Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NCL 3 next season

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#121 stupid

stupid
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

I believe the RFL plan remains for a Midlands based Tier 3 competition . Some of the clubs you mention are just short of the exacting criteria for NCL , others well off and some have failed fixtures during their application process.. The RFL standards may be sufficiently relaxed to get that moving now the NCL vote has taken place.

The new clubs have until next wednesday to accept their invitation . The acceptances are flying back already .Coventry and Nottingham in particular I suspect have this conundrum - is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush ? North to security and quality of fixture and administration , or stay where they are in the hope that a re-brand will satisfy their various ambitions...............

#122 stupid

stupid
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

So obviously being in the know and at the aforesaid meeting you state that some clubs mentioned fall way short of the criteria are nearly there and some have failed fixtures in the application period. Are you prepared to say who failed on what ? When some clubs that were accepted also fail the "exacting" criteria. I am led to believe that wizards were turned down on playing strength, I don't think that they have ever failed a fixture. And Bramley were turned down because they ground share with another nil club ? Which I believe has happened in the ncl before. And Bramley failed to fulfil 1 fixture in the application process. I hope you will be able to post the answers on here and not in some breach of protocol , thanks

Edited by stupid, 25 September 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#123 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,752 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

Wizards failed due to not running junior sides I imagine. Playing standard can't have been an issue, surely?

Bristol and Northampton were the closest out of the applicants I would imagine as I can't think where they fail. Though Kippax and I believe Rylands have good set ups and failed due to lack of open age players.

South Wales Hornets should be obvious and the reasons for Bramley's failure are discussed elsewhere. Just one fixture is enough for rejection but lack of reserves, junior and own ground were other factors.

Bank Quay Bulls fail on the ground but are otherwise strong. As for Mancunians WTF did they apply for? They're a merit league club FFS.

Del Capo will know much more than me but can't comment because of his position. I'm applying the criteria to the applicant clubs.

#124 stupid

stupid
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Bowes there has only been you banging the drum about why Bramley should not have been allowed in

#125 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,752 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

Bowes there has only been you banging the drum about why Bramley should not have been allowed in

No. I'm the only one prepared to state the obvious.

#126 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

No. I'm the only one prepared to state the obvious.

Fix
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#127 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

Not True.

They have no reserves, no juniors, no club mark, shared ground ,playing strengths questionable, un fullfilled fixtures.
In fact its quite supriseing their allowed in any league.

#128 stupid

stupid
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Longman .... Sorry forgot about you yes we have not run a second team for a few years now but were hoping to start that again, juniors we have not got buffalo juniors I agree bit we are aligned with a local club and have done some work with them this year, the criteria does not say that you have to actually have a junior set up if you read it , clubmark no we have not got that , we were working toward it and as 4 of the teams have not got it I don't think that holds water. Unfulfilled fixtures yes 1 this year and 2 last year looking back in the last 2 years of ncl results there are some 24-0 scores so it looks at some time other teams have struggled. But fir the previous 7 seasons I don't think that we did too badly the record speaks fir itself. You state the obvious about the groundshare but didn't 2 Leigh teams share a couple of seasons ago and don't stanningley and Milford both share with the rhinos and Coventry with an union club ? So what's the problem there. I do think that Bramley and wizards have been sold short by the rl as they have travelled the length and breadth of England and Wales in the last few years spreading the game. Some teams tried and failed to keep going in this league and fell by the wayside Essex Gateshead Manchester Coventry all come to mind but wizards and Bramley kept at it( as did Hemel and underbank) but others came and went. Do I sound bitter well yes I am stitched up I think we have been but to here people on here berate a team of volunteers who picked a club up and got it playing again well they just have not got a clue,

#129 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

How did Coventry fall by the wayside?????
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#130 stupid

stupid
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

They dropped out of the ncl , I think for a couple of seasons then came back in, think they were going through a bit of a bad patch no doubt bowes will put me straight

#131 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,752 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

They dropped out of the ncl , I think for a couple of seasons then came back in, think they were going through a bit of a bad patch no doubt bowes will put me straight

Pretty much right yeah we dropped down a division after 2005 to start junior development and build up as the club at the time had no roots. Plus the club was near bankruptcy with the travel costs. We also had the same problem Bramley have in reliance on winter players albeit from RU. Thankfully we made that division but we had to step back up when we did or else it would have been to waste.

#132 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

They did go out of the RLCN and it was around the time they lost their main sponsor so their coach (Troy) went to Hemel.

#133 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

That's hardly the same as Essex Eels or Manchester.

#134 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

http://www.code13rug...medium=facebook

Two points:

1. They weren't really competing in the NCL
2. Because there is no true pyramid, you don't have to go through the NCL to become a pro club. In fact, preparing a strategy to be a CC1 club and preparing a strategy to be an NCL club are two quite different things. A strategy of just running a first team and relying on other clubs to develop players is what most CC1 clubs do, not what NCL clubs do.

Edited by tim2, 26 September 2012 - 08:41 AM.

#135 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Another piece of quality research ;-)

I almost phoned you yesterday, but it would probably have turned into me moaning down the phone for about half an hour, so decided you could probably do without that ;)
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#136 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,752 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

Incidentally it's not necessarily the NCL expansion that killed the league as Hemel were going Championship 1, St Albans were probably dropping a division anyway and Kippax and South Wales Hornets would have been expelled anyway. Though would 4 new teams have been found?

#137 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Longman .... Sorry forgot about you yes we have not run a second team for a few years now but were hoping to start that again, juniors we have not got buffalo juniors I agree bit we are aligned with a local club and have done some work with them this year, the criteria does not say that you have to actually have a junior set up if you read it , clubmark no we have not got that , we were working toward it and as 4 of the teams have not got it I don't think that holds water. Unfulfilled fixtures yes 1 this year and 2 last year looking back in the last 2 years of ncl results there are some 24-0 scores so it looks at some time other teams have struggled. But fir the previous 7 seasons I don't think that we did too badly the record speaks fir itself. You state the obvious about the groundshare but didn't 2 Leigh teams share a couple of seasons ago and don't stanningley and Milford both share with the rhinos and Coventry with an union club ? So what's the problem there. I do think that Bramley and wizards have been sold short by the rl as they have travelled the length and breadth of England and Wales in the last few years spreading the game. Some teams tried and failed to keep going in this league and fell by the wayside Essex Gateshead Manchester Coventry all come to mind but wizards and Bramley kept at it( as did Hemel and underbank) but others came and went. Do I sound bitter well yes I am stitched up I think we have been but to here people on here berate a team of volunteers who picked a club up and got it playing again well they just have not got a clue,

Paragraphs are your friend you know, don't be afraid to use them...
Posted Image

#138 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,752 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

http://www.code13rug...medium=facebook

Two points:

1. They weren't really competing in the NCL
2. Because there is no true pyramid, you don't have to go through the NCL to become a pro club. In fact, preparing a strategy to be a CC1 club and preparing a strategy to be an NCL club are two quite different things. A strategy of just running a first team and relying on other clubs to develop players is what most CC1 clubs do, not what NCL clubs do.

I stated clearly why Bramley failed the criteria and got my comment deleted and blocked from further comment. Obviously someone wants to perpetuate a lie.

#139 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

Incidentally it's not necessarily the NCL expansion that killed the league as Hemel were going Championship 1, St Albans were probably dropping a division anyway and Kippax and South Wales Hornets would have been expelled anyway. Though would 4 new teams have been found?

You don't half change your tunes. :wacko:

#140 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,752 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

You don't half change your tunes. :wacko:

Not at all. I've always claimed the RLCN and NCL3 was flawed, just thought it the least bad option. I bought into the original NL3 dream as a new fan of the game but it soon fell apart.

Edited by bowes, 26 September 2012 - 01:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users