Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NCL 3 next season

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#1 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,017 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Anyway know what's going on there? There was supposed to be a recommendation of a new division for the NCL proper to replace this year's NCL3, which is quite frankly crumbling to dust. Anyone know what's happened there as sounds like there may be a problem?

#2 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Anyway know what's going on there? There was supposed to be a recommendation of a new division for the NCL proper to replace this year's NCL3, which is quite frankly crumbling to dust. Anyone know what's happened there as sounds like there may be a problem?

It's a problem, how can a club plan? How can a coach plan if they don't know what is happening with the league?

#3 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

BARLA will be running a conference in 2013/14
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#4 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,017 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

BARLA will be running a conference in 2013/14

They said that about 2011/12 and 2012/13 and will say the same about 2014/15. Irrelevant to the thread anyway.

#5 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Anyway know what's going on there?

Which rumour do you want? On my trips around the south east to watch various clubs play, I've heard
i There is going to be two seperate north and south/midlands divisions to replace NCL3
ii Northern clubs in the current NCL3 (plus a few others) are going to form a new 'northern league type NCL3' to replace current NCL3 andthe midlands/southern clubs will go back to their premierships.
iii NCL3 is being disbanded and nothing will be replacing it, current clubs to return to suitable leagues.
iv And the one which is probably true, there has been no decision made about anything yet.

Even if the exact details weren't worked out, a 'general outline' of next season would go a long way to let clubs, players and supporters to know what was happening.

At the last St Albans home game I went to, I stood with an old fella, in his 80's, who has become a rl fan. He told me he attends all the home games. He asked one of the committee members what was happening for next season, and got the reply `Sorry, but we don't know. We haven't a clue whats happening next seaon, no one has told us anything yet`.
His comment, `Its a bloody good game this, but what a way to run it.`

#6 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,017 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

There is a 4th (5th?) possibility of the NCL running their own division 3 with full minimum criteria as well. But yeah seems odd.

#7 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

Surely one of the problems is not knowing what's happening in CC1. The lack of a strategy cascades down from there.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#8 brooza

brooza
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

I've been told that Warrington Wizards are hoping for a national comp, they enjoy the long trips around the country and would be disappointed if they end up having to play in NWCL or similar
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#9 RichardJ

RichardJ
  • Coach
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Its pretty sad that we are still having this conversation not only this year but EVERY SINGLE YEAR that I have been involved in watching/playing rugby league in the Midlands for the last 20 odd years!

If only we had a single governing body that actually planned ahead and put some stability/structure into the game rather than the constant annual chopping and changing we always get the end of each and every season.

#10 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,017 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

Surely one of the problems is not knowing what's happening in CC1. The lack of a strategy cascades down from there.

Yes but it runs deeper. After CC1 have had their find then the NCL can try form a division 3 and only then can any further divisions be planned.

#11 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,017 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

The risk with a north/south split is that the North West and London clubs feel they have a better league locally and leave the Yorkshire, Midlands and South West clubs stranded or possibly defecting to stronger regions.

#12 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

Just read the following on the St Albans website, its the end of a match report but relevant to the topic, written by the team manager =

I AM PLEASED WITH THE COMMITMENTS MY PLAYERS HAVE PUT INTO THIS SEASON. IT WAS A BIG STEP UP INTO THE NATIONAL LEAGUE AND MY AIM AT THE START OF THE SEASON WAS TO FINISH IN THE TOP 6, BUT WE FAILED BY 1 POINT AND FINISHED 7TH. HOWEVER, THE RUGBY FOOTBALL LEAGUE ARE CHANGING THE STRUCTURE OF THE COMPETITION IN 2013 AND WE HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT WE MUST WAIT UNTIL DECEMBER TO SEE WHAT THE SET UP IS AND WHAT DIVISION CENTURIONS WILL BE PLAYING IN.

So 12 weeks before the start of the season they will tell us what is happening.

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#13 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,017 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

Just read the following on the St Albans website, its the end of a match report but relevant to the topic, written by the team manager =

I AM PLEASED WITH THE COMMITMENTS MY PLAYERS HAVE PUT INTO THIS SEASON. IT WAS A BIG STEP UP INTO THE NATIONAL LEAGUE AND MY AIM AT THE START OF THE SEASON WAS TO FINISH IN THE TOP 6, BUT WE FAILED BY 1 POINT AND FINISHED 7TH. HOWEVER, THE RUGBY FOOTBALL LEAGUE ARE CHANGING THE STRUCTURE OF THE COMPETITION IN 2013 AND WE HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT WE MUST WAIT UNTIL DECEMBER TO SEE WHAT THE SET UP IS AND WHAT DIVISION CENTURIONS WILL BE PLAYING IN.

