Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The TV Thread

• Please log in to reply
834 replies to this topic

#641 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

Dave Allen on BBC2 now. Bloody great

Absolute non-stop laugh out loud brilliance.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#642 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,981 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:44 AM

I watched last night's Sherlock, I missed the first half an hour but it's the first episode I've seen. Is it always like that?

Because - and without giving away spoilers - there was something awfully convenient about the whole thing; more so than Scooby Doo.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#643 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

I watched last night's Sherlock, I missed the first half an hour but it's the first episode I've seen. Is it always like that?

Because - and without giving away spoilers - there was something awfully convenient about the whole thing; more so than Scooby Doo.

It's not always like that but it's getting more like that.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#644 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

His mask was pulled off and it was really Old Man Jones trying to scare away the locals so he could smuggle treasure?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#645 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

http://www.theguardi...er-class-actors

Edited by 808tone, 06 January 2014 - 10:15 PM.

#646 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

http://www.theguardi...er-class-actors

There are a few jobs which the best way to get into is to work for free and get experience, PR, Acting, Interior Design, Broadcasting etc. Not many people can afford to live for free, especially in London. It helps to have wealthy (and supportive) parents who can finance you through the work experience.

I am sure there is plenty of talent out there that given half a chance would be amazing actors, designers etc.

Edited by markleeds, 07 January 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#647 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

Duplicate post

Edited by markleeds, 07 January 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#648 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,315 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

I was once offered a scholarship, which would have got over the fees issue.  However, the more pressing concern was that I needed a steady income rather than a long shot at being rich.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#649 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

Watched World's Weirdest Events and truly amazing. Lost on its migration, a walrus managed to get to a town centre where it attacked vehicles. How about a freshwater lake near to a golf course in Brisbane having a dozen Bull sharks in it!  It seems they somehow arrived from the sea and then along a river, which may have been flooded because the lake is landlocked. And before you ask, they can survive in both freshwater as well as salt water. Fish were seen wriggling along roads and houses engulfed in ice that had been blown in from a lake. One guy was inside his house filming the mounting ice. One fish could raise its poisoned bones out of its back in order to protect itself.  

Edited by Saint Billinge, 07 January 2014 - 03:55 PM.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#650 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Halfway through a series and halfway through an episode is probably not the best way to approach any TV show in which Steven Moffat (co-creator of Sherlock and current head-honcho on Doctor Who) has had a hand. They're often confusing enough even if you've seen them from the start.

I thought the plot took a backseat to the characters in this week's Sherlock. Lots of entertaining dialogue going on, all well delivered by the cast, but I agree with you, it all seemed to tie up all too neatly and quickly at the end to be credible.

I think this show would benefit from a longer run, with more time to develop the characters and the plots as well, as too much material is being crammed into the meagre three episodes per year.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#651 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

'The Taste' on Channel 4. An imported format from the USA with a judging panel of extreme Frenchman Ludo Lefebvre, Nigella 'sniff' Lawson and wiseguy Anthony Bourdain.

I reckon, for a series starter, it was okay. Unlike most other talent shows, they don't meet the competitors 'til they've tasted the food and made their final decision, so no sob stories, no 'journeys', just judgement.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#652 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Top Of The Pops on BBC4 at 7.30 from January 1979. Good to follow on twitter too using #totp or #bbc4

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#653 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

Halfway through a series and halfway through an episode is probably not the best way to approach any TV show in which Steven Moffat (co-creator of Sherlock and current head-honcho on Doctor Who) has had a hand. They're often confusing enough even if you've seen them from the start.

I thought the plot took a backseat to the characters in this week's Sherlock. Lots of entertaining dialogue going on, all well delivered by the cast, but I agree with you, it all seemed to tie up all too neatly and quickly at the end to be credible.

I think this show would benefit from a longer run, with more time to develop the characters and the plots as well, as too much material is being crammed into the meagre three episodes per year.

I think we all got suckered into the plot taking a backseat idea... not the filler episode that we thought?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#654 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

I think we all got suckered into the plot taking a backseat idea... not the filler episode that we thought?

Yup. Classic Moffat. Excellent final episode. There's usually a decent pay off if you stick with his stuff to the end and don't pass judgement on it halfway through. Still think 3 episodes is too short for a series though, I'd love to see what they could do with these characters over a 13 week run. I think the writers probably would too, but getting that cast together can't be easy now they're in big demand elsewhere, while Moffat and Gatiss have their commitments to Doctor Who as well. If they have to choose, unsurprisingly I'd rather they did 13 episodes of Doctor Who! ;)

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#655 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

If this thread is any guide, there's nothing on telly at the moment.

