Photo
- - - - -

Two new signings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
136 replies to this topic

#121 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

As I say It was from memory. Yeah, thanks Nixon was a kiwi it was Daunt who was the Aussie. Carl Gibson played Full back in the 93/94 and 94/95 Season. I remember this cos circa Nov 93 we played Fax at home a Fax fan said how can someone of Gibson's age have the pace to be a full back, so I gently asked him how old the current 100 metres olympic champion was (Christie being 2 years older than Gibson). Pearson played stand off and Maloney played a mixture of Stand off and centre. I'm sure Tuuta also occasionally filled in at stand off.

#122 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

Didnt Carl Gibson come in when Currier got injured?

Currier, Gibson and Calland were all signed within 1 month of one another but as you say he may have been brought in after Currier's close season injury.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 21 September 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#123 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

I don't think Francis Malloney played in the centre but always at stand off. From what I recall the 93/94 season Franny had a storming start and was outstanding when we beat Wigan at home. We also had Martin Pearson and because of Frany's form he played full back. Franny then got tapped up and handed in a transfer request which resulted in him being dropped and Pee wee was then reverted back to his prefered position of stand off. Pee wees first game back at 6 was Wakefield away and he had an absoloute stormer. Franny was then sold onto Warrington at the end of the season and we bought Mark Aston.

The 94/95 seaon pee wee had a season endining cruciate ligament injury versus Salford away and we brough Mark Nixon in to replace him. However Nixon was not very creative so we moved him into the centre and played Tuuta at 6. I remeber the Calland try at Elland road very cleary because for 1 second I though I would be seeing my beloved Featherstone Rovers at Wembley, however Jim Fallon ripped us to bits down the right side and a week later we had no club because we were being forced to merge with Cas & Wakey. From being on top of the world to having no club devestated me, however I am proud to say that we thought the merger resulting in the Rovers being a very special part of my life and always will be.

Good knowledge, far better than my memory, although I'm sure Pearson did his ligaments v Bradford at home in the night game. The Salford game was roughly a week before this.

#124 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Good knowledge, far better than my memory, although I'm sure Pearson did his ligaments v Bradford at home in the night game. The Salford game was roughly a week before this.

Definitely at Salford. He made a break down the right wing and instead of using the inside support went for glory himself; got tackled........ and as they say the rest is history.

#125 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

Definitely at Salford. He made a break down the right wing and instead of using the inside support went for glory himself; got tackled........ and as they say the rest is history.

The funny thing is I'm sure he played v Bradford the week after. There is a video of it somewhere and he limps off during the game, is it possible they patched him up and he finally did them good an proper the week later? It's the game that was Newlove's first game back at POR, I remember him getting some treatment. MLP could you help please, did he play in the Bradford game and was it the week after the Salford game? As I say, I thought my recollections were better than they actually are so I may be totally off the mark.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 21 September 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#126 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,602 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

The funny thing is I'm sure he played v Bradford the week after. There is a video of it somewhere and he limps off during the game, is it possible they patched him up and he finally did them good an proper the week later? It's the game that was Newlove's first game back at POR, I remember him getting some treatment. MLP could you help please, did he play in the Bradford game and was it the week after the Salford game? As I say, I thought my recollections were better than they actually are so I may be totally off the mark.

Blinkin' 'eck, don't drag me into it. I can't remember that far back.

Oh, go on then.

We played at Salford 11 Sept. Then Bradford at home 16 Sept. Pearson started both matches at stand-off, and never played again that year.

#127 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,602 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

Definitely NOT from memory btw.

#128 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

Thanks buddy. I'm glad I wasn't imagining in it.

#129 Tex Evans Thigh

Tex Evans Thigh
  • Coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

i remember the furore around pearson playing with injections. bad decision. was that the game newlove got pushed into the barriers by neil roebuck when they had that awful green n blue away kit sponsored by Vaux?

Gibson was a Currier replacement i remember a programme saying the number 4 shirt was hard to fill. i was only 11 at the time mind.
Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

Posted Image
MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "
Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

#130 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

i remember the furore around pearson playing with injections. bad decision. was that the game newlove got pushed into the barriers by neil roebuck when they had that awful green n blue away kit sponsored by Vaux?

Gibson was a Currier replacement i remember a programme saying the number 4 shirt was hard to fill. i was only 11 at the time mind.

I think I was at that game, attending with my friend and his parents who were Bradford Northern fans. Paul Grayshon was playing. A poor mans Brendan Hill, very fat, with some deceptive ball skills.
What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

#131 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

Cheers Andrew and MLP I can now recall a patched up pee wee playing against Bradford. I am sure that there was an incident where Courier hit Newlove with a late high shot and I even think he saw red for it. I also remember that awful green vaux kit and the Roebuck incident.

Just to stay off topic wasn't the Carl Gibson side step the most obvious in the game but for some reason it nearly always worked. He would run from side to side and then just drop his shoulder and go.

"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#132 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,602 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

Cheers Andrew and MLP I can now recall a patched up pee wee playing against Bradford. I am sure that there was an incident where Courier hit Newlove with a late high shot and I even think he saw red for it. I also remember that awful green vaux kit and the Roebuck incident.

Just to stay off topic wasn't the Carl Gibson side step the most obvious in the game but for some reason it nearly always worked. He would run from side to side and then just drop his shoulder and go.

Yes, I think Currier was sent off.

Ha! Gibbo, yes. :D . He had a huge step. We all knew it was coming, but it still worked.

#133 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

He always reminded me of Mr. Motivator.

Attached Files

Edited by Andrew Vause, 22 September 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#134 Mark Ashton

Mark Ashton
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

I was on a Hull Rotterdam ferry drinking with Gibbo 4 years ago, he has nothing but fond memories of his time at Fev

Edited by Mark Ashton, 22 September 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#135 roosterbooster

roosterbooster
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

I remember watching a pre-season friendly when we played Chequerfield at their place. Gibson had blood on his shirt and when it was pointed out to him, he just shrugged and said "ah well, it's not mine"

That was when the club had some sponsorship from Cica and Pee Wee was wearing their revolutionary new blade type boots. He changed them before half time lol - "get me my adidas" he called to the sideline :D I think that was the same game.

Although the thing that sticks in my mind was the sponsored car for Mark Aston. Not sure why.

#136 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Going back to signings. Quite a few people have said we need new props for cover. I reckon we already have it. With Haley back to fitness and Bostock being used as a front row I rekon we are covered. Bostock is one of our biggest players and I think he will make a prop. Haley we all know at his best is a very good prop. So are we covered? What does anybody else think.

#137 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

Heard Bostock was stopping but what about Haley is he signed on for next season We were told there would be 4-5 S/L quality signings but up to press have only signed 1 so unless we were mid informed one of them may be a prop. We also tried to sign Tonka so the coaching staff must think we need at least one