Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

where did you read it OR?
Woiuldn't mind having a read of it

you could make a start by reading the link above re. hull kr. also salfords plight is in the public domain, steve ferris statement on cas official website, etc
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#22 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,246 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

you could make a start by reading the link above re. hull kr. also salfords plight is in the public domain, steve ferris statement on cas official website, etc

I'd already read it. So on that basis SL is going into freefall is it?

But then again you also have inside knowledge from 'people within the game' . Who are these people? I bet it's secret isn't it?

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 12 September 2012 - 11:08 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#23 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

Chris. hull kr have announced 500k losses and their chairman sounds like he's had enough.
Wakey last year went up sh it creek. so did crusaders. Northern this year. salford bailed out to the tune of £1m, naming rights to stadium gone and crippling loan repayments to be made.
Cas posted huge losses with even more expected.
Widnes are towing but i wait for the P&L for accurate numbers.
Those clubs are those we know about. that's half of the games elite competition.
Now i realise that doesn't indicate 'freefalling', but for heaven's sake, the evidence is there to see.
If the games not on its ar se its giving a good impression of being so!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#24 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,246 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

Chris. hull kr have announced 500k losses and their chairman sounds like he's had enough.
Wakey last year went up sh it creek. so did crusaders. Northern this year. salford bailed out to the tune of £1m, naming rights to stadium gone and crippling loan repayments to be made.
Cas posted huge losses with even more expected.
Widnes are towing but i wait for the P&L for accurate numbers.
Those clubs are those we know about. that's half of the games elite competition.
Now i realise that doesn't indicate 'freefalling', but for heaven's sake, the evidence is there to see.
If the games not on its ar se its giving a good impression of being so!

Sports clubs posting losses and having debts, well fan my brow.

Aren't Wakefield in a stronger position this year compared to last year?
Isn't the Bulls situation of their own making? And don't they have new owners on board?

There are major problems here.

but the game isn't on its ass and it isn't in freefall.

Who is this 'Northern' you speak off.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 12 September 2012 - 11:46 AM.

Keeping it local

#25 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

At least half of the 'elite' comp is experiencing serious difficulties Chris. Anecdotally, I'm hearing from players and ex employees that Huddersfield aren't in great shape either.
We can no longer guarantee our best players stay in league - they go to union!
We are as far behind the aussies as ever - but we agree, there are a zillion other reasons for this.
We have had more clubs up sh it creek in such a short space of time than I can remember.
The RFL's own scrutiny has been left wanting.
There perseverence with Crusaders, despite evidence to the contrary, and the RFL's involvement in the visa fiasco, moving sticks to wrexham etc, left the RFL looking - I'll use embarrassed ....I could use a plethora of other descriptors.
The inability to adress the gap twixt SL and the game below SL.
The absence of any 'where to we go from here plan'... It's the "we have licencing now and we're stickjing with it cos it's the best thing ever and by the time we properly evaluate it and the games gone down the U bend, it'll be too late, but ne'er mind eh" that still agrieves me.
There have always been clubs going ar se upards - including our own. But since licencing was introduced there does appear to have been many more high profile 'difficulties' than I can ever remember.

You think the game is not on it's botty?? I think it is!! C'est la vie. There goes a difference of opinion.

Your definition of not being on it's ar se and mine are evidently different.

#26 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

I'd already read it. So on that basis SL is going into freefall is it?

But then again you also have inside knowledge from 'people within the game' . Who are these people? I bet it's secret isn't it?

no it's not a secret. i'm just not telling you.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#27 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,246 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

At least half of the 'elite' comp is experiencing serious difficulties Chris. Anecdotally, I'm hearing from players and ex employees that Huddersfield aren't in great shape either.
We can no longer guarantee our best players stay in league - they go to union!
We are as far behind the aussies as ever - but we agree, there are a zillion other reasons for this.
We have had more clubs up sh it creek in such a short space of time than I can remember.
The RFL's own scrutiny has been left wanting.
There perseverence with Crusaders, despite evidence to the contrary, and the RFL's involvement in the visa fiasco, moving sticks to wrexham etc, left the RFL looking - I'll use embarrassed ....I could use a plethora of other descriptors.
The inability to adress the gap twixt SL and the game below SL.
The absence of any 'where to we go from here plan'... It's the "we have licencing now and we're stickjing with it cos it's the best thing ever and by the time we properly evaluate it and the games gone down the U bend, it'll be too late, but ne'er mind eh" that still agrieves me.
There have always been clubs going ar se upards - including our own. But since licencing was introduced there does appear to have been many more high profile 'difficulties' than I can ever remember.

You think the game is not on it's botty?? I think it is!! C'est la vie. There goes a difference of opinion.

Your definition of not being on it's ar se and mine are evidently different.

when the game is in the state it was in the 70s(them wot days), then I'll agree with you.

