Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NCL 3 next season

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#41 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

Peterlee's a great one - a club that's been building organically for a good few years now, and I believe will be the first club from the NE region to play at tier 3. Helps fill the gap between York and Gateshead at a higher level, probably not quite enough to be called a local derby for Heworth though :)

Gateshead Storm used to play in NL3/RLCN but got axed after the 2009 season for calling off too many games. There was supposed to be a Gateshead Lightning team in 2011 but never worked so Peterlee will fill a niche in the NE and are a well run club.

#42 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

Good point, forgot about them.

#43 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

Looks like the following clubs are in NCL3 next year subject to clubs voting them in:

Kells
Peterlee Pumas
Barrow Island
Pilkington Recs
Wigan St Cuthberts
Hindley
Huddersfield Underbank Rangers
Coventry Bears
Nottingham Outlaws

Presumably they'd be joined by bottom of division 2 unless a 10th team can be found. Having said that Coventry Bears may join Championship 1.

What's the latest on Coventry joining CC1? Is it on the cards?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#44 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

Looks like the following clubs are in NCL3 next year subject to clubs voting them in:

Kells
Peterlee Pumas
Barrow Island
Pilkington Recs
Wigan St Cuthberts
Hindley
Coventry Bears
Nottingham Outlaws

Presumably they'd be joined by bottom of division 2 unless a 10th team can be found. Having said that Coventry Bears may join Championship 1.

I'm assuming that South Wales were not asked to compete due to the number of games they called off, but what will be happening to Bristol, St Albans and Bramley? Anyone know?

#45 brooza

brooza
  • 4,254 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

I'm assuming that South Wales were not asked to compete due to the number of games they called off, but what will be happening to Bristol, St Albans and Bramley? Anyone know?

Probably don't reach NCL standards.

Also no mention of Warry

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#46 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

Bramley fail every NCL criteria imaginable as do South Wales Hornets. Warrington Wizards fail the junior criteria. Kippax only got rejected due to not fulfilling fixtures I believe as they'd been pencilled in.

As for Bristol and St Albans (and Northampton) I suspect it's geographical and they're wanted for the proposed Conference South.

#47 stupid

stupid
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

Bowes, You really do open your mouth without engaging your brain dont you.Another sweeping statement that Bramley fail every NCL criteria!! Do you actually know what the criteria is that they fail? There are other teams in the NCL who dont meet criteria and have been given a years grace to come up to the required standard.

Which criteria do Bramley fail on ? And which of the criteria do they meet ?

And how do you hope to know what south wales are going to do ?
How do you know if warrington have plans for junior development ...you do not so lets stop making assumptions and sweeping statements when you have not got a clue whether they are correct or not ,

#48 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

The criteria are on the NCL website and Bramley and Wizards haven't been accepted.

Bramley fail the criteria of not having reserves, not having juniors and not being able to fulfil first team fixtures. The ground meets criteria as it is rented from Stanningley. 2 clubs in one ground isn't ideal but is possible to overcome as other clubs share albeit with other sports. Wizards have a good open age set up so if they had juniors they'd be in in a second.

I would suggest you are the one that doesn't know what you're talking about and match your name. Also why on Earth would a March to October league admit a club that only exists May to August?

Edited by bowes, 17 September 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#49 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Bowes, You really do open your mouth without engaging your brain dont you. Another sweeping statement that Bramley fail every NCL criteria!!

Dont mind Bowes, he's excitable and surmises a lot.

Bramley fail on 2 counts

Clubs applying for or seeking to retain membership of the National Conference League must:
Have achieved Clubmark status.
Operate with a minimum of two open age teams essentially linked to a youth and junior section - including a team at the highest level and a mini-mod structure.

#50 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

Dont mind Bowes, he's excitable and surmises a lot.

Bramley fail on 2 counts

Clubs applying for or seeking to retain membership of the National Conference League must:
Have achieved Clubmark status.
Operate with a minimum of two open age teams essentially linked to a youth and junior section - including a team at the highest level and a mini-mod structure.

This latter criterion has been relaxed as it used to read 6 junior teams including one at U18s but presumably many existing clubs fell short. The changing of the wording was well before the switch to summer.

It may be 2 points but hardly the easiest ones to meet. Don't know the ins and outs of Clubmark but reserves and juniors is a major thing to do.

