Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The TV Thread

• Please log in to reply
848 replies to this topic

#701 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

I quite enjoy Call the Midwife.

There I said it.

Same here, must watch programme in our house.

I am fascinated by the fact that the era in which it's set is just a year or two before I was born. I don't think of myself as particularly old, but to me the world portrayed back then has changed beyond recognition.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#702 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,738 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

Julia Bradbury has quit Countryfile.

Given the hoohah about ageism faced by the BBC when she was first appointed to replace Miriam O'Reilly on the programme, it will be interesting to see who gets the gig.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#703 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,125 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

Channel 5 up for sale - US cable companies among those interested.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#704 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,125 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

Oh yeah, and it is now less than a month 'til the launch of London Live.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#705 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

I have won!  My wife called The Walking Dead by it's alternative name this morning!  Change the third letter of Walking two places further down the alphabet :)  That's after a couple of years of me calling it that and my wife calling me a classless lout.

It does explain why the zombies are groaning and grunting so much though...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#706 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,738 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Stiff is a colloqualism for "dead"

#707 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,125 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

Blast from the past! 4Music are showing repeats of 'Ren & Stimpy'! http://www.4music.co...enAndStimpyShow

Edited by Futtocks, 03 March 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#708 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,738 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

2nd March 2014:

Sunday People: Susannah Reid allowed compassionate leave from Breakfast programme, following a traumatic  breakup with her long-term partner.

3rd March 2014:

Guardian: Susannah Reid to leave Breakfast programme, following a big money move to front a rival show on ITV.

#709 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,125 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

2nd March 2014:

Sunday People: Susannah Reid allowed compassionate leave from Breakfast programme, following a traumatic  breakup with her long-term partner.

3rd March 2014:

Guardian: Susannah Reid to leave Breakfast programme, following a big money move to front a rival show on ITV.

ITV are also recruiting Charlotte Hawkins and Laura Tobin for the show.

They haven't twigged that perhaps it's not the choice of presenters that's the problem with the programme...

#710 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

ITV are also recruiting Charlotte Hawkins and Laura Tobin for the show.

They haven't twigged that perhaps it's not the choice of presenters that's the problem with the programme...

Quite.  I sometimes turn the telly on in the morning while having breakfast and the BBC is the logical choice as I'm not going to get stuck with 1/4 of the time in adverts.

That said, that Hollins bloke on BBC often just makes me head for the off button.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#711 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,738 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

Somebody should give Charlotte Hawkins a bag of chips. She is way too thin to look healthy.

#712 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,738 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

That said, that Hollins bloke on BBC often just makes me head for the off button.

At one time, Chris Hollins used to go out with newsreader Jane Hill.

Some time later, she announced she was in a gay relationship.

These two facts may or may not be related.

#713 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,719 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

Watched the first part of 37 Days last night. I thought it was pretty good. I had forgotten about the bit about the Ferdinand assassins abandoning it and then bizarrely getting another chance by freak coincidence. I wonder how things might have turned out had his driver not got lost.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#714 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,125 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

Danny Baker's 'Brushing up on' last night had some footage of when John Noakes climbed Nelson's Column. It made me feel all woozy when it was originally broadcast, and seeing it again was, if anything, even worse.

A 140-foot wooden ladder, with a bit that actually angled outwards and no visible safety harness. Apparently, he had to do the last bit twice, due to high winds. Children's TV presenters are made of stern stuff and no mistake!

BLUE PETER FOOTAGE HERE

#715 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

I have won!  My wife called The Walking Dead by it's alternative name this morning!  Change the third letter of Walking two places further down the alphabet :)  That's after a couple of years of me calling it that and my wife calling me a classless lout.

It does explain why the zombies are groaning and grunting so much though...

regardless of whether the idea of zombies walking the earth is a bit naff the production and acting of the cast is second to none, i don't scare easily these days but there have been genuine terrifying and tense moments throughout this series.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#716 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Danny Baker's 'Brushing up on' last night had some footage of when John Noakes climbed Nelson's Column. It made me feel all woozy when it was originally broadcast, and seeing it again was, if anything, even worse.

A 140-foot wooden ladder, with a bit that actually angled outwards and no visible safety harness. Apparently, he had to do the last bit twice, due to high winds. Children's TV presenters are made of stern stuff and no mistake!

BLUE PETER FOOTAGE HERE

Noakes certainly had some b@lls tackling that, I very much doubt I would have done it. I doubt the BBC would put any of it's presenters in such danger now in our H & S risk assessment obsessed world. Not that H & S is a bad thing, but I believe the BBC are a bit over zealous these days. I think it was Chris Evans on the One Show last week who said he had to complete a booklet on opening a door safely.  :fie:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#717 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,125 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

Noakes certainly had some b@lls tackling that, I very much doubt I would have done it. I doubt the BBC would put any of it's presenters in such danger now in our H & S risk assessment obsessed world. Not that H & S is a bad thing, but I believe the BBC are a bit over zealous these days. I think it was Chris Evans on the One Show last week who said he had to complete a booklet on opening a door safely.  :fie:

I have no doubt at all - I would NOT have done it!

#718 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,125 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Heads up! Tonight on BBC4 at 9pm, Muscle Shoals: The Greatest Recording Studio in the World.

Spoiler: it's very good, despite the occasional appearance of Bono.  ;)

Edited by Futtocks, 07 March 2014 - 04:22 PM.

#719 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,719 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

Mott the Hoople documentary on BBC4 now. Top stuff

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#720 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

I bet Adam Faith will be turning in his grave.  ;)

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users