• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#21 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,904 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

Pilks will get in, Didn't one of the RFL overseers once play for them :wub:

I expect they're the strongest applicant or at least top few so don't need outside help.

#22 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

Pilks will get in, Didn't one of the RFL overseers once play for them :wub:

Pilks will only get in if they meet the minimum criterea, which i hope they do as ive fond memories of previous encounters.

ps nothing to do who the rfl ex-player overseer is.

#23 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

Pilks will only get in if they meet the minimum criterea, which i hope they do as ive fond memories of previous encounters.

I've fond memories of playing all over but I can't see fond memories on the criteria.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#24 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

Neil Wood played full back for them and was the first player of the year for the then Barla National League in its inaugural season.....

#25 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,904 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

And Coventry ?

NCL management meet on 12th to finalise recommendations for new members

Are these recommendations available yet?

#26 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

Are these recommendations available yet?

Will be better off asking the RFL

#27 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,904 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Will be better off asking the RFL

Nonsense. The RFL didn't even want the NCL to set up a division 3, they wanted to run their own comp.

#28 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

Nonsense. The RFL didn't even want the NCL to set up a division 3, they wanted to run their own comp.

Really because thats contradicting the reason I was given why; RLCN are portrayed on the RFL run NCL website as NCL3 ;)

#29 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,904 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

Really because thats contradicting the reason I was given why; RLCN are portrayed on the RFL run NCL website as NCL3 ;)

That was a badge of convenience. It was never the RFL's plan. The original plan was to replace it with 3 regional divisions (North West, North East and South) but with the lack of interest in summer from Yorkshire clubs the plan I believe changed to north and south. I think the RFL are happy for the NCL to take the northern branch (and happy for it to have Coventry and Nottingham in, though maybe they'd prefer the former in Championship 1, maybe not) but it wasn't the original plan. In practice a Conference South is far from certain and the NCL can let in who they choose

Edited by bowes, 13 September 2012 - 06:27 AM.

#30 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

That was a badge of convenience. It was never the RFL's plan. The original plan was to replace it with 3 regional divisions (North West, North East and South) but with the lack of interest in summer from Yorkshire clubs the plan I believe changed to north and south. I think the RFL are happy for the NCL to take the northern branch (and happy for it to have Coventry and Nottingham in, though maybe they'd prefer the former in Championship 1, maybe not) but it wasn't the original plan. In practice a Conference South is far from certain and the NCL can let in who they choose

There's at least one new outfit who have been in discussions with the RFL about entering the proposed "Conference South". Actually more north than midlands or south, but they wish to be in a "Tier 3 development league" rather than the NCL. From what I hear a lot hinges on whether the RFL and NCL can come to some kind of compromise about having "dual registered" players in Tier 3 - e.g academy and fringe players signed to Championship and Championship 1 clubs. It would make some sense and potentially allow for people like the All Golds, Hemel (should they wish) etc to run a second team in Conference South.

The driving force behind this proposed new club is a university, rather than an existing club. It would be run in partnership with some of the coaching team from a Championship/Championship 1 club.

Where there's a will, there's a way. I suspect that's what the RFL (and David Gent in particular) are thinking when it comes to Conference South. I'm sure they'd rather the NCL ran it, though - they've been "in discussions" on and off for about six months about this
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#31 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,904 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

I guess if the NCL ran it there'd need to be full criteria eg someone like Hammersmith Hillshoists without juniors couldn't join. Whereas the RFL could relax them just far enough to get 10 teams say.

#32 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

If the NCL ran it along with a NCL3 then the increase in workload on the committee would require someone to be in fulltime employment.

#33 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,904 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

I also wouldn't be totally surprised if Warrington Wizards asked to play in a Conference South though not sure whether we should go down that route.

#34 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,904 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

There's at least one new outfit who have been in discussions with the RFL about entering the proposed "Conference South". Actually more north than midlands or south, but they wish to be in a "Tier 3 development league" rather than the NCL. From what I hear a lot hinges on whether the RFL and NCL can come to some kind of compromise about having "dual registered" players in Tier 3 - e.g academy and fringe players signed to Championship and Championship 1 clubs. It would make some sense and potentially allow for people like the All Golds, Hemel (should they wish) etc to run a second team in Conference South.

The driving force behind this proposed new club is a university, rather than an existing club. It would be run in partnership with some of the coaching team from a Championship/Championship 1 club.

Where there's a will, there's a way. I suspect that's what the RFL (and David Gent in particular) are thinking when it comes to Conference South. I'm sure they'd rather the NCL ran it, though - they've been "in discussions" on and off for about six months about this

Just wondering here but if the NCL didn't allow fringe Championship players to join would there be a northern league at tier 3 below the NCL that did? Could be the saving grace for Bramley and Kippax but maybe also the likes of Birstall, Sheffield Hillsborough Hawks etc. With Fryston and Warrington Wizards as standalone clubs and direct Championship reserve teams if clubs want them? This university would then slot in there. Maybe it would work, maybe not but an idea.

#35 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

I wonder if the current transport benefits (cash incetives to move to summer) to clubs, be split between more clubs thus reducing the amount that will be payed to current NCL members? I bet David Gent will lnow this answer and it would be one of the questions I'd be asking the NCL management committee.

#36 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 974 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

Just wondering here but if the NCL didn't allow fringe Championship players to join would there be a northern league at tier 3 below the NCL that did? Could be the saving grace for Bramley and Kippax but maybe also the likes of Birstall, Sheffield Hillsborough Hawks etc. With Fryston and Warrington Wizards as standalone clubs and direct Championship reserve teams if clubs want them? This university would then slot in there. Maybe it would work, maybe not but an idea.

Don think this Uni AND Hillsborough would both put a team in ;-)

#37 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

Don think this Uni AND Hillsborough would both put a team in ;-)

So it's a Sheffield uni?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#38 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Maybe call it Tier 3a :rolleyes:

#39 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,904 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Looks like the following clubs are in NCL3 next year subject to clubs voting them in:

Kells
Peterlee Pumas
Barrow Island
Pilkington Recs
Wigan St Cuthberts
Hindley
Huddersfield Underbank Rangers
Coventry Bears
Nottingham Outlaws

Presumably they'd be joined by bottom of division 2 unless a 10th team can be found. Having said that Coventry Bears may join Championship 1.

Edited by bowes, 16 September 2012 - 08:15 PM.

#40 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 561 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

Peterlee's a great one - a club that's been building organically for a good few years now, and I believe will be the first club from the NE region to play at tier 3. Helps fill the gap between York and Gateshead at a higher level, probably not quite enough to be called a local derby for Heworth though :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users