It's billed as a celebrity diving contest. You got celebrity diving.

I'm not saying it's any good. I wouldn't know, I don't watch it. But does it herald the decline of civilisation as we know it? Unlikely. These things never do. It's just telly.

I remember the days of three channel television and no video recorders. There was loads of dross on back then too, but not much escape from it either. At least nowadays, there are plenty of other alternative strands of entertainment available to those who don't want to watch, for example, celebrity diving. Plus you can record the good stuff when it's on (and there's lots of good stuff on telly these days if you look around beyond ITV and BBC primetime) to watch while the primetime dross is on.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#638 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

First episode of the new series of Sherlock on New Year's Day was good.I agree, 

I agree, but it did receive quite a lot of comment over scenes on the underground that were inaccurate. 

#639 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

I agree, but it did receive quite a lot of comment over scenes on the underground that were inaccurate. 

I've never understood that type of criticism, it's a fictional character in a fictional story in a fictional representation of London.  It's not putting itself out as fully accurate, it's entertainment.  I've seen people complaining about The Walking Dead being unrealistic because of minor administrative issues while completely skating over the fact that it's a programme about the world being taken over by flesh eating zombies and the destruction of civilisation.  Surely it's easier to just not pay attention to these minor things and actually enjoy the programme?

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#640 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

I've never understood that type of criticism, it's a fictional character in a fictional story in a fictional representation of London.  It's not putting itself out as fully accurate, it's entertainment.  I've seen people complaining about The Walking Dead being unrealistic because of minor administrative issues while completely skating over the fact that it's a programme about the world being taken over by flesh eating zombies and the destruction of civilisation.  Surely it's easier to just not pay attention to these minor things and actually enjoy the programme?

The point is though that these are simple things to get right and the whole point is to reveal something that is surprising in a realistic way - rather than just create a world in which as nothing is true anything can be right.

The tube things could all have been sorted very easily and would have probably made the story tighter.  As it was it was part of an episode in which the ride was good fun but the plot was woeful.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012