TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

NCL 3 next season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
198 replies to this topic

#61 The knowledge

The knowledge
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

Pick and choose the rules you apply and anarchy prevails. Weve completed more seasons in top flight than all but warrington with 5 grand finals played into October and challenge cup/ northern rail in feb/march, that long enough a season? As you well know summer season tier 4 is a joke as so few fixtures with matches cancelled it simply wouldn't pay the rent. You may say right place for us but I choose to disagree.

#62 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 998 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Bowes can't see Coventry Bears as clubmark accredited on clubmark data base hope the application form was completed accurately and was thoroughly vetted by NCL or maybe national database is incomplete!!!??

Its currently being validated by the RFL.

#63 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

I agree Bramley Have had a good team for a few seasons but so have a lot of other clubs in the winter leagues that have not been able to get in the NCL.
Bramley have struggled in the last couple of seasons due to the reasons why the NCL only want strong Clubs. ( Lack of players) All clubs struggle at times with numbers but that is why you need backup from your reserves and youth. With regards to the tier 4 been a joke if Bramley and Kippax entered it would have at least 2 more decent sides to compete in it which is a step in the right direction. If both Bramley and Kippax want to be a NCL Club in the future are to be taken seriously they firstly need to play March to September and fullfil all their fixtures. But that is another problem all the old RLC teams from Yorkshire they only want a May to September season due to the fact that they rely on both winter players and RU players to bolster their ranks. And they would be unable to fullfil fixtures for a full season.

Edited by old papa, 17 September 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#64 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

I agree Bramley Have had a good team for a few seasons but so have a lot of other clubs in the winter leagues that have not been able to get in the NCL.
Bramley have struggled in the last couple of seasons due to the reasons why the NCL only want strong Clubs. ( Lack of players) All clubs struggle at times with numbers but that is why you need backup from your reserves and youth. With regards to the tier 4 been a joke if Bramley and Kippax entered it would have at least 2 more decent sides to compete in it which is a step in the right direction. If both Bramley and Kippax want to be a NCL Club in the future are to be taken seriously they firstly need to play March to September and fullfil all their fixtures. But that is another problem all the old RLC teams from Yorkshire they only want a May to September season due to the fact that they rely on both winter players and RU players to bolster their ranks. And they would be unable to fullfil fixtures for a full season.

We where probably the only side in the RLC who could have played a full March to September season.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#65 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,244 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

We where probably the only side in the RLC who could have played a full March to September season.

To tell the truth the sad thing about the demise of Bramley is the were started by decent people like Cliff Spracklen and Martyn Cheney and they did once legitimately be able to field a strong team but sadly they attracted toxic elements and never managed to retain their own players in the end, in part this was a legitimate failing of the division only provided a 5 month season which wasn't enough. A few years ago the club looked a ground away from Championship 1, now they're in a bad state.

More than you could field a team for a full season (unless you just mean the local Yorkshire division?) but never got a chance.

#66 The knowledge

The knowledge
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

Dont disagree with your post apart from the toxic element which I've not seen. Main reason for demise is RL not keeping to original promises of promotion through to pro ranks once league got going. When RL renaged & started to move the goal posts bringing in teams like Essex, Carlisle and Liverpool etc that weren't up to it the writing was on the wall & the quality players left to pursue other avenues -who can blame them. The future looks bleak but perhaps like a Phoenix Bramley will rise again.

#67 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,244 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Dont disagree with your post apart from the toxic element which I've not seen. Main reason for demise is RL not keeping to original promises of promotion through to pro ranks once league got going. When RL renaged & started to move the goal posts bringing in teams like Essex, Carlisle and Liverpool etc that weren't up to it the writing was on the wall & the quality players left to pursue other avenues -who can blame them. The future looks bleak but perhaps like a Phoenix Bramley will rise again.

