Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 Birchy

Birchy
  • Coach
  • 818 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

http://www.loverugby..._medium=twitter

Hope the link works, if not paste it into your Browser.

Salford borrow a million quid from the council to keep going by the sound of it. Clubs are going bust to try and get these brand new huge Capacity stadiums that only a handfull of clubs can fill. Idiocy. They need a more stable, steady club in superleague in my opinion. There's one in fev!

UP THE ROVERS!

#2 GARY....S

GARY....S
  • Coach
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

Salford can admit to this now because after the sheeeiiit with Bradford they know they will not get punished ...c*s wakey next

"somebody pinch me I must be dreaming"

" TK ROVERS TO THE MAXX "

Posted Image

#3 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

Well lots of Nonrelegation clubs are in the doo doo despite franchising.

Now on Thursday to help your club achieve it's ultimate ambition your club should announce a crowd of over 6000.

Then for the semi announce 5000 for your game with Fev or Sheffield.

That would assist you surely and also help 2 other Championship clubs at the same time. ;)

Edited by frankb, 11 September 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#4 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

We won't need to announce a figure for the the second semi, will leave that up to you v sheff or fax (delete as appropriate) ;)

Can't see more than 250 turning up on Thursday night, wot with it being a shared gate n all that :P
The weak conform, the strong survive.

#5 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

Well Sidnee I can't believe why a supporter of an ambitious club like yours would doubt the intention of my post (oops despite my edit I put Fev not Fax)which was made with the sole intention of assisting Faisal with his ideas on raising Rovers profile.

A Leyther goes out of his way to help and he gets indirectly mocked for his suggestion. This is systematic of what is wrong with you Yorkies.

Still I am a forgiving young man and will speak to you on Thursday if I see you.

I would have added a wink but for some reason I can't get the smileys to work.

#6 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

Well Sidnee I can't believe why a supporter of an ambitious club like yours would doubt the intention of my post (oops despite my edit I put Fev not Fax)which was made with the sole intention of assisting Faisal with his ideas on raising Rovers profile.

A Leyther goes out of his way to help and he gets indirectly mocked for his suggestion. This is systematic of what is wrong with you Yorkies.

Still I am a forgiving young man and will speak to you on Thursday if I see you.

I would have added a wink but for some reason I can't get the smileys to work.

Your stupidity never ceases to amaze me, you and that clown of a mate of yours. How you get the day passes from that Care Home in Weaste I do not know.

#7 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

We break em out for special occasions :D

#8 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

We break em out for special occasions :D

That is care in the community gone too far. You should be prosecuted, and I don't care what badges Robin holds

#9 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

A gold Blue Peter one ;)

#10 pont rover

pont rover
  • Coach
  • 455 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

It looks like Hull KR can be added to the list of super league clubs struggling with their finances.

http://www.thisishul....uk/rugbyleague

#11 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

from what i'm reading and what what i'm hearing from people within the game, superleague is going into freefall and i wouldn't be surprised if some clubs don't make it through next season. this will no doubt impact on the lower divisions. some s/l clubs are only running u19s next season, which means they can't accommodate all the players from this seasons u18s and u20s, which will see a lot of these lads released or sent out on loan to championship clubs. it's time self interest was set aside and administrators were brought in from the nrl to sort this mess out.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#12 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Well lots of Nonrelegation clubs are in the doo doo despite franchising.

Now on Thursday to help your club achieve it's ultimate ambition your club should announce a crowd of over 6000.

Then for the semi announce 5000 for your game with Fev or Sheffield.

That would assist you surely and also help 2 other Championship clubs at the same time. ;)

there is no franchising
there is and never was any guarantee that clubs would not have financial problems: this would be impossible.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

from what i'm reading and what what i'm hearing from people within the game, superleague is going into freefall and i wouldn't be surprised if some clubs don't make it through next season. this will no doubt impact on the lower divisions. some s/l clubs are only running u19s next season, which means they can't accommodate all the players from this seasons u18s and u20s, which will see a lot of these lads released or sent out on loan to championship clubs. it's time self interest was set aside and administrators were brought in from the nrl to sort this mess out.

where did you read it OR?
Woiuldn't mind having a read of it
Keeping it local

#14 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

there is no franchising
there is and never was any guarantee that clubs would not have financial problems: this would be impossible.

Guarantees, no. Improved financial performance was supposed to one of the benefits of its(licencing) introduction though. Do you think its been succesful in this respect?

