Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hillsborough (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

It may be 20+ years on but at least we're getting to be pretty clear on who the real #### were on the day and afterwards.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#102 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

Honestly, that wasn't such a bad word to be swearified.

- Severus, July 2012

#103 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,345 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

maybe not but this is: **** , no more no less. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Edited by ckn, 20 August 2013 - 09:35 AM.
Another word to add to the sweary word filter

#104 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

A bit too much opinion and faux outrage from the newspaper in that article, much like many of the articles on this story.  Just tell the truth, it's shocking and damning enough without having to jazz it up a bit to make a story.  It also devalues the entire Hillsborough tragedy and crime by making it into an endless media pit where journalists can just poke the victims families with carefully worded headlines and get soundbite reactions, if they don't get the right reaction they go on to the next victim until they get one that suits.

The truth of the story is near the bottom:

The Deputy Chief Constable of South Yorkshire, Andy Holt, said yesterday: “In 1991 a number of organisations which had been involved in the tragedy, including South Yorkshire Police, were contacted by the trustees and invited to submit suggestions about how they could use some of the residual money better to equip them.

“As a result, South Yorkshire Police formally submitted a number of suggestions.” He added: “I am not aware that any of the various suggestions succeeded in attracting funding. ”

If the police had declined to accept any offer of aid for the police officers, some of whom genuinely have PTSD as a result of Hillsborough, then I can easily imagined a story headline today of "Callous police chiefs rejected Hillsborough Fund's generous offer of aid to policemen affected by Hillsborough tragedy".

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#105 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

A bit too much opinion and faux outrage from the newspaper in that article, much like many of the articles on this story.  Just tell the truth, it's shocking and damning enough without having to jazz it up a bit to make a story.  It also devalues the entire Hillsborough tragedy and crime by making it into an endless media pit where journalists can just poke the victims families with carefully worded headlines and get soundbite reactions, if they don't get the right reaction they go on to the next victim until they get one that suits.

The truth of the story is near the bottom:

If the police had declined to accept any offer of aid for the police officers, some of whom genuinely have PTSD as a result of Hillsborough, then I can easily imagined a story headline today of "Callous police chiefs rejected Hillsborough Fund's generous offer of aid to policemen affected by Hillsborough tragedy".

I can cope with the police being in a no-win situation.

- Severus, July 2012

#106 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,345 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

maybe not but this is: **** , no more no less. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Edited by ckn, Today, 10:35 AM. 
Another word to add to the sweary word filter.......Pleased to be of assistance!  

Edited by JohnM, 20 August 2013 - 09:38 AM.

#107 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Just when you thought it couldn't get much worse: Hillsborough police paid money found among the dead into force’s coffers

I know the sums don't amount to a huge amount, but it's still effectively robbing from the dead. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#108 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

I like the comment that it was in accordance with the policy in force at the time.

As though such a policy should ever have been in force at any time.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#109 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

Just when you thought it couldn't get much worse: Hillsborough police paid money found among the dead into force’s coffers

I know the sums don't amount to a huge amount, but it's still effectively robbing from the dead. 

Bit of a non-story really. They have so much more to answer for.

28m391z.jpg

#110 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

Bit of a non-story really. They have so much more to answer for.

Maybe in itself pretty trivial, but had this, along with some of the other things that have subsequently come out about SYP, been known at the time altered the course of events? I think so. For example it would have gone a long way to undermine the propaganda about the Liverpool fans robbing the dead etc.

Edited by Griff9of13, 02 September 2013 - 02:34 PM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#111 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Bit of a non-story really.

In terms on monetary value, yes.  In terms of principle, no, especially given this headline after the tragedy.

Hillsborough+The+Sun.png

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#112 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

In terms on monetary value, yes.  In terms of principle, no, especially given this headline after the tragedy.

Hillsborough+The+Sun.png

The newspaper article contains outright lies, whereas the £14.53 was handled according to police policy. I appreciate in context the policy seems shocking, especially given the lies that were spread by this police force, but I am sure this policy would have been followed on many occasions previously without comment and probably with much larger sums of money involved.

28m391z.jpg

#113 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

Urinated on the brave cops ?

How brave do you have to be to help someone out of an overcrowded pen ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#114 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

Urinated on the brave cops ?

How brave do you have to be to help someone out of an overcrowded pen ?

I'm ashamed to say I'd never noticed that. I never got past the first outrageous lie.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#115 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

New details on the depth of the police investigation going on now, including investigations into gross negligence manslaughter

#116 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,878 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

Margaret Thatcher's former press secretary 'Sir' Bernard Ingham responds in 1996 to a Liverpool fan unhappy at comments he made about the Hillsborough disaster.

CLICK TO VIEW

What a charmer...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)