Anyone got any reviews/recommendations to liven things up?

I've heard EastEnders has perked up a bit since Danny 'farkin' Dyer turned up, and Hayley had the nation in tears in Corrie, but I don't watch either these days. I've also swerved the latest series of Celebrity Big Brother, which isn't like me, but it just seems to be on all the time now since it moved to Channel 5. As for Benefits Street, not my cup of tea at all. Shame on Channel 4, really. They got rid of Big Brother for this? Basically it's the same show, but genuinely exploitative. Revolting.

Instead I've been filling in the space on my telly screen lately with a blu ray box set of the first series of the old sci-fi show Space 1999, which came down the chimney at Christmas, and have been surprised at how good it actually is. I remember seeing a few episodes out of sequence on a late night repeat run in the 1990s, but I never saw the original early 70s Saturday teatime run as it clashed with Doctor Who in the age before video recorders were heard of. The blu ray transfer is astonishingly good, as the series was made on film, and the special effects are impressive for the time too. Some of the acting is a bit wooden, but it's a Gerry Anderson production and he was more used to working with puppets which probably explains some of the casting. The premise is a bit ridiculous, but it is entertaining once it gets going. And the spaceships are cool. :)

eagle2.jpg

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#656 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

If this thread is any guide, there's nothing on telly at the moment.

Anyone got any reviews/recommendations to liven things up?

Enjoyed the first couple of episodes of "Hostages" on C4. Plenty more twists and turns coming in this series.

The new version of "The Tomorrow People" (never saw the original series) is a good series if you want to rest your brain for an hour.

Oh and "Brooklyn 99" is just stupidly hilarious and had my family in stiches. :-)

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 22 January 2014 - 06:56 AM.

#657 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,581 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:56 AM

I have the opposite problem to John, far too much I want to watch and nowhere near enough time to watch them and still do the other things in my life I want to do.

- American Horror Story s3 finishes next week so we've been saving the episodes to finish in a bang.  My wife got all girly at Stevie Nicks being in last week's episode

- I'm enjoying Almost Human, in the past I was never really a massive cop-show fan but this is just the right level of cop and sci-fi for me.

- On that note, I've about a season's worth of Continuum to catch up on with the very lovely Rachel Nichols as lead.

- We've not yet started s2 of Elementary but that's high on our list of things to watch

- We're both enjoying Grimm but again are struggling to keep up with the episodes.

- We have about 10 episodes outstanding of both The Neighbors and Modern Family, both excellent comedies

- The Walking Dead is one of the favourites and we just manage to keep up with that one

Then there's a whole pile of other programmes we'd love to watch but haven't bothered as we know we just don't have the time, maybe when we retire!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#658 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

I don't have any must-see telly at the moment. I mainly watch sport, films and documentaries. I always watch things like Midsomer Murders and University Challenge, but it doesn't bother me if I miss one.

I'm waiting in anticipation for the next series of Game of Thrones and The Deadliest Catch. What I'd really like to see is a follow-on series from Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#659 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

I've also swerved the latest series of Celebrity Big Brother, which isn't like me, but it just seems to be on all the time now since it moved to Channel 5.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if it is (for a saddo like me), I'd say this is without a doubt one of the best series they have ever done - including the Channel 4 days. Some of the tasks have been great. The only Big Brother series to ever be extended due to popularity - or is it to keep Jim Davidson away from the public for a little longer...?!

Another "love it or hate it" reccomendation at the moment is House of Fools - the new sitcom from Vic & Bob. Again if you liked Shooting Stars, give this a go. If you can't stand them, well it really is more of the same. I loved it though

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#660 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,815 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

The BBC's lavish 'Musketeers' thing is worth a try, as the first episode was really just a scene-setter, so the story can get going from now on. Good cast, I reckon, especially Capaldi. 

My dad has got me into 'Big Bang Theory', which is very smartly written and fun.

Oh, and Charlie Brooker's 'Weekly Wipe' for a good dose of bile. How can anyone getting his hoggins off of Konnie Huq be so sour?

Edited by Futtocks, 22 January 2014 - 09:52 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users