Would this state of affairs-game on ass/knees or whatever have happened under the previous way the game was run? Would have been worse? We don't know. But the game was run in a far less professional way before and for a while after 1995.

Is it the system or the acts of individuals? Well it's always nice to blame somebody-and in the case of Crusaders somebody should have got the sack, but overall if individuals are responsible, thren it's IMHO at club level.

Will these clubs and SL survive? I reckon so. Will people learn from this? Some will some won't: c'est la vie.

edit: anyway, time to crank the SG up. I'ver got a lesson at 2 o clock-CAGED and all that

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 12 September 2012 - 12:32 PM.

Keeping it local

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,246 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

no it's not a secret. i'm just not telling you.

you forgot to put 'so there', on the end

you child.

Do you think I give a flying #### about you non 'secrets'?
Keeping it local

#29 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

you forgot to put 'so there', on the end

you child.

Do you think I give a flying #### about you non 'secrets'?

calm down dear.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#30 Chappies Dummy

Chappies Dummy
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

Featherstone are a much better run club than in the past but my question would be how long can we keep it up? How long before the current bod get fed up and leave? I think superleague is a closed shop to clubs like ours, id like to believe otherwise but i dont. And if this is the case i think people like mark cambell will eventually get fed up and leave. Where would we be then?
I sincierly hope that this isnt the case and teams like ours and fax get a fair chance at superleague or otherwise i fear for their futures

#31 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,246 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

Featherstone are a much better run club than in the past but my question would be how long can we keep it up? How long before the current bod get fed up and leave? I think superleague is a closed shop to clubs like ours, id like to believe otherwise but i dont. And if this is the case i think people like mark cambell will eventually get fed up and leave. Where would we be then?
I sincierly hope that this isnt the case and teams like ours and fax get a fair chance at superleague or otherwise i fear for their futures

Fax have been in super league
Keeping it local

#32 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

The difference between now and the 70s is the amount of money in the game from TV rites

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#33 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

And I think what irks people is not so much that clubs are still going belly up despite the sky money and predominatley super league clubs. This is the league where we were told that there would be no more boom and bust!

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#34 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

This is the league where we were told that there would be no more boom and bust!

I'm sure I've heard that somewhere outside RL too. :blink: :lol:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#35 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,246 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

And I think what irks people is not so much that clubs are still going belly up despite the sky money and predominatley super league clubs. This is the league where we were told that there would be no more boom and bust!

don't recall that

and I don't recall the boom parts of thre previousd era either
Keeping it local

#36 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

don't recall that

and I don't recall the boom parts of thre previousd era either

That's one of the quotes Mo used when selling SL to the proletariat way back when Chris.
Whether there was boom or bust in previous administrations is largely irrelevant now Chris. This is now. Northern have gone down the pan this year. There are few, if any comparisons to be made to Northerns previous demise in the 60's.

Clubs that are going to the wall now are doing so in the Summer/SL/licencing era. An era precided over until recently by woods/lewis who's spin on the licencing/finances have been wholly stacking their weight behind a system they believe in and would contribute in minimising such collapses as Northen, Salford, HKR, Crusaders, Wakey etc etc etc.
It's what we do now that matters. Not 1977. From what I see - there isn't a plan. Just carry on regardless.

Edited by Robin Evans, 12 September 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#37 Chappies Dummy

Chappies Dummy
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

Fax have been in super league

and how did fax get into super league?

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,246 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

That's one of the quotes Mo used when selling SL to the proletariat way back when Chris.
Whether there was boom or bust in previous administrations is largely irrelevant now Chris. This is now. Northern have gone down the pan this year. There are few, if any comparisons to be made to Northerns previous demise in the 60's.

Clubs that are going to the wall now are doing so in the Summer/SL/licencing era. An era precided over until recently by woods/lewis who's spin on the licencing/finances have been wholly stacking their weight behind a system they believe in and would contribute in minimising such collapses as Northen, Salford, HKR, Crusaders, Wakey etc etc etc.
It's what we do now that matters. Not 1977. From what I see - there isn't a plan. Just carry on regardless.

it wasn't me who invoked boom and bust.
what could the RFL have done about gthe ###### business decisons taken by the Bulls and Hull KR for instance? The Harris and Mason fisacos must have cost them a fortune. It's thre clubs that need to plan, and act in a responsible way.

The Bulls haven't 'gone down the pan'.

It is what we do now that that matters: but there are those that hanker for what was in place in 1977 right up to 1995. I'm not sure what plans were in place then.

What form should the plans you say are non existent take?

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 12 September 2012 - 05:18 PM.

Keeping it local

#39 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,246 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

and how did fax get into super league?

they were inaugural members
Keeping it local

#40 Chappies Dummy

Chappies Dummy
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

they were inaugural members

let me put it another way, do you believe a club like ours or fax will replace any current team in sl under licensing because i dont

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users