Rugby League World
League Express
Garry Schofield Testimonial Brochure (Signed)

Photo
- - - - -

The TV Thread

• Please log in to reply
1414 replies to this topic

#1401 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,679 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:25 PM

I remember a long-ago canal holiday in the Canal du Nivernais in France. I was probably too young to appreciate the long, quiet periods when little happened (we had only packed two books for the whole family), but I did enjoy it overall. Especially the way you entered the centre of towns by water instead of road, which gave you a different perspective.

Between the optimist & the pessimist
The difference is quite droll:
The optimist sees the doughnut,
The pessimist sees the hole.

#1402 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,679 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

On the Great British Bake Off, the first casualty is the smug hipster. Yes! B) 

#1403 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,679 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:24 PM

CLrm8LsWsAAKarU.jpg

#1404 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 8,470 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:56 PM

I've been watching a dusty old DVD of 'Sapphire & Steel' starring Joanna Lumley & David McCallum and marvelling that something as unusual as this used to go out on early evening ITV. Those were t'days.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

www.johndrake.co.uk

#1405 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,679 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:54 PM

I've been watching a dusty old DVD of 'Sapphire & Steel' starring Joanna Lumley & David McCallum and marvelling that something as unusual as this used to go out on early evening ITV. Those were t'days.

You're not wrong. Strange stuff, and slow-paced too.

I have the box set.

#1406 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,679 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger and a load of American TV's big hitters are making a drama series about the Punk Rock scene in New York. Here's a teaser:

#1407 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,648 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:31 PM

Seth MacFarlane has just about pushed the limits as far as he possibly can in the USA with the latest Family Guy episode on BBC2 -  'The 2,000-year-old virgin', in which Peter and his friends meet Jesus and try to help him lose his virginity.

In the meantime, I've finally started watching The Wire on Sky Box Sets. Pretty good - certainly deserves its reputation but I still think The Sopranos is the best TV drama ever made.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Running targets in 2015 - PB at all distances, complete first Marathon, run more than 1000 total miles. 

#1408 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 11,692 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:45 AM

Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger and a load of American TV's big hitters are making a drama series about the Punk Rock scene in New York.

Hope (purely for reasons of authenticity, of course) it includes Debbie Harry and Chris Stein getting it on in the back alley behind CBGB's.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#1409 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,679 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:20 PM

Hope (purely for reasons of authenticity, of course) it includes Debbie Harry and Chris Stein getting it on in the back alley behind CBGB's.

It appears that Malin Akerman is cast as the divine Debbie.

Alan Rickman as Hilly Krystal and Rupert Grint as Cheetah Chrome are two others I've heard about.

#1410 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 17,437 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:39 AM

We've just finished watching the 4th series of Veep on Sky Box Sets and I must say after a relatively ropey 3rd series, the 4th was brilliant and back to its best. 

#1411 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,679 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:12 PM

Watching some old video files from the 1990s and I have 2 observations.

Fantasy World Cup: David Baddiel and Frank Skinner make a very near-the-bone comment or two about Jimmy Savile. In 1998.

and, on a lighter note,

In an episode of 'Chelmsford 123', when Philip Pope's oily character Grasientus is about to be knocked out, you can clearly see and hear a mattress being slid into place behind him so he can do a fall.  :haha:

Edited by Futtocks, 16 August 2015 - 09:13 PM.

#1412 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 8,406 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:03 PM

It's  also got Vikings, a similar big budget fictional drama. I've not seen it, but been told it's pretty flipping good.

I don't watch it because I'm a Celt. We can't handle all those funny names.

;)

PS: I 've sen the Hull band Sordid Lies a couple of times;  I really like them. The guitarist wears a pirate's hat, which is an added bonus.

I caught the end of Sordid Lies' set at the Sesh, very enjoyable.

I'm also enjoying Black Sails very much indeed. The last episode I watched was Captain Flint hunting down and engaging the Andromache, top telly. I liked the attention to detail. Somebody working on the series knows their stuff when it comes to rigging a sailing ship.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#1413 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 18,050 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:43 PM

There's a film just started on BBC1 called Lesbian Vampire Killers.  Now, are they killers who hunt lesbian vampires or vampire killers who are lesbians themselves?

Edit: Ah, lesbian vampires.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#1414 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:16 PM

There's a film just started on BBC1 called Lesbian Vampire Killers.  Now, are they killers who hunt lesbian vampires or vampire killers who are lesbians themselves?

Edit: Ah, lesbian vampires.

You mean there are other types of vampires? Wow! You live and learn.

Or maybe not.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#1415 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:29 PM

I'm going to include this gem in the TV thread as it is what i'm watching and was originally on tv.

It is without doubt one of the finest unintentional mocumentaries ever made.

I couldn't spake for the entire duration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users