#51 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

This latter criterion has been relaxed as it used to read 6 junior teams including one at U18s but presumably many existing clubs fell short. The changing of the wording was well before the switch to summer.

It may be 2 points but hardly the easiest ones to meet. Don't know the ins and outs of Clubmark but reserves and juniors is a major thing to do.

Clubmark is part of thye minimum criterea.

#52 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Clubmark is part of thye minimum criterea.

I know was just saying I don't know what it requires though probably not a small process.

#53 The knowledge

The knowledge
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

No argument with NCL they have their rules - though possibly could be relaxed in the circumstances but obviously not to be. My thanks go to the RL for seemiimgly abandoning Bramley, Kippax & Warrington plus to some extent St Albans & Bristol. Countless hours of work by limited numbers of unpaid committee men/women wasted with no league to play in and extinction on the cards. Bowes you must be made up!! I trust Stanningly will survive the potentially massive hole in their 2012 budget.

#54 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

Kells
Peterlee Pumas
Barrow Island
Pilkington Recs
Wigan St Cuthberts
Hindley
Coventry Bears
Nottingham Outlaws

The pleasing thing about that list is the development of Peterlee, Coventry and Nottingham - clubs from outside of the traditional heartlands that have grown from the 'bottom-up' and are now at a standard where they can join the elite of the community game (and not just tier three but NCL).

This sort of development is needed in the non-heartland areas but it all too often promising clubs seem to slip back. This trio of clubs have shown that progress is possible.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#55 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Kippax shot themselves in the foot. They had their application recommended for acceptance last year then went and called off 3 away games and had this removed.

Wizards have a decent enough tier 4 league to play in the NW Men's premier thigh they'd probably be top 3. Bramley and Kippax have to decide if they want to join Fryston and Birstall (and who knows who else) in a Yorkshire premier.

#56 The knowledge

The knowledge
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

Bowes can't see Coventry Bears as clubmark accredited on clubmark data base hope the application form was completed accurately and was thoroughly vetted by NCL or maybe national database is incomplete!!!??

#57 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

Bowes can't see Coventry Bears as clubmark accredited on clubmark data base hope the application form was completed accurately and was thoroughly vetted by NCL or maybe national database is incomplete!!!??

Presumably that's one thing they'll let you work towards. Having no players with you as first choice isn't something they'll turn a blind eye to.

Clearly the NCL only want a club that can commit to a full season. I wish Bramley every success in joining a short summer season.

Edited by bowes, 17 September 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#58 The knowledge

The knowledge
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

Well well after all you have said Coventry also do not fullfilll the criteria double standards or what. Rules only on apply when NCL wish to apply them i smell a conspiracy.

Ps Pilkingtons also appear to also be allowed the same flexibility

#59 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Well well after all you have said Coventry also do not fullfilll the criteria double standards or what. Rules only on apply when NCL wish to apply them i smell a conspiracy.

Ps Pilkingtons also appear to also be allowed the same flexibility

FFS comparing not having a certificate to being a club with no players.

The criteria are there to ensure clubs can operate in the NCL. We know with 100% certainty Bramley couldn't fulfil the fixtures whereas we know with maybe 95% certainty Coventry Bears can (I don't say 100 because any club can have unforseen mishaps).

Edited by bowes, 17 September 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#60 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Presumably that's one thing they'll let you work towards. Having no players with you as first choice isn't something they'll turn a blind eye to.

Clearly the NCL only want a club that can commit to a full season. I wish Bramley every success in joining a short summer season.

That would possibly be correct the NCL have in the past allowed clubs into the league without clubmark but they must be in the process of obtaining it. The NCL want strong CLUBS in the league not just teams that maybe strong for a couple of seasons then either disband or are not able to fullfil fixtures due to a shortage of players. Thats why all clubs have to have a number of other teams within their ranks to keep the progression going for years to come.
This is not always easy and it is very hard work to achieve and maintain. We have had a couple of games called off this season in the NCL which I am sure the management will have already sorted out. If they allowed teams into the league without a proper open-age youth and junior structure in place this would happen on a regular basic's. So I would say to any club that wishes to join the NCL. Setup a open-age 2nd team get some juniors and get a youth team, And once you have got all that make sure you fullfil all your fixtures for a few years then apply!! Until then dream on!!!!!!!!

Edited by old papa, 17 September 2012 - 06:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users