A minority of Bramley's players and spectators have made a bad image for the rest of the club IMO but yeah it was mostly a bad league that caused the problem as the Bramley of a few years ago would have been looking at joining the expanded Championship 1. The troublesome spectators seem to be mostly give this year though

Hope some guise of Bramley can return as it's a big name though probably will be different to this incarnation. With the RFL wanting a 14 team Championship 1 at some point maybe some backing and Farsley Celtic's ground may work at that level (though won't be Buffaloes IMO) even with the RFL wanting Medway and an East Midlands club that would leave 2 other potential places.

Edited by bowes, 18 September 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#68 The knowledge

The knowledge
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

Only time will give the answer. Some fans may have given others a bad impression but they were passionate supporters who had been through a lot over the years. Farsley was the original plan then Morley but the RL wern't happy and never really gave reasons why. Best of luck Sat by all accounts the call is out across the hudds pennine league sides for all 'Underbanks' players. Back to the winter pennine league how I love those bygone days of mud, steam and fags at half time!

#69 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,244 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

IMO the RFL don't want more heartland teams hence the rejection of the bids from Warrington Wizards and Rochdale Mayfield. IMO this is a false division that unbalances leagues.

#70 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

Only time will give the answer. Some fans may have given others a bad impression but they were passionate supporters who had been through a lot over the years. Farsley was the original plan then Morley but the RL wern't happy and never really gave reasons why. Best of luck Sat by all accounts the call is out across the hJudds pennine league sides for all 'Underbanks' players. Back to the winter pennine league how I love those bygone days of mud, steam and fags at half time!

With all due respect I've heard some Bramley fans come out with some awful comments at games.

#71 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

No argument with NCL they have their rules - though possibly could be relaxed in the circumstances but obviously not to be. My thanks go to the RL for seemiimgly abandoning Bramley, Kippax & Warrington plus to some extent St Albans & Bristol. Countless hours of work by limited numbers of unpaid committee men/women wasted with no league to play in and extinction on the cards.

I wouldn't say we've been abandoned. I still think CL3 will exist next year, and will feature many of the same teams plus some newcomers. There are a few who want to enter and it's possible that clubs that have been accepted by the NCL will commit to playing in a similar type of division to the one that existed this year.

Everything at the moment is just speculation. For the record, we applied for NCL but I think the geographic thing was the big problem, not standards. To be honest it's unlikely you'd want to travel down to Bristol if you're used to games 10, 20 or 30 miles away. Understandable.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#72 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,244 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

So do you reckon we'll see a NCL4 rather than Conference South? Probably would be Yorkshire plus South (plus Wizards) as not necessarily going to attract clubs from the NW Men's league.

Edited by bowes, 19 September 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#73 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

So do you reckon we'll see a NCL4 rather than Conference South? Probably would be Yorkshire plus South (plus Wizards) as not necessarily going to attract clubs from the NW Men's league.

The RFL has a duty to provide Tier 3 competition for all those that want it, and that includes those in the Midlands and South/outside the NCL sphere of influence. In addition, they have stated that they wish, in future, for there to be at least one Tier 3 club in each region. Given that there's also a desire in certain regions (for example the Midlands) to remove particularly strong Tier 4 teams and push them up to Tier 3, it is likely that some kind of compromise will be found.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a League containing Bristol, St Albans, Northampton, Leicester, a Sheffield team, another club from the South (possibly Skolars A), a club from the East, the Wizards and the Midlands teams who have been accepted into the NCL structure. We'll have to wait and see. That would be 10 teams and therefore viable.

No idea what will happen to South Wales. Hopefully they'll survive, but they had a hard time this season and struggled with travelling etc. The proposed entrants - especially Northampton and the proposed Sheffield side - would not have this issue as they'd either have the backing of a uni/semi pro club (Sheffield) or are strong clubs (Northampton). I've deliberately left Leicester out of the equation as although they're relatively strong, they weren't nearly as strong this year as last year - though they have a good junior structure and seem to be moving forward as a club.
www.bristolsonics.com

#74 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,244 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

Incidentally you'd have a serious problem if you took any of the NCL applicants out of that league and into a new one as there would no longer be the numbers for division 3. I know we wouldn't join a southern league and I'd be very surprised if Nottingham did.

