RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hillsborough (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#21 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,616 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

Full report can be downloaded here...

http://www.official-...5/0581/0581.pdf
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#22 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

I hope this isn't too off topic, but is David Cameron apologising on behalf of the Conservative Government because at the time of this disaster the country was also a Conservative Government? Or is that just coincedence?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#23 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,144 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

And this guy: http://en.wikipedia..../Irvine_Patnick

it seems he is still alive, his comments will be interesting.

#24 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

I hope this isn't too off topic, but is David Cameron apologising on behalf of the Conservative Government because at the time of this disaster the country was also a Conservative Government? Or is that just coincedence?

Just coincidence. He's apologising on behalf of the British government and its representatives. It does resonate more because he's a Tory.

Milliband also apologised for the continuance of the cover-up under 'all governments since 1989' or similar line which covered the Labour side of things.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

it seems he is still alive, his comments will be interesting.

I'm hoping we can find some Liverpool fans to ###### on him and steal his possessions.

It's what he thinks they do after all.
- Severus, July 2012

#26 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

Irvine Patnick was a particularly nasty individual even by 1989 Conservative Party standards.

#27 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,144 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

So, if I understand thing correctly.

1. There had been previous incidents
2. Sheffield Wednesday Football club had been warned that their ground was not safe.
3. The local authorities and the club let the game go ahead despite this
4. When the inevitable happened, the police and emergency services did not respond adequately.
5. the police then embarked on a deliberate cover up and deliberately misled the media and politicians, many of whom wanted to believe what they had been told rather than questioning it.
6. That cover up continued for many years.

Edited by JohnM, 12 September 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,563 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

As well as Kelvin MacKenzie's weaselly apology, the original author of that Sun article is 'aghast' at the choice of headline. All of a sudden, like.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#29 GURNER

GURNER
  • Coach
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Very emotional afternoon for sure. Vindication of the campaign but justice has yet to be seen to be done
Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

#30 GURNER

GURNER
  • Coach
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

As well as Kelvin MacKenzie's weaselly apology, the original author of that Sun article is 'aghast' at the choice of headline. All of a sudden, like.

Now the cynical side of me would suggest that the tosser mackenzie had this statement prepared many moons ago for an event such as this. No contrition on that ballbags behalf at all. and the south yorkshire police had the date wrong, which tells me they hadn't prepared a statement

Edited by GURNER, 12 September 2012 - 03:47 PM.

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

#31 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

So, if I understand thing correctly.

1. There had been previous incidents
2. Sheffield Wednesday Football club had been warned that their ground was not safe.
3. The local authorities and the club let the game go ahead despite this
4. When the inevitable happened, the police and emergency services did not respond adequately.
5. the police then embarked on a deliberate cover up and deliberately misled the media and politicians, many of whom wanted to believe what they had been told rather than questioning it.
6. That cover up continued for many years.

The 1981 semi played between Spurs and Wolves at Hillsborough witnessed fans being ushered onto the pitch due to overcrowding. From what I have read of the incident, it appears a newly-built wall collapsed. Tottenham were awarded the Leppings Lane End, despite the club's overwhelming support.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#32 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

I ask this in all innocence as I haven't followed this subject as closely as others

I keep hearing this phrase.

justice has yet to be seen to be done

What would actually constitute justice, ie what does anyone involved want the conclusion/outcome/actions to be?

#33 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

I ask this in all innocence as I haven't followed this subject as closely as others

What would actually constitute justice, ie what does anyone involved want the conclusion/outcome/actions to be?

I would guess criminal charges against those responsible for the disaster and any cover up.
Fides invicta triumphat

#34 GURNER

GURNER
  • Coach
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

that those actually in a position to have been accountable for the disaster, face the justice system. Nothing more nothing less

#35 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,144 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

..more than just the cover up but also the negligence leading up to it.....and some recompense for the costs of the 23 year fight for justice.

#36 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

For mine there are a few things, some of which have happened today.

The first was the absolute and total removal of any suggestion of guilt from the dead themselves and the other fans there that day. The second was an acceptance that the 3.15pm cut off used at the inquest was ludicrous and wrong. Both those things have now happened but they should now lead to a new inquest looking at, where possible, the individual deaths themselves and now the totality of the day.

The final thing, for justice, is that a staggering criminal conspiracy has been laid bare. Not just besmirching the names of the dead, the injured, the survivors and the bereaved but removing from evidence and hiding from view the negligence and contempt that caused the deaths of 96 people. Those responsible should face the law.
- Severus, July 2012

#37 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

People who have done far less than Kelvin McKenzie did when he printed that headline and story are never seen again on TV and we don't have to listen to their drivel.

Will the same be true of him?
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#38 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

I see all that but I also just keep hearing slogans and vagueness

I guess the first in line will be South Yorkshire Police

Then who? Will that be the end of it and a line be drawn or will this subject rumble on and others be pursued? If so who?

#39 GURNER

GURNER
  • Coach
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

I see all that but I also just keep hearing slogans and vagueness

I guess the first in line will be South Yorkshire Police

Then who? Will that be the end of it and a line be drawn or will this subject rumble on and others be pursued? If so who?

maybe you are playing devils advocate, maybe you are just thick, maybe you should do some research and come back without prejudice. Your questions have been answered, why assume south yorks police would be first in line? go look it up if answers here are vague

#40 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

maybe you are playing devils advocate, maybe you are just thick, maybe you should do some research and come back without prejudice. Your questions have been answered, why assume south yorks police would be first in line? go look it up if answers here are vague

Having seen a few minutes of the press conference at the cathedral on the news I simply wondered if this is a subject that can ever be concluded and what actions it would practically take for those so tragically involved to ever be at rest about it

It was always risky asking on here, where people are quick to jump down others throats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users