Dom Maloney, outstanding

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

Trouble with that Terry it's NOT how we see it and we don't seem to be th R/L's fav team !!

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 14 September 2012 - 08:48 AM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#22 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Trouble with that Terry it's NOT how we see it and we don't seem to be th R/L's fav team !!

Maybe but Kyle had a hand in the tackle as well as his feet and there's no conclusive evidence to prove that Stu DELIBERATELY kicked out at an opponent. As Nobby said on the commentary he has every right to do what he can to get a quick play the ball. It happens in nine out of ten tackles as players fight to get off the ground. Stu made contact but proving it was deliberate would be difficult in my opinion.

Top game by Dom by the way. Well done to Daryl and the lads, three consecutive league leaders shields and GF appearances is an awesome achievement.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#23 IanFalkiner

IanFalkiner
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

Kicking out in the tackle - I have not seen Stuarts incident yet but if the RFL disciplinary are consistent (ok I know I am being silly now) he will have no problems. Golden boy Sam Tomkins has been reported FOUR times this season for kicking out in the tackle, NFA once and cautioned THREE times. Stuart has been up once for the alleged head-butt at Halifax.

#24 Vince

Vince
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

I thought Leigh played very well, and certainly for the first half, they completely had our number. They moved the ball about quickly in attack that had us stretched and were quick off the line in defence to nullify our attacks. Where we did appear to struggle was with in finding any imagination in attack; we appeared to have a number of pre-planned moves, and just kept trying them. What was really needed was a bit of individual flair; something that we seemed to lack in what was a workmanlike performance.

What we did clearly manage to do however was tire Leigh out, so that in the 2nd half we were able to exploit the gaps that began to appear. That’s not the first time that has happened this season; in fact I remember it well from Keighley away in the first league game of the season. Clearly our fitness is top drawer compared to many of the other teams in the division.

Good to see Dom get mom, in what in my opinion was his best performance in Fev shirt. If he could put performances in like that every week, it’s a shame he won’t be staying.

As for the on report incidents, what on earth was Kyle thinking when he positioned himself like that to tackle. I could tell it was going to be a trip before the man got to him! Hopefully that will just be a warning for what can only be described as a moment of very poor technique, but with no malicious intent whatsoever. Stuart I feel will be lucky to escape a ban for clearly kicking out at an opponent. I won’t say that it wasn’t provoked, as I didn’t see the start of the incident, however that doesn’t absolve him of blame, and it’s not the first time he’s done it this season. He really ought to know better. As for the brawl at the end, correct decision by the ref to send Henderson off. I couldn’t tell who was first in for afters, however if it was Engy, then I’d suspect he’ll cop a ban too, especially having already been up for punching once this season. Again, he ought to know better.

All in all, I thought the ref had a decent game. Yes, some high shots were let go, however he did seem fairly consistent in this respect. The kick on Finny was clearly missed, however that should have been the linesman reporting it. The penalty count did swing from one side to the other; however the majority of those given were against the defending team at the time, and thus reflected the balance of play. Leigh were perhaps unlucky with the couple of disallowed tries, however you’d hope that the video ref was in the best position to make the right call. The key point in the penalties being given was the indiscipline of the two teams.

All in all, great game. Maybe biased, but I’d say the best team on the night won, although the scoreline was probably a little bit flattering in the end.

Nice to see someone looking at the full 80 minutes rather than isolated incidents. As ever with refs we gained from some decisions (disallowed tries) and lost from others (stamping missed).

#25 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

Aye, could be a few missing. The irony of that could be any 1 game bans handed out could yet see our players banned for the final, and Leigh's returning from suspension.

Gaz, surely we would have the sense to have a reserve game sorted for next saturday :) to be taken into consideration for any bans forth coming

Edited by The Grinder, 14 September 2012 - 03:04 PM.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#26 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

having looked at the leigh forum on rl fans, i agree with maurice, one of the major incidents was when one of their forwards (10 i think) tried a completely unnecessary offload and gave away possession in his own half, at a time when leigh were looking comfortable, things seemed to go downhill for them from there. didn't see the obstruction, thought it was a try at the time. the forward pass, tbh i was in line and i've seen far worse been allowed. great game by 2 teams who gave everything, put s/l to shame.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#27 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,464 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Superb effort from Maloney. The introduction of Dickens gave the whole team a massive lift. I can't see how Briggs (falling down with his arm out) or Dickens (not even looking at the time) will get called on their incidents. Handbags is handbags so it'd be tough if Anthony England got called.

A Fev Blog

#28 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

Gaz, surely we would have the sense to have a reserve game sorted for next saturday :) to be taen into consideration for any bans forth coming

:lol:

The Reserves' season's over and friendlies don't count.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#29 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

The forward pass disalowed try was forward by about a yard and half

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#30 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

:lol:

The Reserves' season's over and friendlies don't count.

Are you sure Griff? You can count 1 pre-season friendly towards a ban! However given that I don't know this area of the regulations well enough I'll accept what you say to be true, but would suggest that as a club we should check if friendlies during the season can be used (it's all in the wording). :)
I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#31 andyc

andyc
  • Coach
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

I haven't a clue what has been wrote lol
Eh?

Edited by andyc, 14 September 2012 - 03:41 PM.

WatchED Rovers since 74-75 seasons,as mad about rovers 35 years on(the wife thinks i,m mad).
ROVERS ROVERS

#32 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Can't see anyone getting a ban Briggs poor tackling technique Dickens not intensional caution If you watch the scuffle at the end England ran in but didn't punch anyone although there was fists flying for one of our players and their number 9 It's Leigh players that need to worry Henderson high tackle ( good to see Briggs not milking it and getting up not all player would have ) and the stamp on Finn To be honest who ever we meet in final hope both sides have full team out and it's a good game

And yes Dom was excellent last night

Edited by jt, 14 September 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#33 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,977 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

title says it all, i'd already said he was our best player, then he goes and scores a fantastic try, then runs onto a short ball like a train and sets up another. great game Dom lad.

Just seen the highlights OR. Bloody hell, he didn't afe put himself about didn't he. Regardless of his 2 tries, the one he set up for Hardo was an absolute belter.
Best game in a Fev shirt. Jeez, did he want it!!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#34 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,464 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

The forward pass disalowed try was forward by about a yard and half

If it had gone against us I'd've been really disappointed.

A Fev Blog

#35 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,977 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

If it had gone against us I'd've been really disappointed.

yup. seen much worse let go. same with the obstruction to be honest.

#36 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

Just seen the highlights OR. Bloody hell, he didn't afe put himself about didn't he. Regardless of his 2 tries, the one he set up for Hardo was an absolute belter.
Best game in a Fev shirt. Jeez, did he want it!!

I think what we are witnessing is "A man on fire". Here is a man that is ready to give up relative security and a decent sporting career to lay his body on the line for Queen an Country. His is an informed decision and he knows full well he could end up in Afghanistan. In the meantime he is playing out the last days of his rugby career as if there is no tomorrow. Laying his body on the line on the rugby field is small potatoes compared to where he is going. It is highly likely that, as the final is likely to be his last game, his performance will be just as good, if not better. I can't wait!
Whatever the result, I hope we can all bid him a fond farewell.

#37 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

Its one of the best prop displays i have seen in a long time, he was steaming into tackles, made at least 4 line breaks, showed composure( pass to hardman) timing. It had the lot simply outstanding and if I can spare a fiver a might tell him so mi sen :D

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#38 Cush

Cush
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

I think what we are witnessing is "A man on fire". Here is a man that is ready to give up relative security and a decent sporting career to lay his body on the line for Queen an Country. His is an informed decision and he knows full well he could end up in Afghanistan. In the meantime he is playing out the last days of his rugby career as if there is no tomorrow. Laying his body on the line on the rugby field is small potatoes compared to where he is going. It is highly likely that, as the final is likely to be his last game, his performance will be just as good, if not better. I can't wait!
Whatever the result, I hope we can all bid him a fond farewell.

Great Post Steve.

#39 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,977 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

. It had the lot simply outstanding and if I can spare a fiver a might tell him so mi sen :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Robin Evans, 16 September 2012 - 07:42 AM.

#40 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

Nice to see someone looking at the full 80 minutes rather than isolated incidents. As ever with refs we gained from some decisions (disallowed tries) and lost from others (stamping missed).

The stamping incident, Littler, I believe, occurred within a couple of yards of the linesman and myself. A double offence, stamping on the chest and then the side of the face. No action taken by the linesman. Even Finny ran across to complain. Utterly disgusting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users