#75 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

I wouldn't say we've been abandoned. I still think CL3 will exist next year, and will feature many of the same teams plus some newcomers. There are a few who want to enter and it's possible that clubs that have been accepted by the NCL will commit to playing in a similar type of division to the one that existed this year.

Everything at the moment is just speculation. For the record, we applied for NCL but I think the geographic thing was the big problem, not standards. To be honest it's unlikely you'd want to travel down to Bristol if you're used to games 10, 20 or 30 miles away. Understandable.

Understandable but makes a mockery of the "National" part of the name. Whilst I respect the NCL as a league - its commitment to standards in particular - in a way it is part of the problem that our game has in establishing a proper pyramid structure. not that I have a solution to that problem and I can see why clubs who are in the NCL don't want to compromise it and themsleves for what may or may not be a greater good.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#76 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

If Nottingham are rejected by the NCL they won't have much choice about joining a "southern" division. Coventry is a different problem - will they or won't they be semi-pro? If not, will the NCL accept them? If not will they join a Southern Tier 3 knowing that a bunch of good players could be eyeing up places at Gloucester, Oxford and Hemel? Or just collapse into tier 4?

All of this trickles all the way down to lowly clubs like ours. We also have no idea what league we might be offered at Open Age.

Join us next week for the seemingly never ending saga of RL re-organisation.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#77 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

Incidentally you'd have a serious problem if you took any of the NCL applicants out of that league and into a new one as there would no longer be the numbers for division 3. I know we wouldn't join a southern league and I'd be very surprised if Nottingham did.

That makes me chuckle. Maybe you're not as well connected and knowledgeable as you think, then.
www.bristolsonics.com

#78 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,244 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

Understandable but makes a mockery of the "National" part of the name. Whilst I respect the NCL as a league - its commitment to standards in particular - in a way it is part of the problem that our game has in establishing a proper pyramid structure. not that I have a solution to that problem and I can see why clubs who are in the NCL don't want to compromise it and themsleves for what may or may not be a greater good.

Ideally they'd add Bristol, St Albans and Northampton to a full size division 3. But the problem is a league with them plus Peterlee, Kells and Barrow Island would be a nightmare so not an easy one unless they can get a Conference South.

#79 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,244 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

That makes me chuckle. Maybe you're not as well connected and knowledgeable as you think, then.

Last time I asked Nottingham they were horrified at the prospect but maybe they were expecting a more southern biased league than would now appear likely. Still brings us back to the problem of what the NCL can do with division 3 and where the other applicants would play if it falls through. The likes of Pilkington Recs, Wigan St Cuthberts etc wouldn't leave their local league just to play against Bramley and Kippax.

Edited by bowes, 20 September 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#80 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

As the Sonics have brought their Application onto the forum I can tell you that distance of travel was not the issue , but I will not be drawn further.. Obviously distances have to be taken into account. But Hemel were in the NCL before. And it is a big ask to put amateurs on a 10 hour round trip ever other week ..... The NCL will NOT tolerate fixture failures without massive credible reasons.

The RFL ( the governing Body after all ) are seeking to invigorate Tier 3 with a Midlands Division comprising clubs aspiring to NCL standards who in some cases may still be a touch off the mark.That said the NCL template remains the best way forward for the game at these levels . That is not to say that other models in certain areas - new CC1 clubs for instance could perhaps be allowed to enter reserves into Tier 3 as pilots and without all the sub-structures - a lot of debate to be had I suspect in those infamous corridors.......

The NCL in the meantime have brought forward the voting on new applicants by months to monday in the hope that a start can be made on the structure everywhere for next year.

Yes Tim2 . Someone needs to take the lead and the NCL doesn't need to grow what it has never lost...... :blink: