Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

crowds

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

try asking our neighbours in cas..wakeys are up,but they got cheap season tickets.

Average 6,663
They would have been grateful for an average like that in the good old days before SL

Their season has been a nightmare: their crowds have held up well considering.
Even the Broncos average higher than Rovers last cup winning season

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 10 September 2012 - 09:19 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#42 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

Average 6,663
They would have been grateful for an average like that in the good old days before SL

My memory may be failing me but I seem to remember a season when we won the cup and our league attendances were shocking but that was down to lousy play throughout the season. I may be wrong but I thought donny did the double over us that year.

#43 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Average 6,663

why are you comparing todays crowds with the "good old days", rather than their time in the elite when they have been visited only by the so called top clubs.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#44 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

My memory may be failing me but I seem to remember a season when we won the cup and our league attendances were shocking but that was down to lousy play throughout the season. I may be wrong but I thought donny did the double over us that year.

correct, if Barrow had won at hull on the last day, we were down.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#45 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

Poor old Carl Dooler

#46 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

1983 average 2,600
Rovers didn't play Doncaster.

It was a poor season in the League right enough, but the cup run coincided with the lead up to the end of the season, with Rovers battling against relegaation...something which we are old is supposed to have them hanging from the rafters.
Keeping it local

#47 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

why are you comparing todays crowds with the "good old days", rather than their time in the elite when they have been visited only by the so called top clubs.

because things were supposed to be 'better' then: they weren't.
Rovers' crowds when they were in the elite were poor-even in a championship winning season, or qv during the mythical times of the relegation dogfights.
Keeping it local

#48 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

Rovers' crowds when they were in the elite were poor-even in a championship winning season, or qv during the mythical times of the relegation dogfights.

let's leave it at that shall we.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#49 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

Glass half empty again Chris?
"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

#50 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

isn't it always Dave

:D
Keeping it local

#51 andyc

andyc
  • Coach
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

The aberage in 1977 was just over 3000 and we were champions. The best average in my 40 odds years was 4500 ish either 89-90 season or 93 to 95 seasons i think. Up the Rover
WatchED Rovers since 74-75 seasons,as mad about rovers 35 years on(the wife thinks i,m mad).
ROVERS ROVERS

#52 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Or maybe another way of looking at it is that L'Angelo is being very positive in that he believes what's happening now compares quite favourably with other eras?

I think there's a big danger in taking attendance figures out of context. Rovers averaged a shockingly small number when we won the league, but the sport in general was at a low ebb then. Those huge crowds we got in the late 50s again reflected a boom time for attendances.

Where we've suffered post 1996 is not really in terms of the size of our support, but our crowds compared to clubs in the top league which have shown some big improvements. It's logical to say that had we been in the top flight in the last 16 years our crowds would have commensurately improved.

It's also true to say that it takes a hell of an effort to buck the general trend, something the club has done this year.

A Fev Blog

#53 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Or maybe another way of looking at it is that L'Angelo is being very positive in that he believes what's happening now compares quite favourably with other eras?

I think there's a big danger in taking attendance figures out of context. Rovers averaged a shockingly small number when we won the league, but the sport in general was at a low ebb then. Those huge crowds we got in the late 50s again reflected a boom time for attendances.

Where we've suffered post 1996 is not really in terms of the size of our support, but our crowds compared to clubs in the top league which have shown some big improvements. It's logical to say that had we been in the top flight in the last 16 years our crowds would have commensurately improved.

It's also true to say that it takes a hell of an effort to buck the general trend, something the club has done this year.

That's what I'm saying Mark.
Although things were supposed to 'better' then. Also Rovers attendances outside the 70s were poor, they were poor in other eras as well. Rovers had big crowds in the 5os and 60s for cup games mainly, and the club's league attendances, that record notwithstanding weren't that great during the boom era: check out 'Coal Is Our Life', and don't forget also that most games were local derbies.

There are one or two clubs bucking the 'trend' outside SL. Interesting averages at Workington, dewsbury and Crusaders for instance.

If Rovers had been in Sl with the current regime there would have been a better chance of having better attendances in SL. But this is a no brainer really, since the entire culture of the club has changed...at last, thank goodness.
Keeping it local

#54 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

And of course on the other hand you can understand our fans who look at our crowds in the period 1988 to 1995 immediately before SL, and then see what's happened since, it's natural for people to ask, 'where did that go?' and why.

A Fev Blog

#55 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

And of course on the other hand you can understand our fans who look at our crowds in the period 1988 to 1995 immediately before SL, and then see what's happened since, it's natural for people to ask, 'where did that go?' and why.

you can, although the discrepancies between attendances when different clubs visited, could indicate the influeence of visiting supporters.

Why aren't the 'fans' who have apparently 'walked' since 1995 criticised for doing so rather than sympathised with? It's their choice of course.
Keeping it local

#56 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

you can, although the discrepancies between attendances when different clubs visited, could indicate the influeence of visiting supporters.

Why aren't the 'fans' who have apparently 'walked' since 1995 criticised for doing so rather than sympathised with? It's their choice of course.

Yes, the away support, always hard to quantify is always a factor. Reasonable to assume that Rovers would attract plenty more of their own fans to face Leeds, Cas & Wigan than current Champiosnhip opposition.

In terms of the fans who walked away, 1995 was such a terrible time for the sport I wouldn't blame anyone for doing that. We can only hope that the current set up and onfield rugby attracts both old fans back and new ones in.

A Fev Blog

#57 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

Yes, the away support, always hard to quantify is always a factor. Reasonable to assume that Rovers would attract plenty more of their own fans to face Leeds, Cas & Wigan than current Champiosnhip opposition.

In terms of the fans who walked away, 1995 was such a terrible time for the sport I wouldn't blame anyone for doing that. We can only hope that the current set up and onfield rugby attracts both old fans back and new ones in.

I wouldn't blame anybody, but I wouldn't sympathise with them either. people have the right to chooe. And again we don't know how many of therese people there were/are.
Keeping it local

#58 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

I wouldn't blame anybody, but I wouldn't sympathise with them either. people have the right to chooe. And again we don't know how many of therese people there were/are.

Again, a number hard to calculate, but it was obviously significant.

I would sympathise, actually. I sympathised with myself for a start. I felt angry and bitter for a while. It hurt. I was disillusioned. But then I got over it without actually ever 'walking away'. In the end, it's a great club and part of our lives.

A Fev Blog

#59 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

I would sympathise, actually. I sympathised with myself for a start. I felt angry and bitter for a while. It hurt. I was disillusioned. But then I got over it without actually ever 'walking away'. In the end, it's a great club and part of our lives.

You did better than me, I walked away in disgust at the game and what happened to it.

It took me a long, long time to get over it. The first game I saw after that was at Wakey, as a guest in a box in 2009. This lead me to watch the odd game on telly, but I was still in a sulk.

It wasn't until early last year that I came back and to be honest, I wish I'd never gone away. What happened was never Fev's fault, but it's Fev that have suffered from my sulk.

I'm trying like hell to get fellow sulkers back to the fold now, I've converted 2, just another 20 or so of my peer group to convince!

#60 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,955 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

Again, a number hard to calculate, but it was obviously significant.

oh i did. a proper sulk that had been coming since 96 arrived around 2002. I think i abstained from rovers for about 9-10 games.
I missed it too much. i missed my mates. i missed the craic. i missed the rugby. i still sulk and im still angry and i still won't support super league.
But im glad carol had enough of my moping around the house at weekends and hoofed me back fevwards!!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users