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Guarantees, no. Improved financial performance was supposed to one of the benefits of its(licencing) introduction though. Do you think its been succesful in this respect?

it's up to the clubs how well they perform financially, there is no system anywhere on earth that can make anyone improve their 'financial performance'. The system is supposed to encourage clubs to run themselves more professionally.
I think it's been highly successful: Featherstone Rovers is a shining example of it.

If you look at the clubs in SL who are having difficulties, would you say that it was down to the 'system' or are the clubs themselves responsible?
Keeping it local

#16 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

there is no franchising

Yes it would Chris. But I do remember Maurice Lindsay 'selling us' the concept of Sl in which he emphasised the clubs in SL would now be stable and would be able to attract and develop the best british talent.
Of course that was 16 years ago and he couldn't have possibly forseen the impact of the current fiscal turmoil and the impact that Union going fully pro just before then would have had on the future of League.

BUT........ he was nevertheless, way way off the mark. From what I understand, Wakey, Crusaders, Northern, Salford and now Hull KR are or have recently been up sh it creek. Cas posted a whacking loss last year and are warned that another significant loss is heading their way this year. London's problems are well documented and Widnes are towing so I am led to believe. Their annual P&L will confirm one way or t'other.
Licencing has done little, if anything at all to prevent this - again, one of the selling points of licencing was that it would negate the need to overspend to escape relegation... now I don't know whether that was just rugby spin or a valid point. Either way it's bol lox!

Now we've argued the merits of the licencing system many times. Whether the recent fiscal nightmares in SL is owt to do with licencing OR whether that's just a scape goat for a wider, more deep rooted problem I don't know. But it does appear the game is on it's @r se and licencing has done little but to make life much harder for those underneath the 'promised land' that is SL.

Would I want to see Fev in SL?? Well of course I would. But there are swerious flaws within this system.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#17 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

it's up to the clubs how well they perform financially, there is no system anywhere on earth that can make anyone improve their 'financial performance'. The system is supposed to encourage clubs to run themselves more professionally.
I think it's been highly successful: Featherstone Rovers is a shining example of it.

If you look at the clubs in SL who are having difficulties, would you say that it was down to the 'system' or are the clubs themselves responsible?

SL are responsible for awarding licences - one of the criteria being fiscal suitability and business planning Chris. Crusaders were vetted and would have been awarded a licence for heavens sake. Bradford were awarded a B licence. Yet Fax were scrutinised as appropriate as Lehamn's/BCCI/Woolworth's/Northern rock..... or insert any other fiscal lost cause!
SL do have, and do assume responsibility Chris!

Edited by Robin Evans, 12 September 2012 - 10:19 AM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#18 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

SL are responsible for awarding licences - one of the criteria being fiscal suitability and business planning Chris. Crusaders were vetted and would have been awarded a licence for heavens sake. Bradford were awarded a B licence. Yet Fax were scrutinised as appropriate as Lehamn's/BCCI/Woolworth's/Northern rock..... or insert any other fiscal lost cause!
SL do have, and do assume responsibility Chris!

I didn't say they didn't/don't have responsibility: they certainly were culpable in the case of Crusaders. But that's like the clubs, down to the personnel involved and their judgement.

We run our country on democratic lines. Most of us think it's a good system: but we still get Cameron, Blair, Thatcher and the rest running the joint.

Not that I'm saying that Rugby League should democratic, but you take my point I hope.

There is no panacea
what there is, is an attempt to stop people being stupid: whether that attempt is better than a free for all...a free for all in name only, since many clubs never had a sniff of joining the elite in the past anyway, is up to the individual to decide.
Keeping it local

#19 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

Absolutely agree, the clubs in trouble are responsible for where they find themselves. But one of the supposed benefits of licencing was that there would be fewer such occurances. Im not blaming licencing for creating a problem, i am querying whether it is helping to solve one.

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Absolutely agree, the clubs in trouble are responsible for where they find themselves. But one of the supposed benefits of licencing was that there would be fewer such occurances. Im not blaming licencing for creating a problem, i am querying whether it is helping to solve one.

we don't know whether there would have been fewer or more and we can't know.

Clubs, including importantly clubs outside SL run themselves far more professionally on the whole. That doesn't guarantee success, and people will still be stupid. IMHO thsat professionalism is down to the system we have inn place.
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users