The TV Thread

• Please log in to reply
1386 replies to this topic

#1381 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 3,013 posts

Posted Today, 10:45 AM

Just started watching the Daredevil series on Netflix. Quite good if you're into superhero type stuff.

I found it quite boring to be honest. I think we must be reaching saturation point on the superhero front, all the storylines blend into one these days. I tried watching the latest Marvel offering with Agent Carter and apart from the busty, sexy woman playing Carter there's a pretty weak storyline.

Gone back to watching the repeats of Boston Legal  - Shatner & Spader comedy at its best.

#1382 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,380 posts

Posted Today, 10:46 AM

I watched the Eighties serialisation of 'The Day of theTriffids' last night. Still good.

Between the optimist & the pessimist
The difference is quite droll:
The optimist sees the doughnut,
The pessimist sees the hole.

#1383 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted Today, 11:58 AM

I found it quite boring to be honest. I think we must be reaching saturation point on the superhero front, all the storylines blend into one these days. I tried watching the latest Marvel offering with Agent Carter and apart from the busty, sexy woman playing Carter there's a pretty weak storyline.

Boring is the last word I would use to describe Daredevil, but each to their own and all that. It's certainly the least superhero-y of the majority of things out there and uses it's format well to study the characters in a way most of the movies don't/won't. The Kingpin is actually the first villain in the Marvel side you actually get to know a bit about his motivations. I think it's the only tv series from both DC and Marvel in the past few years that has been worth watching anyway, but can understand why it isn't everyone's cup of tea

Edited by Amber Avenger, Today, 11:59 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#1384 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 7,207 posts

Posted Today, 12:22 PM

I watched the Eighties serialisation of 'The Day of theTriffids' last night. Still good.

Watched it a while back on BBC4, and a very long while back, when it first came out. Still very good.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#1385 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 205 posts

Posted Today, 01:10 PM

Boring is the last word I would use to describe Daredevil, but each to their own and all that. It's certainly the least superhero-y of the majority of things out there and uses it's format well to study the characters in a way most of the movies don't/won't. The Kingpin is actually the first villain in the Marvel side you actually get to know a bit about his motivations. I think it's the only tv series from both DC and Marvel in the past few years that has been worth watching anyway, but can understand why it isn't everyone's cup of tea

I've only seen the first two episodes so far, but agree with this.

I'm enjoying it more then I actually thought, and will be watching a few episodes each evening if possible. Still trying to fit in the whole of the X-Files and Twin Peaks, as both will be making a welcome return in the future 😀

#1386 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,380 posts

Posted Today, 01:40 PM

Watched it a while back on BBC4, and a very long while back, when it first came out. Still very good.

I never saw it when it was originally broadcast, but because it wasn't set "in the future", the only SFX are the shooting stars, the triffids themselves (which are very well-designed) and the triffid gun (bad SFX, but wisely only once seen in action).

The feel of the series is different to the book, updated to the Eighties and with Bill as very much an everyman of his time, compared to the book's more urbane 'chap'. Surprisingly little of the book's substance is cut from the screenplay.

Of the other Wyndham books, there are some which have apparently not been filmed, and which might make good TV, like 'The Kraken wakes' or 'The Chrysalids'.

Edited by Futtocks, Today, 01:43 PM.

Between the optimist & the pessimist
The difference is quite droll:
The optimist sees the doughnut,
The pessimist sees the hole.

#1387 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 8,325 posts

Posted Today, 06:09 PM

Thanks for that, the History Channel you say? I guess that must be a guarantee of historical accuracy.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users