The TV Thread

• Please log in to reply
860 replies to this topic

#781 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:45 PM

The music from the original Tomorrow People was really freaky and quite scary at the time. I bet the effects were really terrible too in retrospect.

Ah yes, a still brilliant theme toon. I loved that show as a kid, but it doesn't bear up too well if you rewatch it.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#782 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:44 AM

Ah yes, a still brilliant theme toon. I loved that show as a kid, but it doesn't bear up too well if you rewatch it.

Was there a guy in it called Michael Rodd? Or was that Tomorrow's World?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#783 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,161 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

Just looked at the IMDB page and don't seem to recognise any of the cast from anything else.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#784 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

Chris Chittell has served a life sentence in Emmerdale Farm.

Geoffrey Bayldon was Catweazle.

I have known a few different people nicknamed Catweazle

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#785 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,161 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

Chris Chittell has served a life sentence in Emmerdale Farm.

Geoffrey Bayldon was Catweazle.

I have known a few different people nicknamed Catweazle

Oops, missed Bayldon's name!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#786 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

Just looked at the IMDB page and don't seem to recognise any of the cast from anything else.

I doubt many of them ever worked again. It's a show full of great ideas, but made for peanuts and really badly acted by its child/young adult stars. Not that I noticed that when I first watched it aged 7. I thought it was ace! :)

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#787 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

Was there a guy in it called Michael Rodd? Or was that Tomorrow's World?

Tomorrow's World. And Screen Test! ( "And now, here's a clip from the latest release by the Children's Film Foundation..." )

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#788 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Meanwhile, over at Channel 4, there's the sound of a barrel being scraped...

http://www.telegraph...r-new-show.html

They ditched Big Brother for stuff like this!??

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#789 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

John, I thought you lived in Bradford. This premise of this show is not unrealistic.

#790 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

John, I thought you lived in Bradford. This premise of this show is not unrealistic.

I can see where you're wanting this to go, and I'm not following, other than to lift this quote from the above story on the website:

Harry Benson, from the Marriage Foundation, said the principle of arranged marriage was proven to be successful, but warned it required the strong social support of families and plenty of time to adapt.
Saying the programme’s opt-out clause risked “trivialising” the commitment required for marriage, he added: “Instead of getting married with clarity and intent about their future, these couples will still be in a relationship that is riddled with ambiguity. Nobody gets married with an easy opt-out clause a few weeks later. It simply undermines commitment from the very beginning.”

I've no idea what the Marriage Foundation is, but I think their Mr Benson has a fair point here.

And it is a risible idea for a TV show.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#791 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,977 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

I can see where you're wanting this to go, and I'm not following, other than to lift this quote from the above story on the website:

Harry Benson, from the Marriage Foundation, said the principle of arranged marriage was proven to be successful, but warned it required the strong social support of families and plenty of time to adapt.
Saying the programme’s opt-out clause risked “trivialising” the commitment required for marriage, he added: “Instead of getting married with clarity and intent about their future, these couples will still be in a relationship that is riddled with ambiguity. Nobody gets married with an easy opt-out clause a few weeks later. It simply undermines commitment from the very beginning.”

I've no idea what the Marriage Foundation is, but I think their Mr Benson has a fair point here.

And it is a risible idea for a TV show.

The things you find out looking for memory confirmation:

Birmingham radio station BRMB has married two sets of couples, and both of these contests have sparked a national interest. In 1999, the first couple were matched by a panel of relationship counsellors and astrologers, including astrologer Russell Grant. The groom was 28 year-old Greg Cordell, a sales manager, and his chosen bride was Carla Germaine, a 23 year-old former model. Also to make it to the last 4 girls was her long term school friend Joanna Scragg.

The couple married, on air nationally and online, however they soon split after the wedding. Carla later met and married Jeremy Kyle,[1] who at the time was one of the radio station's DJs. They now have their own family together.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#792 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

I watched George Galloway's new half-hour weekly show Sputnik ... on RT HD every Saturday.

I'd recommend that it's worth a watch if it's repeated and worth recording/watching next week.

#793 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,161 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

BBC2 'Comedy Vault' programme just started - should be some good stuff.

#794 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,161 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

Blimey! No wonder Madness never got that sitcom past pilot!

#795 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,161 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

Just finished - see it on the iPlayer, as there's lots of stuff you may never have seen before, and some odd stuff you may only dimly remember.

#796 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,518 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

Alan Bennett's wonderful "Dinner at Noon" now on BBC4.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#797 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,396 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

Just finished - see it on the iPlayer, as there's lots of stuff you may never have seen before, and some odd stuff you may only dimly remember.

I watched it. I thought it was an hour well spent.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#798 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,161 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

On Masterchef tonight, the contestants have to cook for Ferran Adria.

That'd be like X-Factor hopefuls having to submit their songwriting efforts to McCartney & Zappa.

#799 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:07 PM

Just catching up with the Trip.  Loving it.  It's just a delight.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#800 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

I'm a big fan of Steve Coogan going back many years now and I quite like Rob Brydon. But I find The Trip just a little self indulgent.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users