So 12 weeks before the start of the season they will tell us what is happening.

12 weeks is a record early for them. Then again we usually know the format before then just not the specific participants. All that is clear is the current format is a non goer with CC1 and maybe NCL taking clubs and 3 clubs that can't raise a team

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

They said that about 2011/12 and 2012/13 and will say the same about 2014/15. Irrelevant to the thread anyway.

Mmmmm, Watch and shoot, Watch and shot!!!

#15 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,017 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

I was trying to explain to someone earlier that Coventry Bears could potentially move up 4 divisions but if they want to stay in the sane league they have to reapply, meet criteria and hope another 9 clubs do too. They thought it was odd and to be honest I can't blame them.

#16 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

Well, who is left in CL3 who wishes to keep going at that national level?

Coventry want to be in CC1
Nottingham want to be in the NCL proper, playing Northern teams (at least that's always been their preference)
St Albans want to continue in an CL3 type comp
Bristol want to continue in a CL3 type comp
South Wales may or may not exist next year
Hemel have moved up to CC1, though a second team/reserve grade might be an option (though Hemel might not want this)

In addiction, Northampton have applied to join the national leagues and are most keen on a southern conference type competition. Leicester have talked about this in the past but may have "gone backwards" this season.

Someone else mentioned Skolars seconds stepping up. There's also the possibility that Glos Warriors and All Golds may come to an arrangement about running a team at a higher level, as a kind of second team/reserve for the CC1 team.

Lots and ifs and buts, and only three teams who seem keen on CL3/Southern Conference. Pity, really, 'cos with the existing teams and a few more it could be a half decent division.

When I last spoke to David Gent at the RFL for RL World, he wasn't giving much away, other than that their preference is for the NCL to run a southern tier 3 division as part of the structure in 2013. What they want and what will happen might not be the same thing, mind.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#17 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,017 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

The RFL want a northern division and a southern division below NCL 2. The NCL want the northern division to be their division 3 with clubs meeting full criteria but appear to be struggling to make a full division. Only Underbank and Nottingham from the current NCL3 would appear suitable. Bristol and St Albans would also probably be up to scratch but the travelling would be very tough.

Edited by bowes, 06 September 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#18 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

The RFL want a northern division and a southern division below NCL 2. The NCL want the northern division to be their division 3 with clubs meeting full criteria but appear to be struggling to make a full division. Only Underbank and Nottingham from the current NCL3 would appear suitable. Bristol and St Albans would also probably be up to scratch but the travelling would be very tough.

And Coventry ?

NCL management meet on 12th to finalise recommendations for new members

#19 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,017 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

And Coventry ?

NCL management meet on 12th to finalise recommendations for new members

If not in CC1 then yes. My personal preference is NCL but expect the RFL will push CC1 hard. Don't know what way the club directors are thinking.

Ah that explains things, I must have missed the 1 when I saw the date of recommendation unless it's been put back.

Out of other rumoured applicants Kells, Hindley, Wigan St Cuthberts and especially Pilkington Recs convince me. I hope there have been some other strong applicants keeping their cards close to their chest.

Down south I expect Northampton would need tagging on to the existing premier south and presumably Bristol. Maybe Leicester. But the question is would the existing south premier teams stay up with the increased travelling. You could add St Albans and Hemel A no doubt.

Edited by bowes, 06 September 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#20 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

If not in CC1 then yes. My personal preference is NCL but expect the RFL will push CC1 hard. Don't know what way the club directors are thinking.

Ah that explains things, I must have missed the 1 when I saw the date of recommendation unless it's been put back.

Out of other rumoured applicants Kells, Hindley, Wigan St Cuthberts and especially Pilkington Recs convince me. I hope there have been some other strong applicants keeping their cards close to their chest.

Down south I expect Northampton would need tagging on to the existing premier south and presumably Bristol. Maybe Leicester. But the question is would the existing south premier teams stay up with the increased travelling. You could add St Albans and Hemel A no doubt.

Pilks will get in, Didn't one of the RFL overseers once play for them :wub: